• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Myler sleeves for slabbed books, any good product out there anymore?

9 posts in this topic

So I had to replace a few sleeves on my books and ordered this product and it wasn't what I was looking for.  Anyone know where to get those old school sleeves that used to be on slabbed books?  Those really thick plastic ones.   The product I ordered looks like it will suffer from the same issues the non-old school sleeves have, tearing, ripping etc.   I need that rugged thick plastic that will survive a nuclear winter.  Are those no longer available? 

Thanks

616s5YAnkNL._SY500_.jpg

On 12/6/2023 at 7:39 AM, MAR1979 said:

Yep 914M2's, accept no substitutes

I put most of my books in these at this point.  I figure why not use the ones with the best protection, assuming all this is true. Especially the creep resistance part.

There are a lot of creeps in my neighborhood. 

Advantages of Mylar® Type D Compared to Commonly Used Plastics:
Resistance to diffusion of gases like oxygen, Carbon Dioxide, Sulfur Dioxide, etc. is 350 times greater than polyethylene.

Permanence. There is no noticeable change in storage-100 years when compared to 2 to 5 years for others.

Resistance to moisture, insect attack, fungus, mold, mildew, acid, oils, grease, and solvents is "excellent" compared to "fair" for others.

Strength and creep resistance is 10 times that of polyethylene, one-third the strength of steel.

Volatile Additions--Mylar® contains no dangerous plasticizers, slip additives, surface coatings, antioxidants, acid-hydrolysis compared to other commonly used plastics.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:29 AM, Joseph Ragno said:

I don't like the mylars because they leave large dogears at the corners.  BCWs are too loose, so you don't get a wrinkle free fit.  These are perfect:

Superior Fit Sleeves for CGC Graded Comic Book Slabs

I use their PSA and other trading card slab sleeves. They perfectly fit like a glove, which can be excellent or not great as one must be careful when inserting and removing