• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Request To Remove Chip Cataldo From The HOS
7 7

72 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2023 at 2:58 PM, Jeffro. said:

There is a pattern of behavior here that goes back decades. If he has truly changed, I applaud that but it doesn't erase his past.

This is what I came here to say.

On 11/23/2023 at 10:07 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I don't know anything about the scams he was running, but I do know that psychopaths are very good at acting contrite, and they know all the right things to say to manipulate people into advocating for them.

I don't know if that's what's going on here or not, but if I were you, I would at least consider the possibility that he might be playing you like a drum.

I've definitely considered that. I was wary of that from day one. 

On 11/22/2023 at 4:52 PM, Number 6 said:

While those unaffected may not completely comprehend what's it's like to struggle with depression, conversely, because you weren't here for all the "brouhaha" you may not fully appreciate how your sympathies might possibly be played upon and manipulated.

Well, considering that it was @Cat who brought the mental health issue up, is Cat the one who is playing and manipulating me or is it Chip?

On 11/22/2023 at 5:07 PM, comix4fun said:

Your lack of knowledge of how he came to be on the list and your personal experiences in other areas have resulted in your deciding that someone with decades of unethical and scamming behavior should be taken off a list because it might help him "feel better about himself". Well, that's great for him. It's not so great for everyone else. Everyone who got taken by him either in the distant past, the somewhat distant past, the near recent past....etc etc.

This wasn't one action that got him there and for someone who's taken offense to my treatment of Chip's issues, you're being extraordinarily flippant with the problems he created for others that resulted in his placement on the Hall of Shame. Do they not rate anything to protect or recognize what was done to them? Do the people on the boards who were not here when he was dealing here and don't know what went down deserve less protection and less information so that he can "feel better about himself? 

Are only his feelings at issue here? It's a shame your empathy doesn't extend to the victims. 

Because you're taking a third hand side comment regarding "what being on a list can do to your mental health" and running with it like it's a medical diagnosis. That seems less than responsible, doesn't it? Projecting onto Chip what you deal with isn't any more accurate or on point that what you're complaining about. 

I don't need to be condescended to with the "sheriff" comment. This community placed him where he is, and for good reason, with full knowledge of his actions. If he can't bear to see his name on the list there are many other message boards where he's not yet known. 

Well, based on the thread posted by @pemart1966, it seems clear that people have made their feelings about Chip quite clear. I don't think that any of the posts were complimentary, and based on what you said about this series of incidents, none of them deserved to be.

You're right. I wasn't here, and I don't know exactly what happened, nor is it necessary for me to know. I am sorry people were ripped off, but there is nothing that I can do to make them whole or to make them feel better. Would it help if I made a post belittling Chip and his shady ways?

Since your comment about mental health occurred in the very first sentence of your post, I don't believe it is correct to say that it was a "third hand side comment." 

I clearly overreacted to your post, and I apologize for that. Depression runs in my family, and I have seen firsthand how destructive it can be. Yes, I projected my issues onto Chip's issues, and I was wrong to have done that. I am overly sensitive when I see someone being flippant about mental health issues, and for that, I won't apologize. 

If everyone here feels so strongly that Chip should stay on the Hall of Shame list, I'm not going to disagree about it with you or anyone else any further. As you have indicated, I wasn't around when all this occurred. 

Again, I apologize for overreacting. I will do my best to fade into the background.

On 11/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, Math Teacher said:

As you can tell, it bothers me greatly when people make light of other people's mental health issues. And no, I have NO intention of changing how I react to this.

It's a big deal to me as well, and one of the problems I had when this went down almost a decade ago was they way it went down. People kept hammering him publicly when it was apparent that he was already going onto the HOF list. 

People love to get their digs in (I'm not saying Comix4fun did, but as a general mob thing, people do it) and although it's not happening right now, partly because the dialogue on Mental Illness has become far more prevalent and mainstream a decade later, it's still a problem and I am touchy about it too. 

---------------------------------------------

It's strange how many people come out to make sure someone doesn't sell here but when a thread pops up about openly bad behavior from a prominent seller or auction house that's impossible to ignore, it's crickets by the campfire. Thread is wiped or silent, nobody talks about it ever again. Everyone has seen it but nobody will talk about it. 

