• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeking Insights on Selling/Auctioning a Unique Bound Volume of Batman Golden Age Comics
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2023 at 3:55 PM, Point Five said:

That's fair enough, you may be right. The biggest problem I think is that the trimming is so severe, even by the rather relaxed standards of bound volumes. With some volumes it makes sense to break them up and there's value in the potential to do so. But here the most key issues are very flawed. The #17 is particularly hard-hit with the trim, and would not look appealing outside the volume.

Agree completely.  

If one asks oneself  - what would they bring individually if not bound and in the same condition?  Would someone pay $100 a book?

On 11/20/2023 at 4:00 PM, pemart1966 said:

Agree completely.  

If one asks oneself  - what would they bring individually if not bound and in the same condition?  Would someone pay $100 a book?

If they think someone *else* will pay $200 a book then sure. :)

Again though, I think this will live and die as a single item, and as such it's such an odd item that it's hard to even guess at a value. You may be right that bidders will evaluate as you did above, to the detriment of the sale price. But Heritage has gotten higher-than-expected prices before for all kinds of stuff, and it wouldn't shock me if there are dedicated GA bound volume collectors out there. Who knows.

On 11/20/2023 at 4:17 PM, Point Five said:

If they think someone *else* will pay $200 a book then sure. :)

Again though, I think this will live and die as a single item, and as such it's such an odd item that it's hard to even guess at a value. You may be right that bidders will evaluate as you did above, to the detriment of the sale price. But Heritage has gotten higher-than-expected prices before for all kinds of stuff, and it wouldn't shock me if there are dedicated GA bound volume collectors out there. Who knows.

Yup.  it might end up being an auction situation - crazy things can happen - both good and bad.

On a completely different note: @indrajal_fan, any idea of the backstory behind the volume? It’s really intriguing that it ended up in India. (Only if you feel comfortable sharing, of course.)

On 11/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, indrajal_fan said:

@pemart1966 As of now not in a hurry to sell , if its worth nothing, i will just keep it in my collection but i am curious as i have never sold any of my comic collection and felt if i start, it needs to be with this one as this is the oldest book i have.

I never said that it was worth "nothing".  It's worth something and what I've said is that I don't think that it's worth as much as some others feel. 

Putting it up for auction will determine its current market value.

Edited by pemart1966

On 11/21/2023 at 8:13 AM, indrajal_fan said:

@pemart1966 As of now not in a hurry to sell , if its worth nothing, i will just keep it in my collection but i am curious as i have never sold any of my comic collection and felt if i start, it needs to be with this one as this is the oldest book i have.

Why sell it at all? If it were my oldest book and I lived in India with very little access to old American comics, I would hold on to it with dear life and treasure it…(shrug)

On 11/22/2023 at 2:57 AM, Robot Man said:

Why sell it at all? If it were my oldest book and I lived in India with very little access to old American comics, I would hold on to it with dear life and treasure it…(shrug)

You know it's not the 1800s and everyone in India has to wait for the next steamer from England to arrive to get any foreign stuff, right?  

On 11/21/2023 at 9:54 PM, tth2 said:

You know it's not the 1800s and everyone in India has to wait for the next steamer from England to arrive to get any foreign stuff, right?  

Sadly, a riot broke out when the last boat just brought over trunks of Marvel Two-in-One.

Hijacking the thread a bit, but how exactly does selling on Heritage Auctions work? I've never used it before since I don't believe I have anything valuable to sell. Do you just ask for a free appraisal, see whether they'll accept your item(s), and then charge you a commission off of the final sale price? Can you set a reserve price? Or do they give you an offer to buy off your items for them to sell themselves?

Edited by stormflora

On 11/21/2023 at 10:02 AM, indrajal_fan said:

image.thumb.png.4efb2f5186268b8eab0a2a11cf16ec13.png I also see this small holes through out the comic.. any guesses on what it could be?

I'm unsure about the holes, but it looks like someone filled out the coupon/form there.  Since it's old, it doesn't mean it was necessarily the person who bound the books, but is there any way you can take a pic of that form when you have a chance?  I'm just curious.

Edited by Telegan

On 11/22/2023 at 12:44 AM, indrajal_fan said:

@stormflora Excellent question, i am also interested in knowing  how Heritage Auctions work. Anyone who has used it, would be good if you can give your experience on how it works?

You would contact them re your item. If they agree to auction it, you’d sign a consignment contract re the terms, and ship it to them. They would process the item, earmark it for a future weekly auction, auction it for you, and send you final payment minus their fees. The process I describe takes a few months, so best to reach out to them sooner than later.

And obviously, auctions are unpredictable, and the outcome is final. So to pemart1966’s point, consider that after all the above work the outcome might be a $1200 sale, which would net about $800 after fees and the cost to ship…. and decide if you could live with that potential outcome.