• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a realistic possibility?
3 3

27 posts in this topic

It's great this forum attracts new members. However, a number recently have dived straight into the PGM section clearly without having checked out the etiquette and guidelines. I hope I don't sound petty, but could it be arranged that new members have to read at least 3 or 4 short bullet point guidelines and have to tick a box  to say "I have read these rules...." before being able to post in PGM? It would help retain the integrity of that section as a future resource. Thanks for listening!

Edited by LowGradeBronze

• Administrator
On 11/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

It's great this forum attracts new members. However, a number recently have dived straight into the PGM section clearly without having checked out the etiquette and guidelines. I hope I don't sound petty, but could it be arranged that new members have to read at least 3 or 4 short bullet point guidelines and have to tick a box  to say "I have read these rules...." before being able to post in PGM? It would help retain the integrity of that section as a future resource. Thanks for listening!

Hi

I might be able to set a minimum post count before new forum members can view it.   At this time, I do not think what you are describing is possible.  It has been discussed in the past.  Something like this would be helpful in other forums as well.  I guess the selling forum stands out the most.  Anyhow, I will take a peek into this.

Mike

On 11/30/2023 at 2:43 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

(thumbsu :rulez:

Adding a sub-forum specific pop up when you create a new topic can be done but you will need to download an updated (if available) plug-in. Back in 2016 on the marketplace for Invision a "Call to Action Popup" was being sold for that version of the forums, it doesn't look to have been updated though.

TBH I do not believe it will mater much; if you implement a post wall some will spam post until they can pass it then still not read the guidelines, if you created a pop-up some will just "X" out of it and not read the guidelines. The best solution is usually community policing (in a non "I hate newbs" way) to point them to correct their post by following the rules and provide them a quick link to them (even though they are on the sub-forum).

Edited by DougC

On 12/1/2023 at 3:06 PM, DougC said:

Adding a sub-forum specific pop up when you create a new topic can be done but you will need to download an updated (if available) plug-in. Back in 2016 on the marketplace for Invision a "Call to Action Popup" was being sold for that version of the forums, it doesn't look to have been updated though.

TBH I do not believe it will mater much; if you implement a post wall some will spam post until they can pass it then still not read the guidelines, if you created a pop-up some will just "X" out of it and not read the guidelines. The best solution is usually community policing (in a non "I hate newbs" way) to point them to correct their post by following the rules and provide them a quick link to them (even though they are on the sub-forum).

REPORTED. 

Reason: Newb. 

On 12/1/2023 at 2:56 PM, CGC Mike said:

Please grade my.....

Thanks. The only forum that i not yet spammedlol maybe im going to go for a walk on this place to definitly decrease the value of my collection lol

I have used this forum a couple of times and thank my fellow board members for helping me out.

I will occasionally pipe in with my opinion on occasion as well.

I do refuse to grade a single poster’s multiple books nor will I offer value evaluations. If I am asked to do this, I require payment for my experience and time.

Here is what happens when you place minimum posts counts in order to post in certain sections.

I am an Admin on another forum (Automobile Related) and the site Admins have made it so you have to have a minimum of 10 posts before you can send PM's or post in the Buy/Sell/Trade section, this was done due to spammers, however, folks that are new and only looking to buy or sell and do not have the required 10 posts will open a thread related to Buy/Sell/Trade in the general forums which is not permitted, I get the distinction of removing those threads and notifying the OP of the issue, not always fun, I do however let a few slide depending on the nature/content of the posts, replies and where it was posted.

No matter what you do, you will not make everyone happy.

• Administrator
On 12/1/2023 at 12:31 PM, marvelmaniac said:

No matter what you do, you will not make everyone happy.

Yep.  I think the large usage guidelines in red might get some people to click on it.  With that said, these are actually suggestions in the spare a grade forum.  I think members can do some self policing.  There  have been a few times that I have seen a half dozen or so threads from 1 person, and I removed some from public view.  I would rather stay out of that section unless there is a real need for me to step in.  This is meant to be fun place to hang out.