If Chip was a BSD (Big Shot Dealer) there would probably be more people encouraging him to sell here. Shocker. 

Way of the world.

---------------

Edited to add Chip is OK in my books regardless of his selling status. 

Edited by VintageComics

I don't know Chip and those events occured during a time away from the boards for me. I do know it takes some serious action to get yourself on the HOS and even more special behavior over a long period of time to even be considered worthy of a discussion of removal. Nothing to stop him from posting here, and hopefully he will as it seems as he has things to contribute. Over time this could be revisited but IMO, much too soon.

On 11/22/2023 at 8:20 PM, VintageComics said:

If Chip was a BSD (Big Shot Dealer) there would probably be more people encouraging him to sell here. Shocker. 

Way of the world.

I disagree with this. Maybe some behind the scenes would choose to turn a blind eye (cool books as we all know :eyeroll:) but I think the mainstream opinion against HOS offenders is pretty much hell no...

Edited by universal soldier
speling ishard

On 11/22/2023 at 8:24 PM, universal soldier said:

I disagree with this. Maybe some behind the scenes would choose to turn a blind eye (cool books as we all know :eyeroll:) but I think the mainstream opinion against HOS offenders is pretty much hell no...

You'd be surprised. In the 20 years I've been here I've seen the following happen:

i) A well known dealer known for their integrity came on here to publicly call out bad behavior about a known bad dealer, and some of the boardies eventually turned against the good dealer. lol

ii) An honorable dealer got hounded by a pack of mobsters here for a very long time, just because they didn't like what the dealer stood for. 

iii) A bad dealer get defended by boardies even though the dealer's bad behavior was indefensible. 

And most of these actions were by boardies who are "well respected in the community" and some are still here regularly. 

I've seen it all here. 

Edited by VintageComics

Nothing is stopping Chip from posting on the forums. If he is a changed man and becomes a valued member, he might convince people to remove him from the list. 

Not today, nor next month, but maybe in a year or so?

I welcome him back as a poster, but not as a seller. Maybe later.

On 11/22/2023 at 9:41 PM, VintageComics said:

You'd be surprised. In the 20 years I've been here I've seen the following happen:

i) A well known dealer known for their integrity came on here to publicly call out bad behavior about a known bad dealer, and some of the boardies eventually turned against the good dealer. lol

ii) An honorable dealer got hounded by a pack of mobsters here for a very long time, just because they didn't like what the dealer stood for. 

iii) A bad dealer get defended by boardies even though the dealer's bad behavior was indefensible. 

And most of these actions were by boardies who are "well respected in the community" and some are still here regularly. 

I've seen it all here. 

It's not perfect and I'm sure there are many behind the scenes deals that happen. Overall the community protects itself and that's what needs to be done here.

On 11/22/2023 at 10:54 PM, universal soldier said:

It's not perfect and I'm sure there are many behind the scenes deals that happen. Overall the community protects itself and that's what needs to be done here.

Is your avatar about the Van-Damme movie? I met him a while back. He's much smaller in real life than he looked in the movies but he's quite a character in real life. lol

On 11/22/2023 at 10:58 PM, VintageComics said:

Is your avatar about the Van-Damme movie? I met him a while back. He's much smaller in real life than he looked in the movies but he's quite a character in real life. lol

My user name is. I have an unhealthy obsession with Van Damme lol Anyone who can do splits like he can is well... :luhv:

My avatar is from Marvels V1. #4

Marvels_Vol_1_4.thumb.jpg.7942189952ce71fbcaf8f0e47445bdb5.jpg

On 11/22/2023 at 11:29 PM, universal soldier said:

My user name is. I have an unhealthy obsession with Van Damme lol Anyone who can do splits like he can is well... :luhv:

My avatar is from Marvels V1. #4

Marvels_Vol_1_4.thumb.jpg.7942189952ce71fbcaf8f0e47445bdb5.jpg

Screenshot_20231122-233224.thumb.png.458357456cb3138290db0d5dc0c1a5cc.png

On 11/22/2023 at 11:34 PM, VintageComics said:

Screenshot_20231122-233224.thumb.png.458357456cb3138290db0d5dc0c1a5cc.png

Awesome! Would love to meet him in person.

Edited by universal soldier