• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a Modern Age Expert on Gen 13 - $200 REWARD
1 1

16 posts in this topic

So here's the long and short of it:

Bought a Gen 13 pinup - sold to the previous owner and then myself - as a published promotional piece, penciled by Luke Ross, inked by Sandra Hope. It is identified on the artboard as Gen 13 #14, which came out in November 1996. I cross-checked this with Wizard Magazine #63, which issue #14 appears in the Top Picks/At A Glance department. So this appears to be the correct timeframe for the issue. I am posting here in MA because there's more activity here on modern comics than in the OA section.

I've spent months trying to find the printed example of it, and performed the following:

1. I have looked through several issues before #14 of Gen 13 to see if this was used as a house ad of some kind. Did not see anything.

2. I have looked through several issues of Wizard Magazine prior to #63 to see if it was used to promote an upcoming issue of Gen 13. Did not see anything.

3. Reached out to both Luke Ross and Sandra Hope several times on Instagram. No response. They are not frequently active on Insta, so who knows if they saw it or not.

4. Posted to the ORIGINAL COMIC ART COLLECTORS Facebook page, got limited information from a dude there. It was incorrect, but hey - I appreciated the effort.

THE REWARD:

200 bucks to anyone who can provide me a published example (you don't have to buy it, just send me a screen cap or something) and reference where it came from so I can buy a copy. When I confirm in-hand it's published status - I will Paypal F&F you 200 Big Ones. Here's the rub: if you find nothing, all I can give you is my gratitude that you made the attempt. Suggestions are welcome.

I am now here hoping someone might have other resources to check (i.e., back issues of Previews or Overstreet Fan, or a way to contact Luke or Sandra personally). I've exhausted all avenues on my end, hoping someone here on the boards can come through. I love the art, I'm not selling it, nor do I care if it's not published - but I'm trying to make my best effort to find it if it is. If not, no biggie - If I can't find my solution here, which is my last shot - I'll just accept it's not published. Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading:

Gen13PromoArtbyLukeRossfrom1995.thumb.jpg.a2f59620e5befb24af1f43fca4dbf6a6.jpg

Wizard063-133.thumb.jpg.899cf2ca912fe1e59c380a683c4be43c.jpg

Edited by Dr. Balls

Almost unbelievably, I picked up a run of Gen 13 at a yard sale a couple of years ago which included #14.  I have noted #13, #13B and #13C so if you haven't looked at those variants, it might be in there.  What I don't know is if there are other volumes of Gen 13 with the same numbers (I also ended up with some issues of Gen 13 Bootleg in the same "collection.")  If I can put my hands on these tonight, I'll look through them.  

You have probably heard this before; I could have sworn this was a pin up in one of the "Starting Over: Deluxe Edition" books but while very similar (guns, poses) it is a different image by different artists. I'll look through some of my Image TPB/Sketch books from this time frame later in the week as I love a good hunt and I have the drek to for it.

image.png.20830f7626958b9fadb2145ddc69302c.png

Edit: I also assume you know of this piece titled #15 PROMO

gen13_15_pinup.jpg.485a9d20749f86c0af86a55efc296f68.jpg

Edited by DougC

On 11/7/2023 at 7:48 AM, DougC said:

You have probably heard this before; I could have sworn this was a pin up in one of the "Starting Over: Deluxe Edition" books but while very similar (guns, poses) it is a different image by different artists. I'll look through some of my Image TPB/Sketch books from this time frame later in the week as I love a good hunt and I have the drek to for it.

image.png.20830f7626958b9fadb2145ddc69302c.png

Edit: I also assume you know of this piece titled #15 PROMO

gen13_15_pinup.jpg.485a9d20749f86c0af86a55efc296f68.jpg

That top piece originally was a Wizard fold-out, then used for the Gen 13 1/2, which is one of my favorite Gen 13 images. That other one by Luke was a great piece, and I was an underbidder on it when it was on Comiclink (I think) about 6 months ago. I'd love to snag that one, just because I know Luke did them close together, it'd be fun to have the set.

Thanks for posting Luke's response - I'm happy he responded! That sheds a little light on them - if they were tryouts, they must have worked, because Luke did end up pencilling issue #14 and #15. This might be the end of the journey on these, especially with Luke answering and not thinking they made it to published status. Thank you for that - but the offer still stands if someone finds this thing published somewhere!

On 11/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That top piece originally was a Wizard fold-out, then used for the Gen 13 1/2, which is one of my favorite Gen 13 images. That other one by Luke was a great piece, and I was an underbidder on it when it was on Comiclink (I think) about 6 months ago. I'd love to snag that one, just because I know Luke did them close together, it'd be fun to have the set.

Thanks for posting Luke's response - I'm happy he responded! That sheds a little light on them - if they were tryouts, they must have worked, because Luke did end up pencilling issue #14 and #15. This might be the end of the journey on these, especially with Luke answering and not thinking they made it to published status. Thank you for that - but the offer still stands if someone finds this thing published somewhere!

Not a problem; I also reached out to the art rep that had these back in 2019 but haven't had a reply.

For others who are searching; I checked the PDF's of Previews Magazine looking for solicitations of the 1996 November/December issues but either no image was provided or the cover art for the actual issue was used. I assume if these saw publication it will have been a TPB collection or clipped and used for adds; I haven't checked any of the trading cards though.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:04 PM, DougC said:

Not a problem; I also reached out to the art rep that had these back in 2019 but haven't had a reply.

For others who are searching; I checked the PDF's of Previews Magazine looking for solicitations of the 1996 November/December issues but either no image was provided or the cover art for the actual issue was used. I assume if these saw publication it will have been a TPB collection or clipped and used for adds; I haven't checked any of the trading cards though.

(worship)

On 11/8/2023 at 10:06 PM, DougC said:

@Dr. Balls

Probably last update: Sandra coming in clutch with the information! lol

image.png.c7371c43d1031879f71d556064f9f600.png

I appreciate you posting the responses - and I very much appreciate Luke and Sandra taking the time to respond on a very old piece of artwork!