• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alright Pilgrims…..get up, dust off your chaps and show us your Western Pulps!
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2023 at 11:05 PM, OtherEric said:

The antepenultimate pulp:

RanchRomances197105.thumb.jpg.2a953c085a3ef6df1545af6f461a4eeb.jpg

Four issues a year from 59-71, incredible.

Looks like they used the same cover in 67, too.

I'd never looked at one of these late-era editions (love what I've read from the 40s and 50s tho), and it's neat to see the same features from way back when. 

Upon closer examination, it's the exact same stories from back then :D

I looked up a scanned issue from August 67 issue which had a Kinstler illo (I'd being working on one of his 50 images just tonight) so I knew they were recycling before I even checked the Fictionmags index.

0025.thumb.jpg.0ee9ab134712920640b4f426bfb489af.jpg

Ranch Romances & Adventures [v223 #3, May 1971] ed. Anne Keffer (Popular Library, Inc., 50¢, 98pp, small pulp)

5 · Our Air Mail · [The Readers] · lc
        7 · The Bounty Trail · Kenneth L. Sinclair · ss Ranch Romances 1st December 1952
        21 · Top Hand · William S. Annett · ss Ranch Romances 1st December 1952
        28 · Gunsmoke Girl · Walker A. Tompkins · na Ranch Romances 1st December 1952
        52 · Next Stop—Texas · Cy Kees · ss Ranch Romances 1st December 1952
        58 · Spawned by the Frontier · Ferris Weddle · ts Ranch Romances 1st December 1952
        61 · Win Money · [uncredited] · cn
        62 · Empty Saddle, Empty Heart · Hascal Giles · ss Ranch Romances 2nd May 1952
        67 · Palo Duro’s Secrets · Jeanne Claytor · ts Ranch Romances 2nd May 1952
        70 · Adamless Eden · Seth Ranger · ss Ranch Romances 2nd September 1952
        74 · Birth of Courage · John Griffith · ss Ranch Romances 2nd May 1952, as by Cy Kees

Wonder what the circulation was in the last years.  It really does have great appeal to both sexes.  I like a little love interest thrown in with the other western elements, just like the ladies probably like a little action mixed in with their love :yeehaw:

Here's the Kinstler I worked with tonight -

Realistic Romances 01 (1951-07.Realistic) ifc Everett Raymond Kinstler (Darwin b&w Edit)

On 11/30/2023 at 7:59 PM, Darwination said:

An interesting pulp auction at Heritage today with westerns and romances.  This result had to be a little surprising in spite of the never-ending love of skeletons and skulls.

Book description:
Wild West Weekly - October 14th, 1933 (Street & Smith) Condition: VG-. Classic skull cover by Walter M. Baumhofer. Piece out of cover, tape repairs, and spine tears. Bookery's Guide to Pulps Second Edition VG value = $10.
From the Jack and Joanie Kump Pulp Collection. Comes with COA from Heritage Auctions.

Result:
Screenshot(133).thumb.png.87778aa8f2ccbe09da6976ca74aed500.png

also a strong showing for a Lariat we were showing around here:

Screenshot(134).thumb.png.6ce0360077dc0ac412a7e760e4d86672.png

The Lone Ranger did well, somebody might have picked up the full run of those.

I didn't tag any of the romance/girlies I was after, but what else is new :ohnoez:

Hard to know what to make out of some of the results, especially with the romances...

Sorry to hear you didn't walk away with any books.  That Lariat end price is impressive,  whoever got the vg copy from mcs earlier this month for $60 is probably pretty happy.