• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading on a squarebound book
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently acquired a CGC 7.5 copy of Marvel Super Heroes 20, with The thought of cracking and improving it, since the main grader’s note was about tanning.

I’m surprised at the crookedness and smooshedness of the spine for a 7.5. I’m betting I could improve the spine w a press, but it would still have that tear.

So, the question is - do we think this book would ever be above a 7.5 with no tanning and a press?

Thanks for your insight!

95BC0088-FA1E-4B61-B98F-9DED5F09D8BF.jpeg

C2E9F7FF-9AAD-4EA6-A845-6EA97A3C0283.jpeg

5F468F45-F536-49D0-9B2C-D444C4E0EAEE.jpeg

F4FA76FF-2307-4825-82D2-0289B64C3E26.jpeg

FB8A0449-E12B-4B0F-BE52-56316F446C36.jpeg

On 11/4/2023 at 2:26 PM, Corvonie said:

the crookedness and smooshedness of the spine for a 7.5. I’m betting I could improve the spine w a press

What's the back look like?  Is it an actual "spine roll" or is that just production?

Show the open page side.  Not just the spine side.  I want to see if the open edges are aligned.

Edited by Yorick
MORE

On 11/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, Yorick said:

What's the back look like?  Is it an actual "spine roll" or is that just production?

Show the open page side.  Not just the spine side.  I want to see if the open edges are aligned.

Thanks!  The edges look even to me.  I’m more/also wondering about the tears near the bottom of the back spine and whether those destine it to only ever be a 7.5.  Excuse my messy work area!

CFF00DB1-5BF3-4CEA-B262-A3E7AFE92960.jpeg

3B99A56F-C4A6-4125-A286-5C53ECD43B70.jpeg

B2E69A1E-F6A2-4658-AC0E-7FBD3B09ACB7.jpeg

7E0D79BD-46AE-4B5E-BABB-7546505A17BC.jpeg

Edited by Corvonie

Many square bound books have gnarly spines and CGC takes that into account when grading the book. Pressing May marginally make that better but it will also open up other problems. 

You would have to bleach out the tanning and dust shadow in order to improve the whiteness of the cover, which, when done, may garner a conserved grade. 

On 11/5/2023 at 12:16 PM, joeypost said:

Many square bound books have gnarly spines and CGC takes that into account when grading the book. Pressing May marginally make that better but it will also open up other problems. 

You would have to bleach out the tanning and dust shadow in order to improve the whiteness of the cover, which, when done, may garner a conserved grade. 

Thanks for this - and yeah my main impetus for getting this particular copy was that I’ve been working w removing tanning w BLED/sometimes HOP method.  I have some books about to go to CGC to see if they get dinged and that will help me know whether to crack this one.  

On 11/4/2023 at 5:49 PM, Corvonie said:

work area

Cool workspace!  Love seeing the "tools of the trade".  (thumbsu

I would say find a cheap square bound to practice with first.  If the glue attaching the cover pressed in beyond just the spine edge, then you may have to do some tearing to get a clean press across the back cover to get those staple impressions out (or any other work on the back).  A 7.5 for a square bound is not a bad grade at all.  Maybe leave it alone?

On 11/5/2023 at 1:06 PM, Yorick said:

Cool workspace!  Love seeing the "tools of the trade".  (thumbsu

I would say find a cheap square bound to practice with first.  If the glue attaching the cover pressed in beyond just the spine edge, then you may have to do some tearing to get a clean press across the back cover to get those staple impressions out (or any other work on the back).  A 7.5 for a square bound is not a bad grade at all.  Maybe leave it alone?

It’s definitely fine as is and I got it at a good price, but I don’t really care for slabs and am mostly buying books to improve now.  There’s an argument for working on the tanning regardless of whether I keep it or sell it which is just to make it look nicer, but yes I would want to be very ginger with the pressing, especially since it’s really nice and flat.  And I think given page color, etc, if I was doing a real test of re submitting for a blue label, I would be doing the whole book for consistency.  A long, fun project.

Thanks for the input!