• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,469 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2024 at 2:00 PM, Sauce Dog said:

This is actually one of the biggest public smoking guns when it comes to him reselling customer books, so much so that the sheriff investigating this should be put into contact with MCS to discuss the details. It is honestly surprising how long he's been able to sell customer books without such public evidence popping up (AFAIK he's been selling customer books for at least 10 years)

While it is possible he sold it to someone who was totally unaware of its providence I see that as being highly unlikely. From his past text messages we have seen him tell people certain books were 'hot' and should be sat on to avoid trouble, so being ignorant of the books he is selling is almost impossible at this point. He has a some remaining acquaintances that could cosign the book for him so that might be the case (some used to be past Hero employees that he maintained contact with, and I've been told one of them stored customer books at their own home after it shut down).

I went on eBay and found 5 or 6 of my books listed there I contacted my comic shop and cc the detective

On 6/21/2024 at 3:18 PM, JAUITO said:

I went on eBay and found 5 or 6 of my books listed there I contacted my comic shop and cc the detective

I am so sorry to hear this. At least we both know where our books are... I was corresponding with MCS earlier today and they mentioned that someone else had come forward about other books being stolen. I also cc'd the detective from the Linn County Sheriff's office in Oregon on all of my email correspondence. I haven't heard back form him just yet but MCS has so far been very proactive. Fingers crossed that we both get our books back.

On 6/21/2024 at 3:04 PM, DR.X said:

What a POS.

Thus, it appears, this guy was a thief feigning to be a reputable business person for quite some time, if not from, as they say, the get-go.

Clearly, others know more than I about HR, so I'm deducing based on what I have read on these boards.

On 6/23/2024 at 10:35 AM, Winsomesixsquid said:

I went to check out there page and guess what. I found my book. Another positive identification of an AF 15. 

image.thumb.png.094a4d1245abb1d73eb99404c71f8d0e.pngimage.thumb.png.ac75849f64533d8c5937c877cd7ce7f0.png

It is a consignment item. Consignor is humble cow. Not sure if same consignor as the others but he also has another AF15 and many other valuable books. Here is a link to the consigned CGC items of the consignor sorted by price. Maybe someone who has a list / pictures of the missing books can check whether same consignor have other books from hero

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?sn=humble cow&cgc=y&srt=price

AF15a.jpg

Edited by Poka

On 6/22/2024 at 11:00 PM, Poka said:

It is a consignment item. Consignor is humble cow. Not sure if same consignor as the others but he also has another AF15 and many other valuable books. Here is a link to the consigned CGC items of the consignor sorted by price. Maybe someone who has a list / pictures of the missing books can check whether same consignor have other books from hero

AF15a.jpg

Wow!! That Planet #1!! 

I wonder how much will be shared about this person's involvement with Mike? I can't imagine someone knowingly bought stolen books and then very publicaly put them up for sale, together, on a popular site. 

It's just another example of why Mike needs to go to jail or prison.  His crimes amount to hundreds of thousands in stolen money and comics.  

On 6/22/2024 at 10:00 PM, Poka said:

I just got a notification from MCS for a book on my want list, Tec #140.  When I clicked on it, it was a low-grade raw copy -- and it's on consignment from the same consignor as above.  Posting the scan and link in case anyone might recognize this book as theirs.

This might be a legitimate consignment item, but where there's smoke, there's often fire as the saying goes.  If someone had one stolen book in their possession, there's a good chance they might have (by however it happened) ended up with others.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=54698787

tec140.jpg

Edited by ChiSoxFan

On 6/22/2024 at 11:00 PM, Poka said:

AF15a.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn’t check to see who the consignor was on MCS’ site before they removed my book. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same handle though. Either way, “humble cow” has some explaining to due at a bare minimum. @Winsomesixsquid, make sure you copy the detective from the Linn County Sheriff’s office on your communications to MCS. Hopefully you are already in contact but if you need the contact info DM me.

On 6/23/2024 at 1:54 PM, Semicentennial said:

Well the consignor has a coverless copy of Detective 29 that would probably go well with the Detective 29 that was sent back to the owner with the wrong interior pages.

I've passed this along to Kenny and we will see if the owner can identify it. The pages being so bleached makes me think Mike for sure was the one working on it (the only thing that makes me hesitate is that it is graded)

On 6/23/2024 at 11:41 AM, Sauce Dog said:

I've passed this along to Kenny and we will see if the owner can identify it. The pages being so bleached makes me think Mike for sure was the one working on it (the only thing that makes me hesitate is that it is graded)

The book was graded recently.

CGC Cert #
Title
Detective Comics
Issue
Issue Date
7/39
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade

Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
03/22/2024
Grade Category
B-1

On 6/23/2024 at 2:49 PM, Semicentennial said:

CGC Cert #
Title
Detective Comics
Issue
Issue Date
7/39
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade

Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
03/22/2024
Grade Category
B-1

This makes me sick

On 6/23/2024 at 11:30 AM, ChiSoxFan said:

I just got a notification from MCS for a book on my want list, Tec #140.  When I clicked on it, it was a low-grade raw copy -- and it's on consignment from the same consignor as above.  Posting the scan and link in case anyone might recognize this book as theirs.

This might be a legitimate consignment item, but where there's smoke, there's often fire as the saying goes.  If someone had one stolen book in their possession, there's a good chance they might have (by however it happened) ended up with others.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=54698787

tec140.jpg

I've reached out to another customer about this book - it matches the records for one of the other submissions to Hero Restoration, so I'll have them confirm if they ever got it back, and if not they can check the picture out to see if it's their book.

edit: Customer is still checking their records, but thus far has confirmed of the several books he sent to Hero Restoration in 2017 one of them has for sure not been returned - A showcase #17 (sent for tape removal on the spine). He was very grateful I reached out, as he totally forgot about them and is now freshly furious!

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 6/23/2024 at 2:49 PM, Semicentennial said:

CGC Cert #
Title
Detective Comics
Issue
Issue Date
7/39
Issue Year
Publisher
D.C. Comics
Grade

Page Quality
WHITE
Grade Date
03/22/2024
Grade Category
B-1

OK. It looks like many of these books were graded together at CGC. The Tec 29 (cert # 4401912002) was graded on 3/22/24. The same day that @Winsomesixsquid's AF15 was graded (cert # 4401912003). My AF15 (cert # 4411098010) was graded on the same day as the other restored AF15 (cert # 4411098012) that "humble cow" is consigning through MCS. Makes it very hard to believe that "Humble Cow" doesn't know the provenance of these books and likely points to many of them being stolen.

Edited by Nilo2

On 6/23/2024 at 2:06 PM, Nilo2 said:

Makes it very hard to believe that "Humble Cow" doesn't know the provenance of these books and likely points to many of them being stolen.

The fact that there seem to be a number of them consigned on a popular site that can track who put them up for sale, seems to point to some kind of desperation.