• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern raw books are so unstable...
1 1

38 posts in this topic

Its seems to be a lottery and its just so sad. as a buyer you will never be enough satisfyied of your deal and as a seller you will never know if you are going to be totally scammed...

2 exemple here of recent sales on ebay.

The first, 2 lots of Hush with a difference of 100%.

The second, so sad, 2 copy of batman 635 one who was a bit overpriced and à second where it was literally a robbery the seller just selfdestructed the value of is book with using the term of "used" if you looks the pics the books doesnt seems bad... the description also seems to be a great part of the process to win or loose... this is fearing honnestly.

Screenshot_20231209-070700_eBay.thumb.jpg.88c732038a92a5867ada06908309642d.jpgScreenshot_20231209-070641_eBay.thumb.jpg.e65fefc4442c182a14bc458b21806134.jpg

Screenshot_20231209-070840_eBay.thumb.jpg.228397e76e84cc5a7878c8f115e2720b.jpgScreenshot_20231209-070928_eBay.thumb.jpg.b17534cc1de082b55fad42ee6cd5fa3c.jpg

On 12/9/2023 at 1:56 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Did you buy a copy?

Not recently no, this books is already in my collection for many months now, in fact i even have 2 times this book in my life :roflmao:the first time i got them in a great lot of 60 batman issues who was my first purchase after started my collecting project, the overall lot was really clean and the price was ok but unfortunately the 635 had a scratch on the cover so i finally decided to sell the books to a friend after got a new copy 

On 12/9/2023 at 2:02 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Aie

IMG_9565.jpeg

When you see "ended" it means that the book was not sold i tought, you didnt think so?

But even if im right i agree that this books was already sold for this kind of ammount

Edited by BA773

On 12/9/2023 at 8:04 AM, BA773 said:

When you see "ended" it means that the book was not sold i tought, you didnt think so?

But even if im right i agree that this books was already sold for this kind of ammount

I looked up sold items and saw that.  Was curious what a VF+ copy usually sells for 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 12/9/2023 at 2:06 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I looked up sold items and saw that.  Was curious what a VF+ copy usually sells for 

The prices at the moment are terrible so i think the common price for this books is arround 50~ 75 at best. Just my opinion 

Edited by BA773

The bat books of this era not seems in a great health actually, but like always the freaking specualtors still there to lost their money... look, i think you heard about the next batman movie? >

( i specify that this auction had only 1 picture and absolutely no details about condition)

Screenshot_20231209-141639_eBay.thumb.jpg.6ee67e69ffb577d62014ab808a6985eb.jpg

Edited by BA773

I dipped my pinkie toe into modern Batman stuff (and a few other moderns) and got it chewed off, piranha-style. The only logic I can see with moderns is to buy 100 different books at cover price for $400 and hope that four of them sell for $100 each two years from now.

Luck of the draw. Also, shipping costs are important, as some sellers try to sneak in a reserve price by embedding it within the shipping so that they can guarantee a minimum whilst also setting up an auction that starts at $0.

Certainly, they could just set up a proper reserve price, but bidders don't like seeing that marked on an auction and being pressured by it, and sellers don't want to pay the additional fee in order to set one up. And setting a minimum auction price, although a possible alternative, doesn't look good either to many buyers.

Reserve price is an optional upgrade for auction-style listings, with a fee that is charged at the time of listing.

When you set a reserve price, bidders will see that you have a reserve price in place and whether it has been met, but not the reserve price itself.

I see shipping-embedded reserve prices far more often than proper reserve prices. It's probably only reserved for high value items where the fee is insignificant compared to the overall value of the item.

Edited by stormflora

On 12/9/2023 at 7:25 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I dipped my pinkie toe into modern Batman stuff (and a few other moderns) and got it chewed off, piranha-style. The only logic I can see with moderns is to buy 100 different books at cover price for $400 and hope that four of them sell for $100 each two years from now.

Bad logic for many reasons. First it is a gamble. Second is what do you do with the other 96? Most won’t even be worth what you paid for them. Third who wants to store them?

If you want to read and enjoy them then no money lost. You would be better off buying a nice already valuble $400. book and waiting it out for a return on your investment.

I long ago quit buying moderns period.

On 12/9/2023 at 7:37 AM, stormflora said:

Luck of the draw. Also, shipping costs are important, as some sellers try to sneak in a reserve price by embedding it within the shipping so that they can guarantee a minimum whilst also setting up an auction that starts at $0.

Certainly, they could just set up a proper reserve price, but bidders don't like seeing that marked on an auction and being pressured by it, and sellers don't want to pay the additional fee in order to set one up. And setting a minimum auction price, although a possible alternative, doesn't look good either to many buyers.

I see shipping-embedded reserve prices far more often than proper reserve prices. It's probably only reserved for high value items where the fee is insignificant compared to the overall value of the item.

Reserve auctions are the kiss of death. Rarely do they sell. Start your auctions at the least you will take and offer the least expensive shipping available.

I have found that good stuff if started out low will usually seek the market or better. Too many “auctions” start at the top of the market and most likely won’t sell at all. 

On 12/9/2023 at 11:24 AM, Robot Man said:

Reserve auctions are the kiss of death. Rarely do they sell. Start your auctions at the least you will take and offer the least expensive shipping available.

I have found that good stuff if started out low will usually seek the market or better. Too many “auctions” start at the top of the market and most likely won’t sell at all. 

Yeah, similar findings on my end too. Buyers hate being "forced" to buy things at certain prices. And the reasoning for that is, majority of the time, the seller thinking something deserves more when it's actually overpriced, but they want to recoup losses.

Just set up an auto-renewing auction with a minimum bid OR set a realistic maximum price with best offer enabled, and normal shipping. Let it sit for however long it takes to sell.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:15 PM, BA773 said:

:Screenshot_20231209-181305_eBay.thumb.jpg.e5b962857e3995f3b36d1d0d8a77fb89.jpg 

I can't say for certain, but I don't think this book sold for $125. It looks to me like it sold for $22.99

image.thumb.png.223950a527e6ee6e4810f16e33b2d293.png

What he's talking about (resetting the price) happens with Best Offers.

- If the seller makes an offer to a buyer on a BIN and they accept, the ending price shows as a strikethrough. 

- If the buyer makes a Best Offer on an auction, and the seller accepts, the auction ends showing the opening bid price.

If you want to see the real price, go to https://130point.com/sales/ and search for the auction title. You'll have to scroll through similar results, but that site shows you the actual sale price if it wasn't an auction.

Edited by stock_rotation

On 09/12/2023 at 22:27, LowGradeBronze said:

Je vais dire quelque chose de complètement incendiaire : les modernes ne valent fondamentalement rien et ont besoin de tout le battage médiatique et des discours des spéculateurs pour les maintenir. 

The real question is what is "modern"

On 12/9/2023 at 9:25 AM, Dr. Balls said:

gXYMAo.gif.700068541684f79cf07382358491e7c2.gif

On 12/9/2023 at 2:27 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I'm going to say something completely incendiary: moderns are basically worthless and need all the hyping and speculator talk to keep them up. 

Dealer incentives? Check. Convention exclusives? Check. Pre-graded 9.9s? Check. Special acetate overlays? Check. Adding 'Newsstand' to CGC labels? Check. Influencers "Buying" multiple copies and hyping on social media? Check.

Hard to deny LGB's point.