• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hindsight is 20/20
2 2

61 posts in this topic

How many of us looked at the Baseball Card Price Guides from the 1950's to the 1980's and thought we'll make a fortune by buying stacks of 50 rookie cards...Puckett, Bonds, Clemens...oh, remember that McGuire Team USA rookie...Canseco...I had stacks of Gwynn, Boggs...I had rookies of a hundred HOF'ers from even the old days - 50's through 70's.

But I wasn't thinking ahead intelligently.  It all turned-out to be worthless.  Intelligent would have been to contact PSA and buy graded 10 rookies.

At least I did switch to GA comics...in time to make a good move or 2.  In business...you only have to predict something right once.  But you can't just say what everyone else is saying.

Edited by ChillMan

On 11/13/2023 at 2:24 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

As comic genres and individual issues get more and more expensive, I think most collectors will just keep grabbing cheap stuff until it rises in value also.  Those who have the means will always drive the value of certain expensive comics farther and farther into the stratosphere, but many collectors will rediscover the lesser collected (cheap) books...like Archie, Westerns, Four-color, etc.  I would suggest you start grabbing high grade Roy Rogers now...while you still can...hm :facepalm:

We posted at the exact same time.  Read my above ^^^ post please.

On 11/13/2023 at 2:24 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

As comic genres and individual issues get more and more expensive, I think most collectors will just keep grabbing cheap stuff until it rises in value also.  Those who have the means will always drive the value of certain expensive comics farther and farther into the stratosphere, but many collectors will rediscover the lesser collected (cheap) books...like Archie, Westerns, Four-color, etc.  I would suggest you start grabbing high grade Roy Rogers now...while you still can...hm :facepalm:

Buying the lesser things of well established things isn't predicting ahead.

For comics...I'd predict that cameos & ad-appearances...pre-1st-appearances...are undervalued.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:28 AM, ChillMan said:

Buying the lesser things of well established things isn't predicting ahead.

For comics...I'd predict that cameos & ad-appearances...pre-1st-appearances...are undervalued.

Well, it kinda worked for me when I bought a bunch of romance comics with Matt Baker covers in the 90s...when few collectors knew who he was, or cared. 

On 11/13/2023 at 2:26 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I did...I just don't know how to find current drivers licenses of people who are going to die...:bigsmile:

Start with Google.

And there are lots of auctions of stuff of celebrities who have already died.  They won't sell their drivers license before they die LOL.

On 11/13/2023 at 12:38 AM, ChillMan said:

Start with Google.

And there are lots of auctions of stuff of celebrities who have already died.  They won't sell their drivers license before they die LOL.

Ah, you DO have a sense of humor.  Go back and read my original post and see if you can get the humor this time...lol

10 to 40 years is difficult to predict in the $1M to $20M range, but some comics other than the usual suspects might achieve it. Pulps will probably increase in value exponentially over the next 10 years (especially with third party grading) ...not into the multi-million dollar range though.  That said, unique cover art associated with an energized pulp market by well known artists (beyond GGA and horror covers) has possibilities.

GA Comics will continue to expand in value especially easier to obtain lines only given marginal interest now.  Some characters may start sharing first appearance importance of Superman and Batman rarified values, but only those with strong media tie-in interest if that media interest is ever generated. Stage costumes worn by pop stars may reach that $1M to $20M if sufficient interest is generated by younger fans. Rare guitars and stage played instruments is already a popular commodity ...even dropped mics (lol) might become a hot item.

Elon Musk memorabilia has potential (X marks the spot), but I predict collectable red gimme caps will drop off dramatically, ...into landfills. :shiftyeyes:

:cheers:

On 11/13/2023 at 2:40 AM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Ah, you DO have a sense of humor.  Go back and read my original post and see if you can get the humor this time...lol

At first...when I read your original post...it was only the words.  The photo didn't pop up until later.

I love John Wayne.  I went triple my maximum price but still got out-bid for his drivers license.  My point is...yeah Roy Rogers looking like that might have gotten me suspended outta here if I said how he looks LOL.

