• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diary Secrets #26
4 4

45 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2023 at 3:01 PM, MrBedrock said:

So one book this time around. Someone at the Collector's Summit asked me if I would consider parting with my Diary Secrets 26. I thought about it a bit, then said "Sure!" Well he passed so I figured I would offer it here.

Diary Secrets 26 CGC 7.0 off-white to white. The book is now cracked out of the slab and is every bit as lovely as it looks in the scan. At this point it is the single highest graded. $10,000 firm.

I will include some photos of it raw later this evening.

diarysecrets26.jpg

Congrats on the sell Mr B, and an even bigger congrats to the buyer.  Picture suggests the book has higher eye appeal than the 7.0 grade suggest.

On 11/21/2023 at 5:49 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

If it's cracked out, doesn't that invalidate the claim, that it's the single highest graded? Because would there not be an argument that others may have a raw copy equally as good if not better?

I'm confused by the claim. I'm all for cracking out books...but can you still claim the grading? I'd like to know if this a thing, where you can crack out and still claim the CGC grade?

(shrug)  

If the provenance is maintained and the owner can be trusted, then sure the seller can claim the grade if the label travels with the book.  It attests to a grade delivered by CGC, not the seller, and a lack of restoration and conservation.  Again trust is all - trust that nothing whatsoever has happened to affect the grade.  As a matter of fact, a cracked book can oftentimes get a premium IF the buyer intends to hold the book in the personal collection.  You've got the 3rd party assurance particularly around resto plus an ability to fully enjoy the book.  Hey, it takes a certain amount of skill to crack a book, many are not comfortable drawing a blade down the inner well 1/8" from the sides. Richard does videos on how to do it correctly.   (thumbsu

On 11/22/2023 at 2:44 PM, Silver said:
On 11/21/2023 at 9:11 PM, Funnybooks said:

uncool

Super uncool

Naw. It's cool. I mean...maybe, but it's cool.

On 11/22/2023 at 5:53 PM, MrBedrock said:

Naw. It's cool. I mean...maybe, but it's cool.

no one should be publicly commenting on a sales thread where they don't agree or feel the need to question the content of the listing. That is what the moderators are for...it's in poor taste and reeks of an ax to grind

On 11/22/2023 at 4:59 PM, Funnybooks said:

no one should be publicly commenting on a sales thread where they don't agree or feel the need to question the content of the listing. That is what the moderators are for...it's in poor taste and reeks of an ax to grind

I appreciate the concern, but 1) he had a legitimate question about my sales comment, 2) it was answered in my sales thread, and most importantly 3) I am cool with it.

On 11/22/2023 at 3:22 PM, MrBedrock said:

I appreciate the concern, but 1) he had a legitimate question about my sales comment, 2) it was answered in my sales thread, and most importantly 3) I am cool with it.

4) I thought it was a joke, but then, I don't look for the evil in everything, I look for the good. :foryou:

On 11/22/2023 at 6:22 PM, MrBedrock said:

How are we supposed to threadcrap your sales listings on Shortboxed?

On 11/22/2023 at 5:34 PM, Ryan. said:

How are we supposed to threadcrap your sales listings on Shortboxed?

One of the downsides of those mobile apps.

On 11/21/2023 at 9:49 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Because the CGC guarantee has effectively been nullified, has it not? Or am I totally wrong on this?

There is no CGC guarantee,,, it says so in the small print on the reverse of the slab. It basically says they made a good faith attempt at a specific time and captured it in a slab. They accept no liability if an error is made, although they will sometimes make things right in certain cases. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... with CGC, you are getting an expert opinion, about as good as it can get, that's why folks keep the slab labels as providence. Think of it like a C.O.A. It's an especially strong selling point if coming from a seller you know and trust. 

Edited by jimjum12