• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams Artist's Edition--Art Needed

14 posts in this topic

Hey, Neal Adams fans! I'm looking for pages 1, 3, 4, 15 from Green Lantern #84. It is a 22 page story and I currently have scans of 18 pages. I'd love to be able to present the entire story in the forthcoming Artist's Edition. If you have any of these pages (or other nice Adams DC art), please feel free to reach out to me. Thanks!

On 11/19/2023 at 2:33 PM, Scott Dunbier said:

Hey, Neal Adams fans! I'm looking for pages 1, 3, 4, 15 from Green Lantern #84. It is a 22 page story and I currently have scans of 18 pages. I'd love to be able to present the entire story in the forthcoming Artist's Edition. If you have any of these pages (or other nice Adams DC art), please feel free to reach out to me. Thanks!

Hi Scott - Heritage auctioned off, if not the entire book, close to it, some time ago.  The 4 pages that you're looking for were among those pages.  Perhaps they could help.  Cheers!

Keep us posted.

On 11/29/2023 at 4:21 PM, pemart1966 said:

Hi Scott - Heritage auctioned off, if not the entire book, close to it, some time ago.  The 4 pages that you're looking for were among those pages.  Perhaps they could help.  Cheers!

Keep us posted.

Following your information, I just retreived the direct link to the high-res scanned pages done by Heritage for these auctions, just in case it would be enough for Scott:

https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[1%2F0%2F1%2F3%2F7%2F10137945]&call=url[file%3Aproduct.chain]
https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[9%2F9%2F5%2F5%2F9955178]&call=url[file%3Aproduct.chain]
https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[1%2F0%2F3%2F7%2F4%2F10374974]&call=url[file%3Aproduct.chain]
https://dyn1.heritagestatic.com/lf?set=path[9%2F9%2F5%2F5%2F9955186]&call=url[file%3Aproduct.chain]

(issues : they're cropped a little bit, and only 300 dpi -> insufficient quality?)

Edited by Ecclectica

On 11/29/2023 at 12:08 PM, Ecclectica said:

(thumbsu  I'd check with Heritage first though before using them...just in case...

On 11/29/2023 at 7:33 PM, Brian Peck said:

Heritage scans are not good enough for the AE books. They do not want people reproducing the artwork at full size.

Just curious, being that they are the just the conduit between the art’s previous owner and the new owner, legally or ethically would HA or any auction house have the right to provide high res scans without the consent of the current owner? 

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 11/29/2023 at 10:36 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Just curious, being that they are the just the conduit between the art’s previous owner and the new owner, legally or ethically would HA or any auction house have the right to provide high res scans without the consent of the current owner? 

...and just what does DC still own...image wise?

On 11/29/2023 at 7:36 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Not sure what you are asking. HA does produce hires scan of the art they auction off just not high enough to reproduce in print for. HA does have the right to scan the art for auction but that is all. 

On 11/29/2023 at 11:02 PM, Brian Peck said:

HA does have the right to scan the art for auction but that is all. 

I think IF they took the extra step to provide 600 dpi scans of art to 3rd parties, that should ONLY be done with the new owners permission.

I don't know of an auction house that does provide high res scans to 3rd parties, so my question was purely a hypothical question.

On 11/30/2023 at 7:58 AM, gumbydarnit said:

I think IF they took the extra step to provide 600 dpi scans of art to 3rd parties, that should ONLY be done with the new owners permission.

I don't know of an auction house that does provide high res scans to 3rd parties, so my question was purely a hypothical question.

Heritage does provide scans to Marvel for its Epic Collection trade paperbacks.  It's not quite the same thing as an Artists Edition, but the back-of-paperback scans are part of a non-inexpensive book that is being sold by Marvel.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:58 AM, gumbydarnit said:

This is interesting because as we all know, possession of the OA does not grant reproduction rights. 

There are many collectors who like for their stuff to be as hidden as possible, beginning the moment they win the piece... 
I can imagine these types would not want HA distributing scans, and thus I can imagine HA not wanting to irk their customers.

Legally though? If Scott has the rights to do the book, does it matter which of the five previous owners the scan came from? Probably not.

On 11/30/2023 at 3:54 PM, J.Sid said:

This is interesting because as we all know, possession of the OA does not grant reproduction rights. 

There are many collectors who like for their stuff to be as hidden as possible, beginning the moment they win the piece... 
I can imagine these types would not want HA distributing scans, and thus I can imagine HA not wanting to irk their customers.

Legally though? If Scott has the rights to do the book, does it matter which of the five previous owners the scan came from? Probably not.

Fairly high res scans with close up view of the art are publicly available on the HA website.  What difference would it make if HA distributed scans?

On 11/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, pemart1966 said:

Fairly high res scans with close up view of the art are publicly available on the HA website.  What difference would it make if HA distributed scans?

It may seem like it on this board, but not everyone in this hobby pays attention to Hertiage. 

Also, I know not all items are archived on Heritage forever. Not sure how it goes down, but there are auctions I bid on which no longer show up in a search or in my bidding archives.

Edited by J.Sid