• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just rented FF movie

137 posts in this topic

Maybe viewing it from fanboy-colored glasses? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Ya know, you use that "fanboy" tag quite a bit, but I would never mistake Povertyrow for a FF fanboy.

This movie was not entitled PRE-CODE WEIRD TALES OF HORROR GANGSTERS. If it was, then you might have a reason to pull out that tried and true tag of fanboy.

I am a FF fan who wants to get issues 1-6 so I can have a run of 300.

I love Kirby's art on that run, and about the only thing I dislike of the early FF is Agatha Harkness.

I even like kindly old mailman Lumpkin.

I would come closer to being labeled as a "fanboy".

Yet I'm not raving about this movie, although it was great to see someone from Marvel other than Spidey and Wolverine get some well deserved attention.

But what I do notice, is that when anyone puts forth some good vibes about this movie you are there like Mighty Mouse to save the day, while you pull out charts and statistics showing that anyone who liked the movie should hand their car keys to someone more capable of making decisions.

Maybe your signature line should say "The FF movie was horrible".

Then people would know up front that you hated it.

Isn't that the message you are broadcasting with your shotgun keyboard as you plug every thread that moves in a pro-FF direction.

Does anyone here not know of your feelings regarding this issue?

There might be a straggler over in the water cooler that hasn't heard you on this issue. poke2.gif

Well Sky High was geared towards kids..so I could see why they liked it better.

Well I am not a kid, and I have no problem stating that I feel Sky High is a superior movie to the Fantastic Four. The critics liked it a lot better too.

Spoken like a true Sky High fanboy. poke2.gif

Ze-

And, what do critics know anyway, they're all people who can't write well enough or have good enough ideas to come up with something for the movies or books -- or, they would

Well I can think of one critic that has written some stories for movies. Roger Ebert did BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS for example. Not that good of a movie though. But he's even admitted its not that easy to get a story across on film. By the time the movie is finished, the original story gets changed for too many reasons.

PRE-CODE WEIRD TALES OF HORROR GANGSTERS

OMG! Did I miss it? Is it on DVD? Still in pre-production?

If it was, then you might have a reason to pull out that tried and true tag of fanboy.

Yes, I have read little of the FF and even less of Elektra. I DID think they nailed at least my percpeiotns of much of the FF's character relationships. The FF movie actually felt more like a prequel as opposed to, say, Spidey 1 or X-Men 1, where a good percentage of the films was hero/villain action. FF was much more laid back in that respect, which contributed to my enjoyment. I tend to get a bit antsy when there is too much action and too little dialogue. (I confess they could have left out the "These are my lips" line, though.

As far as Elektra, I liked the relationship beween her and the girl, and the reflection of the girl in Elektra and vice versa. It grounded the movie for me. If that were not there I would not have liked it.

::edited for addition of most of this post::

MY MAN GODFREY

Great movie. One of my favorites.

I watched Sky High after watching Fantastic Four. I liked them both. I had fun. They were rentals and I felt I got my $$$ worth. Does anything else matter?

As for critical opinions, we saw Syriana a few weeks ago. That's two hours of my life I'll never get back. Critical success, but booooring. A complete snoozer.

But what I do notice, is that when anyone puts forth some good vibes about this movie you are there like Mighty Mouse to save the day

Why is someone like POV allowed to gush on about a movie like Elektra, yet I cannot offer an opposing view?

Or do you disagree that it was savaged by critics and viewers alike?

They knew enough to rate Catwoman at 9%... or do you disagree and feel that this movie is a classic?

They didn't even get that right...shoulda been a 1%. Or do they give percentage points for -script approval and the gall to greenlight [embarrassing lack of self control].

Well I can think of one critic that has written some stories for movies. Roger Ebert did BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS for example. Not that good of a movie though. But he's even admitted its not that easy to get a story across on film. By the time the movie is finished, the original story gets changed for too many reasons.

I'm not sure that Ebert qualifies. Now, Updike(for books)? Sure. But Ebert?

Come on guys let's not get into this stupid "critics are all failed, bitter screenwriters" stuff, as many of the headliners are paid better than real "movie writers", are more well-known, get better perks, often receive TV coverage, and would be utter to "take a step down" and write for the screen.

Just ask Ebert if he'd switch jobs and take a pay cut. 27_laughing.gif

Maybe viewing it from fanboy-colored glasses? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
Ya know, you use that "fanboy" tag quite a bit, but I would never mistake Povertyrow for a FF fanboy.

This movie was not entitled PRE-CODE WEIRD TALES OF HORROR GANGSTERS. If it was, then you might have a reason to pull out that tried and true tag of fanboy.

I am a FF fan who wants to get issues 1-6 so I can have a run of 300.

I love Kirby's art on that run, and about the only thing I dislike of the early FF is Agatha Harkness.

I even like kindly old mailman Lumpkin.

I would come closer to being labeled as a "fanboy".

Yet I'm not raving about this movie, although it was great to see someone from Marvel other than Spidey and Wolverine get some well deserved attention.

But what I do notice, is that when anyone puts forth some good vibes about this movie you are there like Mighty Mouse to save the day, while you pull out charts and statistics showing that anyone who liked the movie should hand their car keys to someone more capable of making decisions.

Maybe your signature line should say "The FF movie was horrible".

Then people would know up front that you hated it.

Isn't that the message you are broadcasting with your shotgun keyboard as you plug every thread that moves in a pro-FF direction.

Does anyone here not know of your feelings regarding this issue?

There might be a straggler over in the water cooler that hasn't heard you on this issue. poke2.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

But what I do notice, is that when anyone puts forth some good vibes about this movie you are there like Mighty Mouse to save the day

Why is someone like POV allowed to gush on about a movie like Elektra, yet I cannot offer an opposing view?

Or do you disagree that it was savaged by critics and viewers alike?

Oh by all means give us your opposing view. smile.gif

And when you first gave it 2 months ago(or whenever) I soaked it in along with the mediocre praise that it was getting.

This allowed me to get a good ballpark feel for how it was being received.

The negative along with the semi-positive was much appreciated.

Then when a few more people chimed in saying they liked it, you were there again, in case anyone missed your rating of it.

This was still fine....then.

But the best 4 star type rating around these forums that it was getting was

"It was a good popcorn movie". (which seems to be the consensus of the pro FFmovie camp.)

This was probably the highest overall "fanboy" praise-rating it was getting.

Compare that with the bad ratings some forum members were giving it.

Mix all this together and everyone here was able to come up with a good but not great consensus.

I could understand your continuing to remind us of how awful it was if people were coming to this forum and singing its praises as OSCAR material.

But near as I can tell..... no one is really doing that.

Yet you continue to make sure no gets the last word on this movie being at best, popcorn fun.

My last two posts on this were not to come to the FF-movie defense, but merely to disagree with your labeling povertyrow as an FF-fanboy.

And I believe pov posted here because he was frustrated with your ongoing stance.

You're a good poster JOE, but methinks you are obsessed with this.

Is my opinion on this out of line? confused-smiley-013.gif