• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Inks Over Old Pencils - If Ya Got 'Em, Flaunt 'Em

15 posts in this topic

This is my second pencilled piece that I bought specifically to have inked by someone - and I really lucked out getting Richard Friend to work on this on short notice. He had posted up that he's taking a few inking commissions on David Finch pieces before he gets back to his regular work, so I reached out to him and showed him this very tight and detailed Randy Queen Jungle Girl pinup from 2007 that I scored on auction awhile back. I was hoping he might see it as in the same wheelhouse as a Finch drawing. He was intrigued and had some good ideas for it, so I boxed it up and sent it to him - and within two or three weeks, I had it right back in my hot little hands. I was especially excited because he is an old Gen 13 inker, and I thought he'd be a great fit for an older Randy Queen illustration. Plus, his work is quite impressive - if you haven't seen it - check it out at https://linktr.ee/Blasterkid, it's pretty bangin' 

Would like to see anyone else's art who felt the call to ink a pencilled piece, throw em up!

RandyQueenJungleGirl.thumb.jpg.300167951022aa36fc2d10eb522ea744.jpg

RandyQueenJungleGirlRichardFriendINKED.thumb.jpg.c728f967b87762e917e59241294b3e0f.jpg

I just saw that you posted this on CAF.  You have real guts to commission inks over real pencils. 

Not really in the same ballpark but I got a Black Canary drawing by D ick Giordano on ebay.  Some time after, I asked him to ink the pencils.  I was commissioning him for a separate piece at the time.

bcgiordano2combined.jpg

On 11/9/2023 at 8:32 PM, Will_K said:

I just saw that you posted this on CAF.  You have real guts to commission inks over real pencils. 

Not really in the same ballpark but I got a Black Canary drawing by D ick Giordano on ebay.  Some time after, I asked him to ink the pencils.  I was commissioning him for a separate piece at the time.

bcgiordano2combined.jpg

I saw your comment, thank you! I think I’ve got a lot of confidence in inkers who still do current work regularly. I have Joe Weems working on a Liefeld pencilled piece of mine - and he’s been very professional and worked out the right inks for the paper stock Rob used. I’m excited to see how it turns out.

That Geordano looks stunning all inked up!

On 11/10/2023 at 10:25 AM, comix4fun said:

I had this wonderful Ivan Reis pencil piece which was a gift from a good friend. He even added yellow pencil highlights around the heads for the Sinestro-effect. 

IvanReisSinestro.jpg.ddd42b8a8ad56d2c91f1f8fee152be7d.jpg

I showed it to Kevin Nowlan, as he's a big fan of Ivan's work, and he wanted to take a shot at inking the piece. I was too chicken to ink the original pencils, so I emailed Kevin an he printed them on a 11x17 board and did his magic on them. So, I was able to keep both original versions. 

IvanReisSinestroNowlanLow.jpg.5531b9283e9b52c75cea218f05150789.jpg

Pencils finished to that level would be a shame if you had the original inked. 

I've seen that Kevin Nowlan ink with his flourishes so that the penciller might not be obvious.  I don't know Ivan Reis' work so well but the Nowlan inks seem very faithful to the pencils. 

I think "faithfulness" is what people want/expect from any "after the fact" ink commissions.  So far, we've seen good penciller / inker pairings. 

Back in 2015 when Frank Thorne decided to sell all his artwork I bought this unused cover for 1994 issue (Sanjulian did the published cover). At the time Frank was not inking then about 2 years ago I got David Roach to lightbox ink the cover. David is a huge Thorne fan and did a great job and add the logos.

image.jpeg

2yhGoxvM_100122045250lola.jpg

On 11/11/2023 at 2:37 AM, Will_K said:

I've seen that Kevin Nowlan ink with his flourishes so that the penciller might not be obvious. 

You are saying very politely what I would say a little bit less politely : I'm a big Kevin Nowlan fan, but I wouldn't let him ink some pencils for me, except his own pencils ! :nyah:

But the result here is maybe the exception that proves the rule. :smirk:

Edited by Ecclectica

On 11/10/2023 at 7:37 PM, Will_K said:

I've seen that Kevin Nowlan ink with his flourishes so that the penciller might not be obvious.  I don't know Ivan Reis' work so well but the Nowlan inks seem very faithful to the pencils. 

I think "faithfulness" is what people want/expect from any "after the fact" ink commissions.  So far, we've seen good penciller / inker pairings. 

When Kevin and I talked about it was clear he was a big fan of Ivan's work. Having it done over a blue line and then his faithfulness to being able to tell that it was both Ivan's pencils and Kevin's inks were on his mind for sure. 

On 11/10/2023 at 6:31 PM, TeddieMercede said:

Pencils finished to that level would be a shame if you had the original inked. 

I have a few pieces like that, when artists wanted to only work in pencils, no inks. 

Dave Finch, Mike Netzer, a few others. Gorgeous pencil pieces. Left the window open to have blue line inks created to add even more depth to the pencils without destroying a single line.