• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #161 cover art - Jan Heritage Auction
1 1

42 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, Lee B. said:

I seem to recall from years ago that a very high-quality recreation of this cover by George Perez came up for sale privately or at auction.  The recreation was so good that some Perez collectors momentarily thought it was the real thing.  I could be having false memories here, but it seemed to cause a brief sensation.  Anyone else recall this?

If I remember correctly, wasn't that the #162 Ultron cover? There are two versions of the #162 cover, the one Perez did and the published cover, which is almost exactly the same, that was done by the inker. There was a kerfuffle over it when the published cover went up for auction and a dealer sold one from his site that was the exact same image but wasn't technically by Perez.

On 12/2/2023 at 6:04 PM, Michael Browning said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't that the #162 Ultron cover? There are two versions of the #162 cover, the one Perez did and the published cover, which is almost exactly the same, that was done by the inker. There was a kerfuffle over it when the published cover went up for auction and a dealer sold one from his site that was the exact same image but wasn't technically by Perez.

It could have been the #162 cover.  There certainly was some excitement and confusion at the time.  I agree that Perez didn't do the art for the alternate, almost-identical version, but that it was probably Pablo Marcos.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:03 AM, Lee B. said:

I seem to recall from years ago that a very high-quality recreation of this cover by George Perez came up for sale privately or at auction.  The recreation was so good that some Perez collectors momentarily thought it was the real thing.  I could be having false memories here, but it seemed to cause a brief sensation.  Anyone else recall this?

Yes, Lee you were correct. It was the 161 cover. The brief sensation was caused by the way it presented. 

On 12/19/2023 at 11:08 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Already at $87K right out of the blocks. With the recent $250K X-Men #122 cover sale do you think more great covers from this era will start to hit the market? 

Seems a reasonable thought. 

Edited by MAR1979

I noticed that the "MARVEL COMICS GROUP" on the cover was originally black-on-white, but a white-on-black was pasted on to it for publication. Now only the initial "M" remains from the top stat., and a fragment of pure black under the CCA logo.

image.thumb.jpeg.e832aa09c68bd039578124ba7a4c8e7d.jpeg

On 1/3/2024 at 8:36 PM, RBerman said:

I noticed that the "MARVEL COMICS GROUP" on the cover was originally black-on-white, but a white-on-black was pasted on to it for publication. Now only the initial "M" remains from the top stat., and a fragment of pure black under the CCA logo.

hm

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.24a2849abca842d2544ff4f18183f65d.jpg

On 1/3/2024 at 1:36 PM, RBerman said:

I agree: it looks like it may have been a last-minute change to do the 'Marvel Comics Group' in reverse, like you stated. I imagine it's easy to discern with the art in-hand. Balance-wise, the reversed logo in the final version visually works better, I'm sure that was the call that was made at the time.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:22 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I agree: it looks like it may have been a last-minute change to do the 'Marvel Comics Group' in reverse, like you stated. I imagine it's easy to discern with the art in-hand. Balance-wise, the reversed logo in the final version visually works better, I'm sure that was the call that was made at the time.

The black strips were done o a lot f Marvel covers from that era and were used when necessary for the printing process. That one has been glued on in production and all but the M has been torn off at some point, maybe during production.