• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missed Defects Major Auction House
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Recent purchase from major auction house that was mis-graded.  They admitted they missed defects. 

Original description was corner piece missing from back cover, 1 inch spine split and tearing at staples.  

They missed an additional 1.25 inch spine split at the top (1 inch spine split they described is at the bottom).

They missed the top staple detached from the front cover.

They missed the large bend/crease in the middle of the front cover running vertically through the Big Cheese and through the rhino’s horn.  

The original grade was 5.0.  How much would these missed defects affect the “grade”? 

Thought more appropriate for the Golden Age Section. 

Front Cover.jpg

Back Cover.jpg

Bottom 1 in spine split.jpg

Top 1.25 inch spine split.jpg

Top Staple.jpg

Center bend crease thru Captain Marvel.jpg

If you are planning to submit this copy to CGC, they may be sweet upon your book.  Either 3.0 to 3.5 for your GA copy.

If you are selling your raw copy,  play it safe with 2.5/3.0.

I can see there are some improvements with pressing. Probably half point at most.

Edited by JollyComics

Those are some pretty serious defects to have overlooked.

I'd be in the 3.0 range on this one since it has nice overall eye appeal, but there's no way I can see a 5.0. 

And I agree, this isn't a good candidate for pressing because of the spine and staple problems...  :(