• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wait, Monica Rambeau OA won't be worth millions?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2023 at 9:48 AM, KirbyCollector said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-studios-rethinks-movie-strategy-marvels-1235645119/

OMG I think the dealers who told me those Monica pages I bought would go for 10X what I paid after the movie came out may have lied to me

Somebody (joking I hope) in reference to this  failed waken film, suggested that Hollywood do a waken version of Dirty Harry. lol

i pissed my pants and snorted unsweetened ice tea all over my keyboard when I heard that. It's time for these freaks to understand we've had enough. No more messaging, no virtue signaling, we want entertainment dang it!!!! 

Edited by grapeape

On 11/14/2023 at 5:23 PM, grapeape said:

Somebody (joking I hope) in reference to this  failed waken film, suggested that Hollywood do a waken version of Dirty Harry. lol

i pissed my pants and snorted unsweetened ice tea all over my keyboard when I heard that. It's time for these freaks to understand we've had enough. No more messaging, no virtue signaling, we want entertainment dang it!!!! 

What's Waken? is that like Wiccan? 

On 11/14/2023 at 10:48 AM, KirbyCollector said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-studios-rethinks-movie-strategy-marvels-1235645119/

OMG I think the dealers who told me those Monica pages I bought would go for 10X what I paid after the movie came out may have lied to me

The real question is: did you hang onto the "birth" page. Those are the really valuable ones.

On 11/14/2023 at 5:23 PM, grapeape said:

You will be happy - or perhaps confused - to learn that there is no messaging or virtue signaling in The Marvels.  

I will not attempt to  argue it's entertainment value, however.

Edited by Axelrod

On 11/14/2023 at 9:48 AM, KirbyCollector said:

those Monica pages I bought would go for 10X what I paid

If you read across a few recent threads in here, you'll discover that a few years from now no one will be collecting anything so you're probably going to be at $0 on those pages.

I’ll be the lone dissenter and say it’s not the characters, it’s the writer. Where are the bigger stakes? Everything is resolved. No pissed off aliens coming to invade earth. No urgency to find their missing friend. No visit to Doctor Strange for keys to the multiverse portal (Hello, America Chavez!). And are the three a team? Or are they not a team? In Captain America: Winter Soldier, SHIELD is Hydra and the Avengers are on their own. In Civil War, heroes tore each other apart (War Machine suffers spinal injury; Team Iron Man sics The Vision on Team Cap) and some become outlaws. We are not getting these level of stakes from these films anymore.

But I’m still watching them and enjoying (most of) them.

On 11/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Gazillion's = any number a dealer has seemingly pulled out of their posterior.

Edited by MAR1979

Is this film based on a comic book story? Even Shang Chi kept the nugget of "fighting my dad the evil mastermind" from his comics origin.

I didn't find Brie Larson a memorable presence in the first film. She's not charming, she's not resolute in an Ellen Ripley way, she's just sort of stiffly there, which was at odds with all the dialogue about how she needed to be less of a hothead. I did like Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan on TV, but she lacks the star presence to carry an action film. Looking down the cast list, I don't see a must-see name to draw hoi polloi.

On 11/15/2023 at 6:43 PM, RBerman said:

Is this film based on a comic book story? Even Shang Chi kept the nugget of "fighting my dad the evil mastermind" from his comics origin.

I didn't find Brie Larson a memorable presence in the first film. She's not charming, she's not resolute in an Ellen Ripley way, she's just sort of stiffly there, which was at odds with all the dialogue about how she needed to be less of a hothead. I did like Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan on TV, but she lacks the star presence to carry an action film. Looking down the cast list, I don't see a must-see name to draw hoi polloi.

Iman is very charming and has a good screen presence. Hopefully she'll get to do a bit more and not have to be bogged down by the MCU machine. 

The last decent comic book movie with a female lead was the first Wonder Woman. Why was it good? A) It featured male characters doing a lot of the fighting with her, not just serving as props to make her look stronger. B) Wonder Woman was a real woman in the film (fell in love, had sex), not a goofy asexual symbol like Ms. Marvel. But I guess I don't know as much as the $20M/yr head of Marvel Studios, which is why he made both Ms. Marvel films the way he did.