• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoration by Alexandra vonHawk
3 3

34 posts in this topic

On 2/13/2024 at 8:01 AM, Rick2you2 said:

If restoration work needs supplemental art to replace lost/damaged pieces of a page, does she do that, too? Or would I need someone else for that?

I didn't think to ask. I was missing one paste-up on the cover, but decided not to worry about it. This is the cover I mentioned. Basically, she lifted the logo, cleaned the page, neutralized it, and restored the logo.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0560d92d94d4aa2ad27189b8436c071.jpegimage.jpeg.2ca56425507b2cac7787ff824087eccb.jpeg

You can see that the number and month are missing.

Edited by alxjhnsn

On 2/13/2024 at 1:47 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I didn't think to ask. I was missing one paste-up on the cover, but decided not to worry about it. This is the cover I mentioned. Basically, she lifted the logo, cleaned the page, neutralized it, and restored the logo.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0560d92d94d4aa2ad27189b8436c071.jpegimage.jpeg.2ca56425507b2cac7787ff824087eccb.jpeg

Thats neat! Do you have a before and after picture?

On 2/13/2024 at 1:47 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Has anyone started a restoration thread showing off their before and after, as well as explaining what they needed to do?

On 2/13/2024 at 1:42 PM, JC25427N said:

Thats neat! Do you have a before and after picture?

Yes, There's not a ton of difference since the logo was stained permanently and she doesn't like to bleach. You can see the the stain is a little lighter, but not much.

Before:                                  After:
image.thumb.jpeg.864cc8022b167df301708f37df948a04.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.e831fa1ca61d70d8da8598b838ec0a12.jpeg

I was after stabilization of the paper and the neutralization of the rubber cement.

She sent lots of pictures. These two show her lifting the logo (left) and the results of cleaning.

SS91Cover-Logoliftedtoshowtheglueresidue.jpg.9418c2b9e5f9c5a063502d436627fcec.jpgSS91Cover-Logoaftercleaning.jpg.0234676eeb8a714618adec7632a78954.jpg

On 11/27/2023 at 3:28 PM, cstojano said:

Well that's concerning. I assumed most of the restoration work being done was due to sun damage in frames. Is it the colored pencils that aren't steadfast to the treatment or is the sun tanning a known "not treatable" condition. Nice Elfquest, BTW.

I've used restorers mostly for neutralization of the paper, stabilization/repairs if there are physical issues, and glue removal. 

On only have one piece that is tanned (the one that I showed). I haven't seen many people talk about eliminating tanning.

On 11/27/2023 at 7:17 PM, Will_K said:

From the scan, it looks like markers.  And if they were, they held up really well. 

I've seen there's such a thing as lightfast colored pencils.  But never researched them.

In any case, the art, paper and signature look great.  I'd prefer the current look vs matte burn all around the drawing.

Colored pencils. The feeling is that bleaching to get rid of the tan lines would damage the piece, i.e., you can't really get rid of it.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:20 AM, alxjhnsn said:

I've used restorers mostly for neutralization of the paper, stabilization/repairs if there are physical issues, and glue removal. 

On only have one piece that is tanned (the one that I showed). I haven't seen many people talk about eliminating tanning.

Colored pencils. The feeling is that bleaching to get rid of the tan lines would damage the piece, i.e., you can't really get rid of it.

I swear this is what Robert Dennis did all the time (lighten pieces from tanning). I still haven't sent my piece in for evaluation.

Also, don't post that EQ piece to the EQ Facebook group unless you want Richard berating you. I asked him about an upcoming piece at auction that was being discussed in terms of possible damage and instead of replying to me he posted my personal message to him on the EQ fan page with a whole helping of disdain. Just what are they so angry about?

Great thread and work shown.

I do not know if he is still testing or working on items, aa few years back there was a thread where  @427Impaler was showing his work and testing on removing lignin to lighten and restore suppleness to aged paper without removing ink. 

On 2/17/2024 at 4:41 PM, cstojano said:

I swear this is what Robert Dennis did all the time (lighten pieces from tanning). I still haven't sent my piece in for evaluation.

Yes, I understand that Robert would do that. I'm not saying not to, I am saying that Alexandra is resistant to the idea because it can damage the paper and others said that this particular piece would not benefit from it. I suspect in the case of the Pini piece that the color pencil might be removed the process, but that's just a guess.

On 2/17/2024 at 4:41 PM, cstojano said:

Also, don't post that EQ piece to the EQ Facebook group unless you want Richard berating you. I asked him about an upcoming piece at auction that was being discussed in terms of possible damage and instead of replying to me he posted my personal message to him on the EQ fan page with a whole helping of disdain. Just what are they so angry about?

No clue. My engagements with them have been pleasant enough though I know a few who have had odd or bad experiences. I guess they are human. (shrug)

Edited by alxjhnsn