• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hero Restoration, Anyone know the latest?
24 24

1,388 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2024 at 9:21 AM, themegoguy said:

Wow - this is Great! (All things considered)...  Now Following! :)

On 5/23/2024 at 2:49 PM, thehumantorch said:

Looks like Mike has become the Jack the Ripper of restoration.  Nice work Kenny

Shocking. This explains all the delays and obfuscations. He was sitting on a pile of badly damaged artifacts that he had to know he could never make a good on. No wonder he came unhinged.

On 5/23/2024 at 4:31 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Shocking. This explains all the delays and obfuscations. He was sitting on a pile of badly damaged artifacts that he had to know he could never make a good on. No wonder he came unhinged.

I've been suggesting that for a while.  He likely had work he didn't know how to handle so he shelved it and moved on.  It's the most logical explanation for having work sitting there for 10 years.

On 5/23/2024 at 9:21 AM, themegoguy said:

That is horrible!

Those books are absolutely destroyed! I feel terrible for the owners.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:07 PM, Winsomesixsquid said:

Hi there. I have a book that was at hero restoration. I haven't been able to contact Mike through email. Should I be worried about not getting it back?

DM me.  I'll send you the Detectives name and contact info who is working on this.

Posted (edited)

Got another inquiry from the website (HeroRestorationComic.com) Sent him the contact info for Detective investigating.  I'm leaving out his name for privacy concerns, but looks like he's part of the AF 15 club.

Hi there, 

I recently just found out about all the stiff going on with hero restoration. I had a book that was with them to be restored. An Amazing Fantasy 15. Was wondering if there was anything I could do to get it back. I've been trying to catch up on the matter through the forums, but there is too much information to sift through. Would you be able to let me know what is going on, and what my next steps could be. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Edited by Neo "The One"
spelling - I"m the worst

On 5/28/2024 at 9:45 AM, Neo "The One" said:

Got another inquiry from the website (HeroRestorationComic.com) Sent him the contact info for Detective investigating.  I'm leaving out his name for privacy concerns, but looks like he's part of the AF 15 club.

Hi there, 

I recently just found out about all the stiff going on with hero restoration. I had a book that was with them to be restored. An Amazing Fantasy 15. Was wondering if there was anything I could do to get it back. I've been trying to catch up on the matter through the forums, but there is too much information to sift through. Would you be able to let me know what is going on, and what my next steps could be. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Has anyone kept a tally of the value of known missing books? I assume it has to be well into 6-figures by now. 

Envision people taking their car to a mechanic. The mechanic suddenly closes shop, doesn't return calls and customers don't get their cars back. How long would it take for the police to arrest the guy?

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 11:48 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Has anyone kept a tally of the value of known missing books? I assume it has to be well into 6-figures by now. 

Envision people taking their car to a mechanic. The mechanic suddenly closes shop, doesn't return calls and customers don't get their cars back. How long would it take for the police to arrest the guy?

I have not kept a tally - I don't even know if a comprensive list exists - if someone wants to take a stab at it...  Its funny you use the car analogy - I use that all the time to explain the problem to non-comic people.  Dents = creases.  Paint = color touch, etc.  At least with cars there are VIN numbers, title and other ways to help identify that you are the owner.  With comics it may be more difficult.  But I think that the paper trail from submissions and acknowlegement from HR should help in that area.  Postal tracking numbers, past emails that go unresponded from HR etc. 

Edited by Neo "The One"

On 5/28/2024 at 8:55 AM, Neo "The One" said:

I have not kept a tally - I don't even know if a comprensive list exists - if someone wants to take a stab at it...  Its funny you use the car analogy - I use that all the time to explain the problem to non-comic people.  Dents = creases.  Paint = color touch, etc.  At least with cars there are VIN numbers, title and other ways to help identify that you are the owner.  With comics it may be more difficult.  But I think that the paper trail from submissions and acknowlegement from HR should help in that area.  Postal tracking numbers, past emails that go unresponded from HR etc. 

I can’t imagine it’s in anyone’s interest here on boards to track the total amount,  unless they are a lawyer making a civil/criminal claim or law enforcement.  The number is almost certainly a moving target anyways with some books returned, differing opinions on values, and new claims coming to light relatively often, as well as other action occurring privately.  

It’s enough knowing “the losses are enough that it’s SERIOUS by any reasonable measures”, to the extent that anyone reading this should A) try not to do business with Hero Restorations and B) report any losses to law enforcement and C) not expect a quick remedy (though theoretically you could luck into one).  

Any individual here knowing the total losses probably wouldn’t materially impact anyone’s decision making.

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 9:45 AM, Neo "The One" said:

Hi there, 

Kind regards,

I don't think we ever matched a customer to the AF15 he sold for 10k.

As for a tally of outstanding books, that is impossible tell at this point I think considering many people might not even be on these boards to tell us (I have records of all submissions between 2019-2020 I think, but only the initial submission not the status of it so can't tell which were completed and what he still has. Submissions after that were stored online via jotform but not sure if he still access to that and what I gather his actual record keeping was horrible - so I'm sure Mike doesn't even know). From my original form I was using to help return items to customers, after I shut it down there was still approximately $55,000usd worth of comics he was in possession of that I knew about (and that was only from about eight customers)

Edited by Sauce Dog