• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hakes Auction Results, thoughts?

65 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2023 at 10:56 PM, mlansdown said:

Here's a fun celluloid pocket mirror that just arrived courtesy of the last Hake's auction.  I am compelled to buy these early comic artifacts because no one else will.  

image.png.0bc358bd7a9874a0e488357bbd741739.png

That is actually really cool.  You have to love Buster Brown’s dog

On 11/27/2023 at 11:56 PM, mlansdown said:

Here's a fun celluloid pocket mirror that just arrived courtesy of the last Hake's auction.  I am compelled to buy these early comic artifacts because no one else will.  

image.png.0bc358bd7a9874a0e488357bbd741739.png

Their spooky eyes and smiles are like, "Wellllcome, huuuumannn..... Soon you will be one of usssss...."

On 12/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, Readcomix said:

Thank you. Who is #2? I Don’t have my head around the auction houses for OA as I do for comics.

IMO it would go Heritage, Clink, ComicConnect then Hakes. I’d even have an argument putting eBay before Hakes. I wouldn’t know how to rank everything else… propstore, nerd crawler, mycomicshop, etc…

On 12/10/2023 at 9:44 AM, cloud cloddie said:

IMO it would go Heritage, Clink, ComicConnect then Hakes. I’d even have an argument putting eBay before Hakes. I wouldn’t know how to rank everything else… propstore, nerd crawler, mycomicshop, etc…

On the OA side, I can't decide between clink and cc as the #2.

Malvin

On 12/10/2023 at 12:33 PM, malvin said:

Malvin

Include site maneuverability, user friendliness, closing procedures, marketing of auctions and items, shipping speed and overall ease of use and enjoyment of the overall auction and it may tip you one way. 

On 12/10/2023 at 10:33 AM, malvin said:

Malvin

I put CL over CC for two main reasons. I think CL gets overall better offerings. And I loathe CC’s 3 minute time add on at auction end. Regardless of CL’s issues, I appreciate being able to set an alarm for exactly when an auction ends. There are times I’ve sat on one piece at CC for 30/45 minutes because it just won’t end. I bid on less there because I don’t want to sit there for hours on a few pieces. 

On 12/10/2023 at 1:26 PM, cloud cloddie said:

I put CL over CC for two main reasons. I think CL gets overall better offerings. And I loathe CC’s 3 minute time add on at auction end. Regardless of CL’s issues, I appreciate being able to set an alarm for exactly when an auction ends. There are times I’ve sat on one piece at CC for 30/45 minutes because it just won’t end. I bid on less there because I don’t want to sit there for hours on a few pieces. 

I have no data, but if I were a seller, I would think the 3 minute extension would get higher prices since it tempts people to bid higher than their original limit (and they have 3 minutes). Similar to live bidding at HA (except it's 3 minutes). At the end of the day it's the network effects of higher net proceeds attracting consignors, which will attract more buyers and continue the cycle.

Malvin

I'm not sure the 3 minute extension gets higher bids.  

For example, I'm not going to spend my time/money/energy with an auction house that requires to be effectively be on hold indefinitely like that for a single item.... not to mention the fact that juggling several items you're interested in with different extension periods happening in real time is a chore.    For those reasons, CC and Goldin are not for me.   

I'm sure I'm not the only one.    My guess is whatever they might gain from having a long extension period they probably lose more in potential buyer frustration not to mention in potential buyers choosing to not use the site.    

Edited by Bronty

Totally agree with this. When I’m trying to win multiple pieces at the same time, my mind simply isn’t built for it. I recall the last CC auction in which I participated, I was juggling between two items and completely missed the third item I wanted pop up and end low as I was focused on the others and missed it altogether. It was a turnoff for me personally, but I can also see why others enjoy that format. 

Extended time bidding is a problem whether it's 3 minutes or 15 minutes, whatever. To keep bidders engaged and the auction emotion pumping you need bids hitting each other in real time and closing immediately after. 

There's one small auction house that I've bid with and their online portal extends bidding by 10 minutes. The problem is they extend ALL lots by 10 minutes if ANY lot gets a bid. So, 1500 lots of toys, cards, and comics.....lot 1201 gets a bid....all 1500 lots get bumped 10 minutes. 
The last lot I won from them was supposed to end at 7:30pm and didn't actually end until 3:30am. And my original winning bid from 7:30pm was still the winning bid, but anyone could have outbid me on it in the intervening 8 hours. 

Edited by comix4fun

On 12/11/2023 at 11:48 PM, comix4fun said:

There's one small auction house that I've bid with and their online portal extends bidding by 10 minutes. The problem is they extend ALL lots by 10 minutes if ANY lot gets a bid. So, 1500 lots of toys, cards, and comics.....lot 1201 gets a bid....all 1500 lots get bumped 10 minutes. 
The last lot I won from them was supposed to end at 7:30pm and didn't actually end until 3:30am. And my original winning bid from 7:30pm was still the winning bid, but anyone could have outbid me on it in the intervening 8 hours.

lol That's insane! 

Artcurial uses this type of closing system in their online comic art auctions, though I failed to see any mention of this in the rules. I put a high max in to ensure I won the piece and low and behold, after extensions, I won it by one increment. Hmmm, nothing suspicious there. It was the only time I ever considered just not paying because what are they going to do? But it gets better. They initially refused to take credit cards despite it being in their listed terms. So I won that battle after some exchanges via email. But then the checkout system was giving an error message and I kept trying to checkout. Well, it was going through all along and I quadruple paid (20k total). Yes, I got those payments back but with the exchange rate and banking being what it is I lost several hundred dollars because of how they processed the refunds. As frustrating as CC and Hakes bidding can be, and as frustrating as CL can be when you lose by 1 increment, I tell myself at least they aren't Artcurial (I am sure most French houses are the same).

On 12/11/2023 at 7:39 AM, Xatari said:

Totally agree with this. When I’m trying to win multiple pieces at the same time, my mind simply isn’t built for it. I recall the last CC auction in which I participated, I was juggling between two items and completely missed the third item I wanted pop up and end low as I was focused on the others and missed it altogether. It was a turnoff for me personally, but I can also see why others enjoy that format. 

This happened to me as well. CC, and similar closing auctions, is not the place to break a book where people might want multiple pages to go together.