• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pesky Price Tags
1 1

19 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2023 at 8:46 PM, BrightSide77 said:

Any tips for removing price tags placed directly on the face/cover of a comic (hair dryer + patience or ?) AND the resulting sticky residue that is inevitably left behind? 

So frustrating.  There's an Estate Sale company here that insists on doing this.  I've told them repeatedly they're killing whatever value the book has.

I've also wondered about it.  I have some books I put address stickers in on the splash page when I was young and foolish.  A lot of those have just peeled off after 50 years with no damage or sign they were there. :)

At some point, I'm going to take a low-value book with something like you're talking about and use Goo-Gone on the sticker.  I'm sure it will stain, but I'm going to try and brush it on the sticker only very lightly and then wipe it off and try to peel the sticker immediately.  I'm very skeptical.

I wonder if you could make a water-proof cover with a hole cut just the size of the sticker and then use a very brief blast of steam to loosen it.

On 12/3/2023 at 9:14 PM, Jayman said:

IMG_2552.thumb.jpeg.d8c491ac5528c678e10fc7152eadf18f.jpeg

Works great and evaporates quickly. Just wear gloves. As always, test an area first and use with caution.

Is it OK to drink? :cheers:

On 12/3/2023 at 10:16 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I knew a kid who sniffed stuff like that.  Eventually he lit his basement couch on fire and ended up in Juvy.

This is the good stuff:
 image.thumb.png.92dc8dc9a2d7f6655a7b5a95e243a439.png

On 12/3/2023 at 10:21 PM, MattTheDuck said:

At the risk of offending @batman_fan, you can still put together the models after you've killed off a bunch of brain cells.

I apparently had plenty to spare.

I hate it... would never buy books with this on it. But i remember a time i got free issue in extra of my purchase with it, i tried to remove the only things i succeeded was to break the color of the cover...

Does it work on the Metal-backed tags you sometimes see on tpbs and hardcovers from certain annoying retailers? 

On 12/4/2023 at 8:08 AM, Cat said:

Does it work on the Metal-backed tags you sometimes see on tpbs and hardcovers from certain annoying retailers? 

Yes, Bestine should work on foil metal-backed tags but recommend u wear an industrial or true N95 face mask when using it under a strong fume hood.

I've used lighter fuel.

A lot of remaindered graphic novels in UK bargain shops were American copies with British price or Titan Books stickers, so I used that stuff quite a lot back then.

On 12/5/2023 at 4:53 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I've used lighter fuel.

A lot of remaindered graphic novels in UK bargain shops were American copies with British price or Titan Books stickers, so I used that stuff quite a lot back then.

I use lighter fluid, although if you use too much or wipe too hard/too much, you can remove color from the covers, so be careful!