• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why did this forum get relocated?
4 4

71 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 12/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

By creating the Cornfield thread, you made an exception and overrode the principle that only comic related threads are allowed in the Comics forum. Would you make a second exception, and allow movies of all kinds to be discussed in the one location please, that location being the visible Comics forum? 

Are you saying you would like a cornfield thread in the movie section, where you could discuss all non comic related movies in that thread?

On 12/4/2023 at 2:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

Are you saying you would like a cornfield thread in the movie section, where you could discuss all non comic related movies in that thread?

I'm saying that I would prefer that we could start threads and discuss movies of any kind in one location Mike, with that location being the Comics forum. One movie forum, sitting in the comics forum. Is that something you would be prepared to do? You would effectively be making an exception to the 'no non-comic related discussions' rule, and standing by it as you did with the Cornfield thread.

On 12/4/2023 at 10:04 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Thank you.

One movie forum, sitting in the visible Comics forum, where movies of any description are allowed, unsegregated. The usual rules would apply of course - if anyone breaks moderation rules, such as discussing politics or agitating members, you moderate them in the normal way. 

To help you ruminate, would non-comic movie threads be allowed in the Water Cooler if you decide against? If so, and they are started there, any moderation activity would be required regardless of location so the only remaining consideration would be the preservation of the comic only discussions rule. I think we can live with another exception, don't you?

Please do also consider all the work Bosco has put into the forum. It's a life's work for him, so please give it and him the respect they deserve by thinking this decision through carefully. There is a danger that we forget that the overwhelming majority of members just want to visit, chat and have fun. Draconian actions and rules, often applied to solve problems caused by a tiny minority, are not the way to build a community. The majority of movie discussions are comic related - do we really care if a few other film types are discussed alongside them too? :foryou:

This cannot be overstated. Without Bosco’s very reliable effort in this forum it would be a far less engaging sub.  Look at the ‘Latest movie you’ve watched’ thread and it’s not even a shadow of this space.  Personally I think he should at the very least enjoy a free CGC membership.  

:manhero:

On 12/4/2023 at 9:46 AM, CGC Mike said:

I mean, just keep it like it was?  

Yes, there were non-comic book films talked about.  It was fine. 

Restricting to "comic only" seems like one of those "letter of the law" vs. "spirit of the law" kind of things.  

• Administrator

On 12/4/2023 at 10:04 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

One movie forum, sitting in the visible Comics forum, where movies of any description are allowed, unsegregated. The usual rules would apply of course - if anyone breaks moderation rules, such as discussing politics or agitating members, you moderate them in the normal way. 

Done!

On 12/3/2023 at 7:36 PM, Bosco685 said:

Roy, I have no animosity towards you for anything. But are you kidding?

Your chatter derailed the entire thread. Including the comments "I thanked Mike for letting us have this great conversation" and the constant references to ESG as the root cause for all of Disney's issues (you are really only focusing on the 'S' with that reference, and a small portion of its intent).

Just recognize you contributed to the lock. No reason to pretend otherwise.

What are you going on about? You even contributed to the ESG discussion in multiple threads and now you're saying I should haven't talked about it? lol

And what's wrong with thanking Mike?

My chatter didn't derail the thread. People who are always antagonistic towards me IN EVERY THREAD derailed the thread. It's what they do. They all show up all at once, start antagonizing me and Mike has to shut the thread down.

All of my points were bang on, no I didn't focus on the 'S' and if nobody started with the name calling and insults the thread would have been half the length and still would have been there. 

If Moderation moderated contentious posts, name calling and told people to use the ignore feature like they used to tell forum members to do, we would eliminate 90% of the problems on this forum. 

I'm not taking responsibility for the inability of other people to control themselves. 

On 12/4/2023 at 9:33 AM, CGC Mike said:

That is correct.  The principle is the forum is in the comics section.  People wanted to discuss both in 1 forum.  So, I moved it to the general discussion.  Then, people complained that it was too far down to scroll and not as many people were posting in it.  So, I have moved it back.  

On 12/4/2023 at 7:43 AM, ThothAmon said:

I’d follow Bosco all the way to the card forum but this whole move seems more blarney to me than anything else.  

Agree. 

Edit: Didn't realize there was a consensus. Thanks, Mike!

The fact that "it's too far for people to scroll" is really a reach and frankly, pretty ridiculous reasoning.

They can walk across their bedroom, come onto a chat forum across the internet from 1000's of miles away but they can't scroll using an extra finger motion? lol

That the majority of members want to discuss non-comic movies should be the most important thing to factor in. 

Why cater to the few who are too lazy to scroll, to inconvenience the many who want to have movie discussions on a variety of topics?

Edited by VintageComics

On 12/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, VintageComics said:

The fact that "it's too far for people to scroll" is really a reach and frankly, pretty ridiculous reasoning.

It’s not that it’s too far to scroll exactly, just hard to find and not accessible to visitors.  I even had a long time member type me because he couldn’t find it. 

On 12/4/2023 at 4:40 PM, MattTheDuck said:

This thread has served its purpose.

My apologies, I was reading and replying but didn't realize there was a solution. 

On 12/4/2023 at 4:40 PM, CAHokie said:

It’s not that it’s too far to scroll exactly, just hard to find and not accessible to visitors.  I even had a long time member type me because he couldn’t find it. 

I get it.

The reason this all started was because someone complained when I started a non-comic thread, and that complaint should never had even been factored in. We are right back where we started, only with better rules, so I guess that's a positive.