• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking Insights on Selling/Auctioning a Unique Bound Volume of Batman Golden Age Comics
2 2

52 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have in my possession a truly remarkable item: a professionally bound volume of Golden Age Batman comics, spanning issues from #17 to #65. This collection includes such iconic issues as Batman #17, #21, #24, #26, #33, #44, #51, #52, #53, #54, and #65. I am considering selling or auctioning this collection and would greatly appreciate your insights and advice.

Photos of the collection are attached for your reference. As you will see, this is a unique assembly of some of the most sought-after Batman comics from the 1940s and 1950s. The condition varies across the issues, but they have all been preserved in a single, elegant leather-bound volume, which adds a distinct charm and a sense of historical preservation.

I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for guidance on a few key points:

1. Grading and Valuation: Has anyone here dealt with the grading or valuation of bound volumes of comics? Given the nature of this collection, how might the binding affect its overall value?

2. Best Avenues for Sale or Auction: Would you recommend private sale, consignment with a notable auction house like Heritage, or another route? I am based in India, so any advice on international selling would be particularly valuable.

3. Estimated Value: Any ballpark estimates on what a collection like this could fetch in the current market? I understand this might vary widely, but any insights based on your experience would be highly appreciated.

4. Interest from Collectors: How do bound volumes of this nature generally fare in the collector's market? Is there a niche of collectors who particularly seek out such compilations?

Your expertise and advice will be instrumental in helping me make an informed decision about this treasure trove of comic history. Thank you in advance for your time and input!

Thanks.

IMG_20231118_195506197.jpg

IMG_20231118_195604721.jpg

IMG_20231118_195621874.jpg

IMG_20231118_195720371.jpg

IMG_20231118_195732907.jpg

IMG_20231118_195750166.jpg

IMG_20231118_195336414.jpg

IMG_20231118_195417770.jpg

IMG_20231118_195438474.jpg

IMG_20231118_195441821.jpg

IMG_20231118_195511092.jpg

IMG_20231118_195517704.jpg

IMG_20231118_195530249.jpg

IMG_20231118_195548423.jpg

IMG_20231118_195613483.jpg

IMG_20231118_195648688.jpg

IMG_20231118_195658545.jpg

IMG_20231118_195709037.jpg

IMG_20231118_195743166.jpg

IMG_20231118_195840385.jpg

I would recommend sending it to Heritage as GA books usually have a wider viewership there and tend to sell better. 

Not sure how many exact issues are in the volume but there are no major keys in there. The condition isn't that great either. Would say a rough valuation around 6 to 10k. Bound volumes are not in demand except for completists or if there were key issues in the volumes. 

Welcome! A cool item for sure. It's worth noting that the comics appear to be heavily trimmed, which will limit the bidding pool to buyers who want to keep the book as is. I don't know this market extremely well, but my gut says I'd feel safer with a $3-5K estimate than $6-10K.

There will be collectors for whom bound volumes are of particular interest. They may be the minority of collectors though. Given the contents of the volume, I would say this will definitely widen the interest in this item, but only if it has sufficient exposure/ advertising prior to the sale. 

On 11/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, indrajal_fan said:

@Grendel72 Thanks. Let me check our Heritage Auctions. If i hold on this for lets say 10 more years, would the value increase?

Heritage have auctioned off a lot of bound volumes, so you can look through their archives to get a sense of the valuations they get.

A fun item indeed! I, myself, have quite a few bound volumes. I like the unique factor as well as being able to read consecutive issues easily and for a much lower cost.

They have picked up in interest. Yours appear pretty low grade and fragile. As was said, no key issues. But still unique and very collectible.

They have minimal value if separated from the book so I would not consider it. I would place micro chamber paper liberally through the book to prevent further detoriation.

I would try HA or CC depending on who offers you the best deal. I have no idea on value. I might add up the individual issues in fair condition and come up with a total that way.

Either way, congrats on a fun find! 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:25 AM, tth2 said:

Heritage have auctioned off a lot of bound volumes, so you can look through their archives to get a sense of the valuations they get.

I have used Heritage on multiple bound volume auctions. They're good at presenting the items, they understand the marketplace, and they know what they're doing. I have used them for Hulk 1-6, Tales of Suspense 39-99, Tales to Astonish 27-101, Hulk 102-140, Captain America 100-140. I would definitely contact them ahead of time to let them know what you have and how they would present them but for this type of item they're the clear and obvious choice.

On 11/20/2023 at 11:20 AM, indrajal_fan said:

Thanks, in the meantime any tips on how to store it properly? I am in India and comic collection concept is not bit here so a lot of these acid free cases, papers is not easily found. Any tips would be appreciated.

Just my opinion, but as long as you're storing it away from humidity, light and extreme heat, you're probably fine. It's had 80ish years to get to its current state... since you're planning to sell it anyway, another month or two shouldn't make a difference.

On 11/20/2023 at 1:51 PM, Courageous Cat said:

yea, heritage if ya don't mind coughing up 25 percent of the final price

I agree with FlyingDonut though. Heritage has a rock-solid track record for this kind of esoteric object, and other sites don't. They bring a unique golden-age-buying audience to the table... I wouldn't have confidence that e.g. ComicConnect or ComicLink could do the same. That's probably enough reason to go with Heritage whatever the fees.

On 11/20/2023 at 8:15 AM, Point Five said:
On 11/20/2023 at 12:14 AM, Grendel72 said:

I would recommend sending it to Heritage as GA books usually have a wider viewership there and tend to sell better. 

Not sure how many exact issues are in the volume but there are no major keys in there. The condition isn't that great either. Would say a rough valuation around 6 to 10k. Bound volumes are not in demand except for completists or if there were key issues in the volumes. 

There's no way that this will fetch anywhere near $6 - $10K - these books appear to be a random lot of Batman comics bound together.  Neither the comics or the book are in very good shape.  The comics have multiple defects not to mention whether or not they are all complete.

I think that even Point Five's estimate is high.  If they break a grand I'd be shocked.

Edited by pemart1966

On 11/20/2023 at 3:41 PM, pemart1966 said:

There's no way that this will fetch anywhere near $6 - $10K - these books appear to be a random lot of Batman comics bound together.  Neither the comics or the book are in very good shape.  The comics have multiple defects not to mention whether or not they are all complete.

I think that even Point Five's estimate is high.  If they break a grand I'd be shocked.

That's fair enough, you may be right. The biggest problem I think is that the trimming is so severe, even by the rather relaxed standards of bound volumes. With some volumes it makes sense to break them up and there's value in the potential to do so. But here the most key issues are very flawed. The #17 is particularly hard-hit with the trim, and would not look appealing outside the volume.

On 11/20/2023 at 10:42 AM, Robot Man said:

A fun item indeed! I, myself, have quite a few bound volumes. I like the unique factor as well as being able to read consecutive issues easily and for a much lower cost.

They have picked up in interest. Yours appear pretty low grade and fragile. As was said, no key issues. But still unique and very collectible.

They have minimal value if separated from the book so I would not consider it. I would place micro chamber paper liberally through the book to prevent further detoriation.

I would try HA or CC depending on who offers you the best deal. I have no idea on value. I might add up the individual issues in fair condition and come up with a total that way.

Either way, congrats on a fun find! 

I don't think that them being bound adds any value whatsoever.  They appear to be just random issues bound together.

Edited by pemart1966