• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature slabs question
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know who the top 5 creators are in terms of signed books out there (not in terms of 'value' or sought after) I mean in terms of quantity. 

In other words , there's probably a lot of them out there! 

*and also, is there one or more among the names that still command premiums even with the high numbers? I'd imagine Stan Lee would be one such example.hm

@D2 I think you maybe right, he was one of the names I figured maybe.

For writers Claremont?

Obviously data isn't accessible or disclosed, but was hoping to have some sort of metric to chase rarer ones as a subset.

Appreciate it!

As far as just production output I would say these guys are in high contention:

• Stan Lee
  • Jim Lee
  • Todd McFarlane

As more of an outside shot these guys are prolific signers but probably not as much as the above

• Adam Hughes
  • Greg Horn
  • Chris Claremont

Some that would have been on the list but have fallen off

• Arthur Suydam
  • Dan Jurgens

Over the last 3 years Jim Shooter has become a much more prolific signer and will likely climb up the list if he can continue making the number of appearances he does.

I might could argue Claremont, Rubinstein, or some that I've seen personally like Sam de LA rosa.... who I think has been asked to sign venom lethal protector #1 at every con for at least a decade that I've been too lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Putting aside SS books that are signed by multiple creators, looking at single creator SS books, in descending order of unique counts by cert number:

1. Stan Lee

2. Todd McFarlane

3. Chris Claremont

4. Neal Adams

5. George Perez

6. Jim Lee

7. Robert Kirkman

8. Skottie Young

9. Donny Cates

10. Frank Miller

Unique Stan Lee signed books we have recorded are at a factor of 5 compared to Todd McFarlane, and a factor of almost 20 to Frank Miller

And idk if it'll matter...

While Stan signed anything and everything? Upon him passing there were still only 200 signed CGC of FF 48 and the like, out of now thousands graded.

Even if we assumed all were Stan and not just Joe Sinnot?

That's still not a lot of the same book per total....

Meaning it seems that a lot of Stan sigs, since there were many happened on random things or specifically books that perhaps Stan had nothing to do with.

I remember there only being like 250 of X-Men #12 etc.

He signed a lot, but when there is a generic Stan signed everything out there a lot, specific book compared to the total "might change your feelings" if we talk about percentages and or ratios of individual issues. :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/22/2023 at 9:45 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

And idk if it'll matter...

While Stan signed anything and everything? Upon him passing there were still only 200 signed CGC of FF 48 and the like, out of now thousands graded.

Even if we assumed all were Stan and not just Joe Sinnot?

That's still not a lot of the same book per total....

Meaning it seems that a lot of Stan sigs, since there were many happened on random things or specifically books that perhaps Stan had nothing to do with.

I remember there only being like 250 of X-Men #12 etc.

He signed a lot, but when there is a generic Stan signed everything out there a lot, specific book compared to the total "might change your feelings" if we talk about percentages and or ratios of individual issues. :)

I have been saying a version of this since about 2008, but the market does not seem to care.

On 11/22/2023 at 9:02 AM, seanfingh said:

I have been saying a version of this since about 2008, but the market does not seem to care.

Lol ya not to side track the thread, but Lord willing there will always be a basis for example. I hadn't looked in a while so I tried X-Men 12 of which are only 238 signature series out of 3000+ slabs.

That example is still there because, "who else would you have signed it!"

If the market cared in the slightest, I'd screenshot for future use the ones that are obvious, but everyone seems quite content that he signed and signed. :ohnoez:

But agreed 💯

On 11/22/2023 at 12:51 AM, gpanalysis said:

Putting aside SS books that are signed by multiple creators, looking at single creator SS books, in descending order of unique counts by cert number:

1. Stan Lee

2. Todd McFarlane

3. Chris Claremont

4. Neal Adams

5. George Perez

6. Jim Lee

7. Robert Kirkman

8. Skottie Young

9. Donny Cates

10. Frank Miller

Unique Stan Lee signed books we have recorded are at a factor of 5 compared to Todd McFarlane, and a factor of almost 20 to Frank Miller

:manhero:

On 11/22/2023 at 10:02 AM, sagii said:

:manhero:

Of course, you understand those rankings are only for slabs (with a single signature) that have been sold through venues tracked by GPA and not necessarily reflective of the CGC-graded totals.

On 11/22/2023 at 12:00 PM, Lazyboy said:

Of course, you understand those rankings are only for slabs (with a single signature) that have been sold through venues tracked by GPA and not necessarily reflective of the CGC-graded totals.

Yes, but it is helpful for my decision making for asking the question on 'opportunities' to pass or wait, who doesn't seem to have signed as much by comparison and paying a premium or not.

It's a start for me in other words