• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 Official Holiday Raffle Thread
8 8

1,174 posts in this topic

FWIW, since I've been involved in business a while back that necessitated a lot of shipping in/out of Canada and have closely worked together with my local post office, I can provide my two cents with regards to customs and their fees.

From what I've experienced, Canada tends to simply write-off any customs fees for parcels declared with a value of less than $100 CAD. Not always, but probably more than 80% of the time. I suspect that this is due to Canada Post trying to balance the costs of labour involved with inspecting each and every single low-value parcel that comes into Canada.

Certain types of items are exempt from duties and thus only cost the recipient their local taxes. Often times, since the customs declaration sheets have limited space and require additional documentation to be attached, if you deliberately draft your list of contents by starting with the items that do not have any duties charged written at the very top, you can often encounter the same situation as the above where customs will not spend the time to look through the entire list and simply do a quick review of those initial items listed on the main label. They tend to not bother opening up the attached packet to check the full list of contents.

The size of the box matters significantly, as Canadian customs is inclined to believe that bigger = more valuable. They are more likely to open up a box to check its contents for this reason alone. However, after COVID and all, they're likely to avoid opening up a box unless it's a random check or they have reason to suspect something being hidden within that can't be caught with a quick x-ray inspection or there are blatant red flags with the declared value of the contents (e.g. saying that a PS5 was only $20) or some suspicious smell that triggers their drug dogs. Either way, customs almost never designates a new value onto an item without explicitly opening up the box and then taping it back up with very obvious tape.

Lastly, gift wrapping boxes is highly recommended as it significantly reduces the likelihood of customs opening it up to check. I don't know why, but it just does. I suppose customs does not want to ruin gifts for recipients. So if you can spend the time to do that, then do so.

Edited by stormflora

On 12/26/2023 at 3:19 PM, stormflora said:

FWIW, since I've been involved in business a while back that necessitated a lot of shipping in/out of Canada and have closely worked together with my local post office, I can provide my two cents with regards to customs and their fees.

From what I've experienced, Canada tends to simply write-off any customs fees for parcels declared with a value of less than $100 CAD. Not always, but probably more than 80% of the time. I suspect that this is due to Canada Post trying to balance the costs of labour involved with inspecting each and every single low-value parcel that comes into Canada.

Certain types of items are exempt from duties and thus only cost the recipient their local taxes. Often times, since the customs declaration sheets have limited space and require additional documentation to be attached, if you deliberately draft your list of contents by starting with the items that do not have any duties charged written at the very top, you can often encounter the same situation as the above where customs will not spend the time to look through the entire list and simply do a quick review of those initial items listed on the main label. They tend to not bother opening up the attached packet to check the full list of contents.

The size of the box matters significantly, as Canadian customs is inclined to believe that bigger = more valuable. They are more likely to open up a box to check its contents for this reason alone. However, after COVID and all, they're likely to avoid opening up a box unless it's a random check or they have reason to suspect something being hidden within that can't be caught with a quick x-ray inspection or there are blatant red flags with the declared value of the contents (e.g. saying that a PS5 was only $20) or some suspicious smell that triggers their drug dogs. Either way, customs almost never designates a new value onto an item without explicitly opening up the box and then taping it back up with very obvious tape.

Lastly, gift wrapping boxes is highly recommended as it significantly reduces the likelihood of customs opening it up to check. I don't know why, but it just does. I suppose customs does not want to ruin gifts for recipients. So if you can spend the time to do that, then do so.

breaking.gif

On 12/26/2023 at 1:35 PM, wombat said:

Well, not all mystery boxes are created equally. :banana:

True, but how's a guy to know?  Imagine 63 mystery boxes this year.  :makepoint:

I won't be able to pick live. I'll be back online on the 31st or 1st. Looking forward to sending out the raffle prizes and beyond grateful for whatever prize comes up on my list.

Thanks @The Sledder and elves for all your time and efforts organizing and executing the raffle!

On 12/27/2023 at 1:30 AM, stormflora said:

Technically, just loopholes one can exploit. Nothing illegal has been suggested ;) 

Isn't it the law in Canada that you claim the cost of each item that comes into the country so they can tax you?  Saying certain packages under a certain size probably won't be opened isn't exactly screaming that people should follow the law or most of what you posted would be moot.  I'm not Canadian but I always post the actual price of books on Canadian packages for my own piece of mind.

On 12/26/2023 at 6:58 PM, Ryan. said:

Heavy is the head that wears the silver crown. I'm torn on my choice. hm I am open to bribes.

Might I suggest Axelrod's Materialistic Weasel Award (thumbsu

On 12/27/2023 at 9:26 AM, s-man said:

Might I suggest Axelrod's Materialistic Weasel Award (thumbsu

Anyone that knows me knows what I'll probably end up picking. I'm predictable. 

On 12/27/2023 at 9:52 AM, Ryan. said:

Anyone that knows me knows what I'll probably end up picking. I'm predictable. 

(shrug)

image.png.b46eee8e9bd5820759e3b6c9822349cb.png

On 12/27/2023 at 8:42 AM, 1Cool said:

Isn't it the law in Canada that you claim the cost of each item that comes into the country so they can tax you?  Saying certain packages under a certain size probably won't be opened isn't exactly screaming that people should follow the law or most of what you posted would be moot.  I'm not Canadian but I always post the actual price of books on Canadian packages for my own piece of mind.

I get wanting to write the full price for insurance purposes but I hope you also state it's a "used" book though as the taxes on used items is much less since the items were originally taxed when purchased new .