• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alright Pilgrims…..get up, dust off your chaps and show us your Western Pulps!
1 1

80 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2024 at 11:28 AM, Darwination said:

I thought this was pretty cool from a fresh pulp scan that came across the wire this morning in the pulpscans group, painting giveaway

Wild West Stories and Complete Novel Magazine #124 [1935-12] cover

Rafael Desoto cover (restoration by Saskia, scan by Steve, pulp donated by Sai)

WildWestStoriesandCompleteNovelMagazinen1241935-120129.thumb.jpg.9eefc1bd31e854c7d75078e3c76fc4ef.jpg

full scan here

Yes, please............  I want the painting...  LOL.  This is very cool, love this........

Spot 1940-10 page 21 detail: June Storey reads September 1940 edition of New Western Magazine

Came across this photo in an issue of Spot I was putting up at the IA last night.  Canadian actress June Storey and pup reading the current issue of New Western (image courtesy of MCS where this beater copy is currently available @ two dollars and fifty cents).  I'm fairly certain that these Spot were produced in the same manner as the giant Fawcett Master Comics.

Spot v01n02 (1940-10.Country Press) cover (McCoy Edit)

https://archive.org/details/spot-v-01n-02-1940-10.-country-press-darwination-mc-coy-ia

Edited by Darwination

I have some of those Thrilling bound volumes. It's very bittersweet. Great provenance, the covers are in mint condition, and you get a continuous six-or-twelve month run; but the trimming, plus the brittleness of the pages is a downer. :frustrated:

A dollar pulp, happy there is still such a thing (and we'll just call it that since I picked up two for a dollar apice and they combined shipped with another book that cost a bit more to win).  1959, a pulp survivor.  A couple of reprints (including a L'amour) but mostly new stories.  Unsure who the cover artist is, funky with the blonde and angry cowboy looking right at the reader.

RanchRomancesv211n02(1959-05.Popular)cover.thumb.jpg.51a90196e5becc432bdd5b0fed9b2a0f.jpg

On 8/4/2024 at 9:52 PM, Darwination said:

A dollar pulp, happy there is still such a thing (and we'll just call it that since I picked up two for a dollar apice and they combined shipped with another book that cost a bit more to win).  1959, a pulp survivor.  A couple of reprints (including a L'amour) but mostly new stories.  Unsure who the cover artist is, funky with the blonde and angry cowboy looking right at the reader.

RanchRomancesv211n02(1959-05.Popular)cover.thumb.jpg.51a90196e5becc432bdd5b0fed9b2a0f.jpg

I've seen that cover on something else, perhaps an earlier paperback. Note that they dropped listing the writer's names. 

Pulps were supposed to have been long dead by 1959, but not the underdog, Ranch Romances! Which carried on until 1971.