• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,376 posts in this topic

On 12/16/2023 at 7:40 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I think this pretty much sums it up.

5:52 p.m – Michael De Chellis, was arrested for driving under the influence of intoxicants,

reckless driving, failure to perform duties of a driver,

giving false info, failure to carry and present, and fifteen counts of contempt of court.

On 12/16/2023 at 10:25 AM, SpineTic said:

fifteen counts of contempt of court

It would be interesting to know what those 15 charges are for. That’s a lot of judgements or orders that were violated.

On 12/16/2023 at 8:15 AM, boreds said:

It boggles my mind that people continue to give him the benefit of the doubt. If I was missing some of the books he has stolen I'd be outside his house or store demanding my property back.

And, you can be in his jail cell with him.

On 12/15/2023 at 6:27 PM, Sauce Dog said:

@DougC any legal advice on what happens with a property being evicted and the contents (especially if it is a business and other customer property is inside)? 

Can't speak to Oregon law, but it's a nightmare for a landlord to legally clear out an abandoned property in California. My MIL has been dealing with this exact problem and she's probably on close to year 3. To get the stuff inside to legally be considered abandoned takes a lot of legal proceedings.

On 12/16/2023 at 12:49 PM, VintageComics said:
On 12/16/2023 at 10:13 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Some may recall that Mike, for many years, was a well regarded member of the community, a respected restoration expert with a thriving business, and someone who had great passion for the hobby. And now his life has come apart at the seams. As someone who has chatted with him casually on and off for 15 years, the situation is unreal and shocking. I was hoping against hope that Mike would pull it together and all the outstanding issues would be resolved.

I’m not excusing or defending any of his actions, and I have great empathy for the people who lost money and may lose their books. This is a tragedy. There is nothing to celebrate or joke about. The most recent developments only reduce the chances that the victims will be made whole.

Expand  

To me it's a sobering wake up call as to how life can turn on any one of us when we make just a few bad decisions.

I'm not trying to moralize at people, these are conclusions I've come to myself as I've matured. Life is pretty fragile no matter how much we want to think it isn't, and often the "Goldilocks conditions" that we live under can come undone pretty quickly. Sometimes it just takes one bad decision and I can remember times in my life where I took one turn that changed everything. This is such an unfortunate story on so many levels for everyone involved that it's heartbreaking. 

+1 to all, well said guys.

On 12/16/2023 at 11:17 AM, lizards2 said:

I don't think I was born in the correct era. It just seems wrong that if someone steals property worth $1000s of dollars, you risk going to jail if you go to his home to demand your property back.

On 12/16/2023 at 10:30 AM, Gaard said:
On 12/16/2023 at 8:17 AM, lizards2 said:

I don't think I was born in the correct era. It just seems wrong that if someone steals property worth $1000s of dollars, you risk going to jail if you go to his home to demand your property back.

I will agree with you there.

On 12/13/2023 at 11:02 PM, Nick Furious said:

Which Oregon city are Mike and the comic books thought to be in?  Kind of long shot, but maybe an email to the local newspaper giving a link to this thread would result in a story that gets attention?  That way when he goes to the local farmers market or chickenfeed store the guy behind the counter will be like "aren't you that comic book thief?"  Six figures worth of missing comic books might make a good local public interest story.  

Especially if they led with the "why don't the authorities care about nerds?" angle.That might put a spark under someone's hindparts. Personally, I've collected for decades now...It's been 40 years since I first spent an ENTIRE paycheck on one comic. The apathy afforded to comics by insurance and law enforcement is just not OK. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 12/16/2023 at 10:18 PM, KCOComics said:

Fifteen counts of contempt of court! 

What exactly does that mean? Blowing off court dates? Or insulting a judge ? 

Any type of order or judgement from the court that was not followed may count as one. 

On 12/17/2023 at 1:18 PM, KCOComics said:

It means the judge doesn't appreciate the seriousness of losing chickens. 

On 12/16/2023 at 10:18 PM, KCOComics said:

Generally speaking and most commonly, it's someone who won't shut up.  But 15 counts is extreme by any measure.  

On 12/16/2023 at 10:14 PM, Axelrod said:

Generally speaking and most commonly, it's someone who won't shut up.  But 15 counts is extreme by any measure.  

can also mean refusing to refusing to obey a subpoena or an order of the court which I suspect is more likely considering the number of charges