• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle Pages? How Bad Is It? Is It a Dealbreaker?
7 7

65 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2023 at 12:35 PM, pmpknface said:

Generally, I avoid them. However exceptions can be made...

image.png.7925725af2186d24977d0059ad4c6f

This is a prime example of how CGC grades; much more for the cover, much less for the interior.  Overstreet's guide on brittle pages assigns 1.5 at best.

Purely anecdotal, but I remember about a year ago seeing a whole bunch of GA submissions coming back with almost all "slightly brittle" page quality. So I will take CGC's page quality with a grain of salt. If it LOOKS brittle, I will pass. But more often than not I see some "slightly bittle" books that I dont doubt would regrade with better page quality 

If it is flaking within the slab or in my hands, hard pass, otherwise I also don't take CGC's PQ designation seriously most of the time so I tend to be fine with 'Slightly Brittle' (I do try to avoid outright Brittle books, but will accept that if it is for a very rare book I could otherwise never afford). I've bought many raw books advertised as Slightly Brittle and they handled & graded just fine above that, and I've also owned raw books that looked to have decent PQ but came back Slightly Brittle.

I have one brittle book and one slightly brittle in my collection.

This USA Comics #8 used to be G.A.tor's. I have not had it out of the slab but he told me it is still readable; it is the spine that is completely split throughout the book. I have no idea what this would sell for now.

usa_8_CGC_Front.thumb.jpg.e29e5f7497b41e8a5b0f87fb092c6745.jpg

Edited by Badger

On 11/13/2023 at 10:56 AM, Badger said:

The slightly brittle book is a head scratcher. I bought this book raw through Heritage as a VG. I agreed that it was a VG and page quality was cream to off white (is that still a thing?) Read it with no flaking and did not notice any soft spots.(shrug)

Archie_23_front.thumb.jpg.f072776e839ed0429350f58e7078a272.jpgimage.png.e086f696800a1e3e7b28ce808cbb9b00.png

D’oh!

Once pages start to brittle, salvation is out of the question. The hill has been crested and is disappearing into the sky. 

I had one book go from a 4.5 with slightly brittle reholdered by another company to see what would happen when they were first starting out.   It came back a 3.5 tan to off white from the other company.

When I sent it back to CGC ... just because... it came back a 3.5 tan to off white from them as well. 

So... again, who knows?