Edited by ChillMan

On 11/13/2023 at 3:13 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

10 to 40 years is difficult to predict in the $1M to $20M range, but some comics other than the usual suspects might achieve it. Pulps will probably increase in value exponentially over the next 10 years (especially with third party grading) ...not into the multi-million dollar range though.  That said, unique cover art associated with an energized pulp market by well known artists (beyond GGA and horror covers) has possibilities.

GA Comics will continue to expand in value especially easier to obtain lines only given marginal interest now.  Some characters may start sharing first appearance importance of Superman and Batman rarified values, but only those with strong media tie-in interest if that media interest is ever generated. Stage costumes worn by pop stars may reach that $1M to $20M if sufficient interest is generated by younger fans. Rare guitars and stage played instruments is already a popular commodity ...even dropped mics (lol) might become a hot item.

Elon Musk memorabilia has potential (X marks the spot), but I predict collectable red gimme caps will drop off dramatically, ...into landfills. :shiftyeyes:

:cheers:

Dropped mics is thinking ahead.  But everyone already knows about stage worn items.  And pulps...unless it's an extremely underrated character.

I'm talking about predicting what no one talks about now...but should be.

On 11/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, ChillMan said:

But this tread is for 1 thing and 1 thing only.

Predictions on what will skyrocket in value in 10-40 years.  Like that can be acquired now for $5000-$100,000 but HAS A CHANCE to be worth $1,000,000-$20,000,000 in 10 to 40 years.

You could try lottery tickets, $100,000 buys a lot of 'em! (thumbsu

On 11/13/2023 at 5:22 AM, tth2 said:

ALL people are going to die. :gossip:

I just saw a commercial that said my chance of dying increased like 400 percent if I have Type II Diabetes.  That seems to imply there's a measurable chance I won't die if I don't have it.

Weirdly, I think in the coming years with explosion of AI that people will have much more free time on their hands. I think a weird genre of collectibles that is set to explode is vintage working appliances, minor appliances, sewing machines etc. I used to renovate houses and once pulled a pair of GE appliances from one kitchen. A range and an oven that is installed into the wall. Both were from 1958. This was in about 2008 or so. I sold both to a guy who collected vintage appliances. He was showing me pictures of a storage unit packed with the stuff. These were pretty minty mind you, but I was happy to take $350 for the pair. He later returned and bought the vintage microwave for $100. I was going to throw them away when someone had said there are people out there looking for those. 

The reason I think these items will become more and more desirable and expensive is because with more free time, like we saw with the pandy, people will be using these things daily if not every other day. These machines are built with 100 percent replaceable parts. The parts are extremely cheap. They are available en mass. The designs are extremely simple and well designed. They will run until the end of time. Take a sewing machine for example. You can keep a 20s Singer going for all of time. Every part can be replaced and the machine is so simple that anyone can fix it. Now there were a lot of sewing machines out there, this is true. But they have been getting scrapped en mass since the mid 90s and that is when something starts to uptick. 

I would never have believed it either, but my wife and I bought a house with old appliances in it, ironically a range and wall stove from 1958. They were original to the house. The oven looks like the back of a Cadillac. They are in mint condition from the original owner. We had every intention of tearing them out and selling them to someone like the guy I had mentioned above and going new. We started using them in the interim and I will never ever get rid of them no matter what. All of our friends are constantly complaining about their Samsung stoves and LG ovens and the modern Chinese made GE stuff that breaks down every 30 seconds. Meanwhile, I've replaced one heating coil for a total of thirteen dollars since we've lived here. They look great, all metal and chrome. Everyone asks about them when they come over. Boiling water takes very little time because the coils get so hot instantly. The oven gets to and holds temperature fast and well. I also like to cook with cast iron and this set up suits me well. What I'm getting at is that these things don't break down very much and are cheap to keep going. They are suited to a more 'commercial' use than modern day equivalents by which I mean that someone can use these things everyday where as the modern counterpart will not be able to be used the same way and will fail relatively quickly with heavier use. 

Will any of these items hit a million dollars? Absolutely not, but there is a nascent, although niche, collectible market for them and this is the bottom!

My odd take anyway.