• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just rented FF movie

137 posts in this topic

Never, ever listen to a comic book fanboy's opinion of a comic book movie.

Well gosh who would have expected JC to say anything REMOTELY freaking DIFFERENT than that. How predictable you are in your Celluloid Tower. You should change your name to "Johneeeeeeeeee!"

I bought it and watched it and liked it very much. Even with my limited SA experience I could see some of the innacuracies etc but as a comic book movie? Quite good.

The main thing: it had an even pace throughout. As I have said many times the first Tim Burton BATMAN drove me crazy with so many over-the-top sequences. And the "finale" was boring after the first 5 or so minutes.

FF was very even throughout. Something missing in many films today (especially the comic book superhero films) where they seem to have the need for huge peaks. Thank god no huge over the top scenes.

Doom could have been done better but the inherent evil of Doom WAS depietced nicely. But overall, very enjoyable, very even, pretty focussed - actually damned focussed.

Liked it very much.

I am sure, JC, you will one day find a comic book film you enjoy. Until then may I recommend some of my overall favorite films? (Mixing old and newish )

MY MAN GODFREY (must be the Criterion release), MALTESE FALCON, THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER, THE FIFTH ELEMENT (many peaks there but always comedic, which allays the self-absorbed aspectof the normal peaks), BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, WHITE HEAT, THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BONZAI ACROSS THE EIGHTH DIMENSION, THE BROTHER FORM ANOTHER PLANET, THE WOLF MAN, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, THE CAINE MUTINY, SUSPICION, THE TIHNG (FROM ANOTHER WORLD), FLASH GORDON (a VERY fun comic book movie and one of the early modern entries - excellent score by Queen as well.)

Well I can go on and on but it will be to no avail.

Hate what you want to but be sure your hate is not for the sake of hate - and is a valid experession. You keep using the same terms and ideas for all of your comic book movie damning I have to wonder.

PS - I liked Elektra ennough to buy it. The story (you know what "story" is I am sure) was quite well integrated into the film. While some of the MORTAL KOMBAT type effects were present, one must look past that (if their brain is capable) and see the whole story. Very good story.

PS - I liked Elektra ennough to buy it.

'nuff said. screwy.gif

And I do not hate every comic book adaptation, only the terrible, reprehensible ones like Elektra, Hulk, Daredevil, Punisher, Catwoman and Fantastic Four.

These are just really bad movies, both technically and artistically, most of which were absolutely savaged by the critics and were nominated/won Razzie Awards. You make it seem like I'm alone in thinking Elektra is crepe, when it is sitting at a 7% critic rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

I actually enjoyed the Spidey and X-Men movies, along with the first Blade. Not great movies by any stretch, but still enjoyable with some actual talent behind them.

Out of the 60 odd Cagney movies, I think I have about 58 of them. grin.gif

More than i have seen - but have seen a lot. Man, was he good! I loved watching WHITE HEAT and comparing his "headache" scenes to his YANKEE DOODLE DANDY dancing scenes. Talk about versatile.

Edward G was similar -as he got older he got out of the whole gangster thing and just soared. Although, BROTHER ORCHID is a great fave.

Ya ever hear the phrase

"To each his own"

or

"One mans trash, another mans treasure"

or

"Eye of the beholder"

I imagine some people hated the first Blade movie, but you liked it.

Go figure...you also dont like certain movies, others did.

Who cares.

Ze-

For those interested, here are the Rotten Tomatoes ratings for a selection of comic book movies:

Elektra: 7%

Catwoman: 9%

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: 18%

Fantastic Four: 26%

The Punisher: 28%

Daredevil: 44%

Blade 2: 55%

Blade: 56%

The Hulk: 60%

Sin City: 78%

X-Men: 80%

Batman Begins: 83%

X2: 87%

Spider-man: 90%

Spider-man 2: 93%

And why I don't agree with them all, it's very small stuff (I personally think The Hulk's 60% is much too high and Blade's 56% is too low - different times I guess) but the cream does rise to the top, while the real smelly turds sink to the bottom.

