• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman and Superman in the Special Edition Comics made for U.S. Navy during WWII
1 1

12 posts in this topic

On 11/26/2023 at 4:01 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

These are amazing! How did you come by them? Thanks for sharing!

Thank you.   Well I most recently bought the Detective 97 from Masteraddams on ebay.   And recently bought the Detective 97 regular edition from ICE collectibles in Ontario.   Both were 7.0's, so they were pricey.

I bought the Superman Special edition and regular edition on ebay in 2016.  If I recall correctly, the Superman Special Edition was about $700 and the regular edition was CGC 5.0 white pages for $377.   I'm glad I bought them back then, as it seems like the price of golden age got crazy a couple years ago (recognizing it softened a little bit at the end of last year).

I also got the Action 80 special edition many moons ago.   I still don't have the Superman 34, Action 81 and Action 84 special editions.   I don't recall seeing copies of any of those for sale in the last few years.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

On 11/26/2023 at 5:09 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

Thank you.   Well I most recently bought the Detective 97 from Masteraddams on ebay.   And recently bought the Detective 97 regular edition from ICE collectibles in Ontario.   Both were 7.0's, so they were pricey.

I bought the Superman Special edition and regular edition on ebay in 2016.  If I recall correctly, the Superman Special Edition was about $700 and the regular edition was CGC 5.0 white pages for $377.   I'm glad I bought them back then, as it seems like the price of golden age got crazy a couple years ago (recognizing it softened a little bit at the end of last year).

I also got the Action 80 special edition many moons ago.   I still don't have the Superman 34, Action 81 and Action 84 special editions.   I don't recall seeing copies of any of those for sale in the last few years.

Correction.... Masteraddams has a restored Special Edition of Action Comics 81 for sale for $1500 on ebay.  

On 11/28/2023 at 5:06 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Weird that this is the first time I have seen this being discussed here after all these years, so cool. 

Thanks.  In my mind, what is the point of having these rare comic books if you can't share them with fellow collectors?!

Amazing to see a piece of history, I hope the thread continues. I often get this feeling that there were no bans or injunctions in these old comics. And today? And I say this as a fan of black and white comics and my favourite hero, who is and always will be none other than Lobo (although I also have the Punisher in this version).