• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insuring books that are shipped TO CGC. Who? How?
4 4

35 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2023 at 12:11 AM, AmbassadorSlip said:

I have never, and will never, fly to a convention. I've never actually been to any large size comic convention, I couldn't care less about that part of the hobby and I would never even consider flying to a place just to have CGC do anything to my comics. I know that's something many people accept as part of the hobby, but I don't. I'm also one of those strange people who doesn't like anyone, not even people involved in the creation of a comic, write or draw on my books. So all that standing in line for hours stuff is lost on me. I don't do the whole celebrity worship thing. 

I was trying to save you some money, but you do you. 

I have never, and will never, fly to a convention. I've never actually been to any large size comic convention, I couldn't care less about that part of the hobby and I would never even consider flying to a place just to have CGC do anything to my comics. I know that's something many people accept as part of the hobby, but I don't. I'm also one of those strange people who doesn't like anyone, not even people involved in the creation of a comic, write or draw on my books. So all that standing in line for hours stuff is lost on me. I don't do the whole celebrity worship thing. 

Would you consider flying directly to Florida and CGC with the comics? I hear Sarasota is beautiful this time of year.

15 Amazing Things To Do In Sunny Sarasota | TravelAwaits

On 11/3/2023 at 12:11 AM, shadroch said:

Get a price on the insurance and compare that to the cost of flying to a show where CGC will be. 

On 11/3/2023 at 1:19 AM, Galen130 said:

IMG_0151.jpeg

I know, I know, I'm an anti-social weirdo, people have told me. Well, actually, those people had fur. BUT THEY TALK TO ME!

I don't do the whole celebrity worship thing. 

Imagine that , me neither , I could care less about who created them or wrote them . I will say however I would never place any value on it , I do notice Jack Kirby art quite easily .

On 11/3/2023 at 10:00 AM, AmbassadorSlip said:

I know, I know, I'm an anti-social weirdo, people have told me. Well, actually, those people had fur. BUT THEY TALK TO ME!

My Pups do talk to me and have personalities that measure up to someone I enjoy being around 24/7

On 11/2/2023 at 5:16 PM, AmbassadorSlip said:

I am thinking this is the best option. My only hesitation is that I've heard that USPS is very difficult to deal with when it comes to claims. Which I hope would not be necessary. I've got four orders in this box and I've decided to break them up and ship each one separately. 

Okay , so ship them on different days also to keep them separated from each other .

On 11/3/2023 at 1:01 AM, AmbassadorSlip said:

I will have to go to the USPS office and pay for registered mail to get the higher insurance value because pirate ship will only sell me a label with up to $5000 in insurance.

The Pirate Ship insurance would be a waste of money. They will only pay out on raw comics or slabs if there is very recent documentation of the value. That would be a sales receipt, evidence of an internet transaction, or an independent appraisal.

No document, no money. They don't use comparable sales. It's in their insurance terms and disclosures, disallowed items.

On 11/3/2023 at 2:11 AM, AmbassadorSlip said:

image.jpeg.a4d000e149a37b83cc746cb6adf05a29.jpeg

On 11/3/2023 at 12:35 PM, Sigur Ros said:

$40,000 and can't afford a plane ticket?

I can afford a colonoscopy too, doesn't mean I want to get one. Some of us don't like taking all that time out of our life, nor flying, nor dealing with the public. If I have to fly all the way across the country for such a simple service, I'll just pass. 

What's with all this fly to Florida talk? Family vacation? How much money is all this gonna cost me? Lost time from work? I'm sorry, but anyone suggesting flying to Florida as an option is kinda outside of the realm of possibilities I live within.

Anyway, books were shipped via USPS registered mail, fully insured. I did have to peel all the plastic tape off the box and re-package with that brown paper tape due to their rules, but it was worth the trouble. I'm 99% sure the books would have reached CGC via plain old Priority mail, but who wants to bet on that 1% probability?