• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Logging in
2 2

13 posts in this topic

On 12/5/2023 at 6:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Let me talk to web help regarding this.

Mike

This was one of the technical issues that you raised with web help two years ago: 

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/504244-what-happened-to-the-2021-chat-board-technical-issue-thread/?do=findComment&comment=12221553

On 12/5/2023 at 7:18 PM, Yorick said:

I have to sign in twice on the homepage.  Lately I cannot sign in on the chat-board page.  Really frustrating.

There was a way to solve that. I'll try to find it if Mike doesn't beat me to it. 

Edit: try this Yoz:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/505079-chat-board-login-issues/?do=findComment&comment=12253463

See if that then allows you to sign in directly afterwards.

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Low ceilings

On 12/5/2023 at 11:55 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

There was a way to solve that. I'll try to find it if Mike doesn't beat me to it. 

Edit: try this Yoz:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/505079-chat-board-login-issues/?do=findComment&comment=12253463

See if that then allows you to sign in directly afterwards.

I thought I had seen that thread before...  I'll give it a read.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:05 AM, CGC Mike said:

Marketing would like to keep the popup on the screen.

That's understandable Mike, but did you impress upon them how irritating this is for signed up members? There was talk of adjusting cookies to stop the repetition - did that go anywhere? Is it possible to set it so that those who have signed up for the newsletter are excluded? Is a "do not show me this again" tick box possible? 

I do not know of any other website that chooses to ask me to do something that I have already done, on every visit, and which logs me out when I close my browser. And while we're at it, referring to Yorick's post above, I do not know of any other website that is incapable of stabilising its logging in process. 

Issues like these surely drive people away, especially those with less history and loyalty. You will have seen yourself the comments members make, airing their frustrations. Could you investigate and then make some definitive statements on these issues, in the area of the forum designed for that purpose, which you can then point to when people ask? This eternal cycle of "I can't log in" queries, posts and threads represent a significant issue which is almost certainly driving people away. Is that what CGC wants? Is that what you want, as our sole forum contact? These issues can either be solved, or they can't. If they can't, please, make a public statement that stands as the definitive Company position on the matter. Members can then decide what they want to do, when referred to it, knowing that the position will not change. 

• Administrator

I have brought up everything you have mentioned multiple times.  I do not see anything getting fixed until after the new year.  The team has been working on other things like streamlining our internal systems, the OSF ect...  They are not going to shut all of that down and work on the forum at this time.

On 12/6/2023 at 1:00 PM, CGC Mike said:

I have brought up everything you have mentioned multiple times.  I do not see anything getting fixed until after the new year.  The team has been working on other things like streamlining our internal systems, the OSF ect...  They are not going to shut all of that down and work on the forum at this time.

OK Mike. I don't know what OSF is, but I can appreciate why CGC would want to focus all their IT resources on the direct revenue generating aspects of their private business, rather than deal with some of the very longstanding issues affecting this free to join chat forum. On the flip side, I hope that they will appreciate that, sooner or later, even the most loyal members here may one day grow tired of pop ups, performance issues, lost content and problems with basic access.

On a personal note, I will continue to try to help the members here with their technical questions when I see them but I won't trouble you or any other CGC staff any further regarding matters of performance, administration policy and functionality. It is clear that none of them are a priority.

On 12/6/2023 at 5:27 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I will continue to try to help the members here with their technical questions

I'm not sure if my specific problem has been brought up before.  I understand the past problem logging directly into the "chat boards" rather than logging in on the "home-page".  Since those days, I login on the home page, click the chatboard header, and magically a new tab pops open with the chatboard.  My current frustration stems from logging in on the home page.  I click the login, the request for credentials pops up, I start typing my email, and then the email I began typing disappears and sometimes I'm prompted with something like "are you disabled and need help logging in?"  I have to click on the username/email blank and begin typing my email again.  It always accepts my entry the second time.  (shrug)

Annoying, but it won't stop me from logging in to read the latest entries from Marwood.  Or was that you?  :foryou:

I use Firefox and have all my cookies and data deleted upon quitting the application.  If that actually happens...