• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Way Is Batman Facing On The DKR Cover?
4 4

DKR   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which Way Is Batman Facing?

• Back Towards The Reader
    • Front Towards The Reader

43 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2023 at 9:10 AM, Funnybooks said:

this is what I learned from Frank's long time art dealer from many years ago...take it for what it's worth..probably not much hm

That's sort of what I was going for. I wanted to know the source of that info. Thanks for sharing!

On 11/30/2023 at 8:50 AM, VintageComics said:

Millar actually had a history of exaggerating boot heels. It's one of his signature motifs. Once you start looking, you'll start to see it in his art. 

The question is a very interesting one, but even more interesting is who chose to black out the silhouette?

Miller, Janson or Varley?

Any OA people with a deeper knowledge of this have any thoughts?

image.thumb.png.5491c43a4bd2cdf7ffb6ac76307c4d5d.png

I was just going to post this. Good work

On 11/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, VintageComics said:

I was surprised nobody posted it until now. A picture is worth 1000 words!

I don’t know if many people know about the Graphitti Designs AE. They were popular among AE enthusiasts, but I’ve come to realize a lot of people stay in their lane, and not many jump around between variations. 

On 11/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, Funnybooks said:

Varley painted Silhouette....Miller added white paint for lightning

That’s very interesting. 
And you obviously have a reliable source. It’s just that I would have figured due to the nature of the process, it would have been the opposite. Miller intended for the silhouette and Varley painted the lightning bolt

On 11/30/2023 at 10:00 AM, D2 said:
On 11/30/2023 at 9:57 AM, VintageComics said:

I was surprised nobody posted it until now. A picture is worth 1000 words!

I don’t know if many people know about the Graphitti Designs AE. They were popular among AE enthusiasts, but I’ve come to realize a lot of people stay in their lane, and not many jump around between variations. 

They're well known about here, I just stopped buying them years ago.I still have a couple.

I should really find a Miller one as he's on my Rushmore of comic artists. 

On 11/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

If it was back to the viewer, wouldn't we be able to see the right (as viewed from the back) cowl horn too?

Capture.PNG.7433e7e09fd74abaa1d2459109d8692e.PNG

Screen-Shot-2015-07-14-at-11_44.18-AM.png.e8638549a73b4edd8020bc95ec28eaf2.thumb.png.8ce7e8822dccb333ed8a1b9de3baa6d6.png

On 11/30/2023 at 9:04 AM, grendelbo said:

It is the Dark Knight returning, not leaving. hm

**He's got his back to us** but he's just jumping, like, across the street. Not to Tibet or something.

On 11/30/2023 at 11:01 AM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 11/30/2023 at 4:02 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

If it was back to the viewer, wouldn't we be able to see the right (as viewed from the back) cowl horn too?

Capture.PNG.7433e7e09fd74abaa1d2459109d8692e.PNG

Screen-Shot-2015-07-14-at-11_44.18-AM.png.e8638549a73b4edd8020bc95ec28eaf2.thumb.png.8ce7e8822dccb333ed8a1b9de3baa6d6.png

Apples and oranges. If his head was tilted much lower in the movie and his shoulder was bigger, like it is in Miller's rendering, one ear would disappear in the shadow. 

Whether Batman is facing backward or forward in your argument is irrelevant because either way, one ear would disappear with the right amount of head tilting. 

On 11/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, Funnybooks said:

that's unfair...he always gets it wrong...

Exactly. It all began with fast zombies.

Spoiler

300 was good though. Ain't going lie.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:50 AM, VintageComics said:

Millar actually had a history of exaggerating boot heels. It's one of his signature motifs. Once you start looking, you'll start to see it in his art. 

The question is a very interesting one, but even more interesting is who chose to black out the silhouette?

Miller, Janson or Varley?

Any OA people with a deeper knowledge of this have any thoughts?

image.thumb.png.5491c43a4bd2cdf7ffb6ac76307c4d5d.png

Thanks for posting that. I really had problems visualizing the front version.

It's like the 'is this an old woman or young girl' illusion.

top.png

Edited by bronze_rules

On 11/30/2023 at 10:31 AM, VintageComics said:

They're well known about here, I just stopped buying them years ago.I still have a couple.

I should really find a Miller one as he's on my Rushmore of comic artists. 

I have 3 of them, and they are all very different. VERY different. 

I have the Kitchen Sink Sin City AE as well as the Graphitti Designs Ronin and DKR books…

To be honest, as a Frank Miller freak myself, you need to have all three. Lol

They all are so very different that you can experience this crazy evolution in his art from 1983 to 1995. And people forget because his work now is, borderline offensive in some cases, but he was a true master. 

On 11/30/2023 at 1:36 PM, D2 said:

I have 3 of them, and they are all very different. VERY different. 

I have the Kitchen Sink Sin City AE as well as the Graphitti Designs Ronin and DKR books…

To be honest, as a Frank Miller freak myself, you need to have all three. Lol

They all are so very different that you can experience this crazy evolution in his art from 1983 to 1995. And people forget because his work now is, borderline offensive in some cases, but he was a true master. 

I've followed his progress meticulously since the late 1970s and I can see his changes, especially when Janson started doing the art and Miller was just doing layouts. 

I actually have a hard time labelling those DD issues from 185 onward as "Miller art" although I know many do. It was almost all Janson.

To this day, though Miller's art slays me. It hits me like nothing else does. Not Adams, not Wrightson, not Kirby. Nobody. It's probably just because he hit me during those formative early teenage years in the early 80's and my neurological pathways bonded with him. lol