• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most unpopular Golden Age superhero
2 2

41 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2023 at 2:13 AM, Courageous Cat said:

the Bouncer! 

My first thought as well.  lol  He did have his own title for awhile, so grudging respect there!, but yeah. Probably not closing any deals for Netflix series these days.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:22 PM, szav said:

I'll see you one Green Lama and raise you a Masked Marvel.  I don't understand it, is he breaking out of an old folks home where his sisters are the nurses...and he's throwing his cousin the accountant into his twin brother mobster who just happened to be there at the time?

image.png.65139ce1e10911ad9e45f2f634ad09e3.png

This is a super-key.  It is the 1st appearance of both ditko-hand and the g.i. joe grip.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:22 PM, szav said:

I'll see you one Green Lama and raise you a Masked Marvel.  I don't understand it, is he breaking out of an old folks home where his sisters are the nurses...and he's throwing his cousin the accountant into his twin brother mobster who just happened to be there at the time?

image.png.65139ce1e10911ad9e45f2f634ad09e3.png

I brought some strange old comic...I still remember it was Vol 2 #7....first appearance of the Masked Marvel.  I bought it when the Billy Wright collection went up for auction.  9.4.

The one I liked better (and also have since sold) was Crack Comics #43 Church....HERE COMES CAPTAIN TRIUMPH !!  The Gerber Photo journal shows him headlining the covers from 1943-1949.  And he has all of Superman's powers plus invisibility.

Edited by ChillMan

On 12/4/2023 at 11:17 AM, Robot Man said:

Aquaman is low on my list but his older GA and SA stories were quite creative and imaginative. The concept of being able to control all the creatures of the sea to do your bidding was pretty cool and unique.

The current Aquaman has lost that charm. Just another angry, body slamming ordinary “super hero”. Sign of the times I guess. 

But when is the last movie that the star superhero and the main villain have been actual jacked body-slammers?

Black Manta is no joke.  He's been preparing.

yahya-1628169300.png

On 12/4/2023 at 4:04 PM, sfcityduck said:

I agree on Aquaman.  Never even made a cover in the GA (at least not in the U.S.). 

The only reason MF 73 matters is Green Arrow (as distinguished from the years earlier Arrow) & Speedy. 

You have a point.  But on the other hand, it's interesting to see obscure interior pages.  That you never see unless in a modern reprint.

Like Aquaman batting Nazi U-boats in MF 73:

22bf882adf2ce3a2a61c74a6094ce3e72502e881

Edited by ChillMan

On 12/6/2023 at 2:32 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

This was never deleted. It was moved to "General Discussion" and then moved back.

Hey...I found it in 2 seconds now.

But I looked for a long time before, and double-checked...and it wasn't anywhere.

Seems fishy....with most-media-hated Aquaman 2 coming and media-loved The Marvels bombing.

And CGC's main page hyping Wonka as a great December comic movie...and only listing A2 at the very bottom in the middle of a list of 4 other non-comic movies.

On 12/18/2023 at 5:54 PM, FoggyNelson said:

I never heard of. the Eye  before🤣

Speaking of never heard (no pun intended)....

I've NEVER heard of every media site's headline, in the days before a movie's release....(mis)quoting the star as saying "It's not looking good."

But search 'aquaman news'.  No surprise though....they've been absolutely trashing it for a year straight.

On 12/19/2023 at 10:22 PM, ChillMan said:

Speaking of never heard (no pun intended)....

I've NEVER heard of every media site's headline, in the days before a movie's release....(mis)quoting the star as saying "It's not looking good."

But search 'aquaman news'.  No surprise though....they've been absolutely trashing it for a year straight.

A bigger problem is that movie audiences have grown weary of superhero movies in general. People are just sick of the genre. Movie-goers are ready for something new, but the studios haven't figured out what that is yet, so they're milking the superhero genre for every last penny that they can squeeze out of it.

My prediction on the next big thing: manga turned into live action films where CGI is used to make all of the actors' faces look like manga/anime characters. Wait for it.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 12/22/2023 at 6:06 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

A bigger problem is that movie audiences have grown weary of superhero movies in general. People are just sick of the genre. Movie-goers are ready for something new, but the studios haven't figured out what that is yet, so they're milking the superhero genre for every last penny that they can squeeze out of it.

My prediction on the next big thing: manga turned into live action films where CGI is used to make all of the actors' faces look like manga/anime characters. Wait for it.

I very much appreciate predictions.  Throw big ideas out there...give ourselves a CHANCE to hit the jackpot.

My prediction, as I've said...is that eventually current/valid (at time of death) drivers licenses & passports of famous people will act as their PSA 10 rookie cards.  Think about it.  Guys will run out of sports stars to collect...and will want other famous people.

But Jimbo...how can we capitalize on your prediction?  I'm not familiar with it.  Is it like the upcoming KISS avatar?  Should we be trademarking every celebrity name slash avatar or something??

Green Lama wasn't lame or unpopular, neither was Cat-Man & Kitten; both had success extending to their own titles. Red Bee was kewl too & featured on several HIT Comic covers with excellent art. Nevertheless, there's a lot of eyebrow raising superheroes in the GA, usually secondary characters with weak stories and/or art that ...in some cases... are laughable. In fact spome of them get highlighted. Here's an example of a pathetic GA character reviewed by the Comic Tropes guy in a YouTube video that cracked me up! lol 

#711 appeared in early Police Comics (Quality Comics Group)...

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale!

On 12/24/2023 at 12:34 AM, ChillMan said:

I very much appreciate predictions.  Throw big ideas out there...give ourselves a CHANCE to hit the jackpot.

My prediction, as I've said...is that eventually current/valid (at time of death) drivers licenses & passports of famous people will act as their PSA 10 rookie cards.  Think about it.  Guys will run out of sports stars to collect...and will want other famous people.

But Jimbo...how can we capitalize on your prediction?  I'm not familiar with it.  Is it like the upcoming KISS avatar?  Should we be trademarking every celebrity name slash avatar or something??

If you're looking to make a profit, you could divest yourself of traditional American comics and start buying the early/rare/important manga-style comics.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 12/24/2023 at 10:02 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

If you're looking to make a profit, you could divest yourself of traditional American comics and start buying the early/rare/important manga-style comics.

I'm fascinated by first mentions & first images of characters that pre-date comics.  In comic strips. Or better yet...in very old books.

I feel about this like how I felt in 1990 when I first looked at the Overstreet Price Guide.  Fascinating...but impossible to actually know or find what's actually out there existing.

Maybe a business idea is a website for this.