Why the hate? Lots of people liked this movie. Lots of people didn't. Enough people liked this movie that there will be a sequel.

Was it Hamlet? No. Was it a fun, enjoyable way to spend two hours with kids? Yes.

Was it a fun, enjoyable way to spend two hours with kids? Yes.

What did your kids think of Sky High?

I ask because I went to children's birthday parties for both, and the kids were lukewarn on the FF movie, but they went crazy for Sky High. Just crazy... even the girls.

I ask because I went to children's birthday parties for both, and the kids were lukewarn on the FF movie, but they went crazy for Sky High. Just crazy... even the girls.

Haven't seen it yet. Good to know that kids liked it, could be a fun rental for a sleepover. thumbsup2.gif

Haven't seen it yet. Good to know that kids liked it, could be a fun rental for a sleepover. thumbsup2.gif

Well Sky High was geared towards kids..so I could see why they liked it better.

FF is a tweener movie, trying to appeal to a wider audience...and in the process losing parts of both age groups along the way.

Ze-

They haven't seen it yet?

Yeesh, rent that puppy and nail down the pillows, cushions, lamps and furniture. We had a little DVD party, and the kids were all running around screaming "I'm Speed", "I'm Stretch", "I'm Freeze Girl"... and tossing pillows and other stuff at each other.

Kids just love this movie, and it's just good clean fun in a way that no "straight" super hero movie has been able to duplicate.

I initially thought Sky High was going to be lame, but it turned out to be a lot of fun, and I would have just loved it as a kid. Even my wife, who hates action/super hero movies, said "That was actually pretty good".

Well Sky High was geared towards kids..so I could see why they liked it better.

Well I am not a kid, and I have no problem stating that I feel Sky High is a superior movie to the Fantastic Four. The critics liked it a lot better too.

PS - I liked Elektra ennough to buy it.

'nuff said. screwy.gif

And I do not hate every comic book adaptation, only the terrible, reprehensible ones like Elektra, Hulk, Daredevil, Punisher, Catwoman and Fantastic Four.

These are just really bad movies, both technically and artistically, most of which were absolutely savaged by the critics and were nominated/won Razzie Awards. You make it seem like I'm alone in thinking Elektra is crepe, when it is sitting at a 7% critic rating at Rotten Tomatoes.

I actually enjoyed the Spidey and X-Men movies, along with the first Blade. Not great movies by any stretch, but still enjoyable with some actual talent behind them.

Not sure how "nuff said" means anything. The film was pretty tight. Dialogue needed improvement and, as i said, the MORTAL KOMBAT stuff was not good. But overall much better than many think.

So who, exactly, comprise Rotten Tomatoes and why should I care? Are they some kind of God? They gave the Hulk WHAT % (one of the most fragmented, horrid pieces of drek I have ever seen in a movie. I literally, and unintentionally, fell asleep trying to watch it 3 times, as I recall. And when I finally DID see it all the way through it was "What the hell was THAT?") At least you mentioned it was overrated - only thing I liked was the cgi Hulk because they did it intentional CGI and it looked the way it was intended. And it was fun to see.

As far as critics, I have been nationally published reviewing films. It does not make my opinion any better than any other person's opinion. So I really don;t care what Rotten Tomatoes thinks. I disagree with much of their opinion. Does not mean I am right and they are worng. But it also does not mean i will bow to them.

As far as critics, I have been nationally published reviewing films.

Like you said, who cares? I don't always agree with EVERY SINGLE critic, but when a comic book movie you feel is excellent receives a lowly 7% rating from a large selection of critics and is also savaged by the general public, then maybe it's time to examine exactly why you feel it's so damn exceptional...

Maybe viewing it from fanboy-colored glasses? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Sky High sucked," said my 10 year-old. And, I would agree.

And, what do critics know anyway, they're all people who can't write well enough or have good enough ideas to come up with something for the movies or books -- or, they would.