• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the completionist who have said stop
1 1

55 posts in this topic

Thanks for your replies guys, the first ones almost make me take a bad path but finally we re going to never give up. I know that the essential problem is that i have other problems in my life at the moment who make me feel bad and its the reason why i want to stop the hobby... and im still just a begginer in this adventure so the links with comic books arent yet enough strong and this means that I still doubt sometimes. I can make a comparison with Running, its now 5 years that i run, probably if i try to remind me 5 years ago it was a lot of time when i began where i wanted to rennounce. But now i do it for 5 years and I don't wonder anymore if i will continue or not, its now a part of my life, the link is so strong! And i think with the times it will happen the same things with comics and these questions will never be asked anymore at a certain point

On 12/13/2023 at 10:44 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ta. If a job's worth doing....

20230718_141715(2).thumb.jpg.5593c0e197a92e9e6b85797394b220c3.jpg 20230902_105042.thumb.jpg.88c2e14d9683ad7dbae9dfcb319cfd77.jpg

Your collection highlights an aspect that isn’t really discussed often, but I think we all experience, is that it just feels good to flip through. 

That’s a big part of the joy of collecting, especially for completists. 

I can actually feel myself flipping through your books. How crisp and clean the bags and boards are. How tight (not too tight!) the books are placed together… oh man that would be such a joy. 

:golfclap:

Conversely, that’s actually what I HATE about bargain bin diving, is how ugly and sticky and gross all of the books feel in their old plastics, smashed together with years of abuse… peeling the plastics apart from all the heat and overstuffing… wondering if the book trapped inside could even survive the ordeal. I hate gross books

🤮 

On 12/13/2023 at 10:44 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ta. If a job's worth doing....

20230718_141715(2).thumb.jpg.5593c0e197a92e9e6b85797394b220c3.jpg 20230902_105042.thumb.jpg.88c2e14d9683ad7dbae9dfcb319cfd77.jpg

Hm, doesn't look like long runs. Are they specific key issues of each cartoon series, or?

Also, as @D2 says, it's just so sleek and tidy. Simply aesthetic.

What are those dividers that you use? Do you have a link to Amazon or something?

On 12/13/2023 at 11:38 AM, stormflora said:

Hm, doesn't look like long runs. Are they specific key issues of each cartoon series, or?

What are those dividers that you use? Do you have a link to Amazon or something?

And they look like they’re in a room!

Not a basement.

I wish there was a table and chair furniture piece I could buy that would allow for me to sit and flip through long boxes without getting sore. 

On 12/13/2023 at 4:35 PM, D2 said:

Your collection highlights an aspect that isn’t really discussed often, but I think we all experience, is that it just feels good to flip through. 

That’s a big part of the joy of collecting, especially for completists. 

I can actually feel myself flipping through your books. How crisp and clean the bags and boards are. How tight (not too tight!) the books are placed together… oh man that would be such a joy. 

:golfclap:

Thank you, Dee Two :)

I've always mucked about with labels and stuff for my books. It's all part of the fun.

On 12/13/2023 at 4:35 PM, D2 said:

Conversely, that’s actually what I HATE about bargain bin diving, is how ugly and sticky and gross all of the books feel in their old plastics, smashed together with years of abuse… peeling the plastics apart from all the heat and overstuffing… wondering if the book trapped inside could even survive the ordeal. I hate gross books

🤮 

Indeed. I've been going to comic fairs and shops for 40+ years and in all that time it still hasn't occurred to most dealers to not overstuff their boxes and to not - and this is a pet hate - put them two deep on a table so you have to break your back reaching over to see what's in the one furthest from you. 

On 12/13/2023 at 4:38 PM, stormflora said:

The clue is on the box label :)

Always make your comics look pretty, Stormflora :cloud9:

Ultimate Guard:

s-l300.webp.c1689413f35a4e8761b1474ded6b5bcc.webp

On 12/13/2023 at 12:18 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 12/13/2023 at 11:35 AM, D2 said:

🤮 

Indeed. I've been going to comic fairs and shops for 40+ years and in all that time it still hasn't occurred to most dealers to not overstuff their boxes and to not - and this is a pet hate - put them two deep on a table so you have to break your back reaching over to see what's in the one furthest from you. 

....aaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why I still find great books hidden away, ripe for the picking... ;)

On 12/13/2023 at 5:41 PM, davidpg said:

....aaaaaaaaaaaaand this is why I still find great books hidden away, ripe for the picking... ;)

And then there's the boxes on the floor. I can't remember exactly when it happened, but I can no longer get up from looking in them without groaning. 

On 12/14/2023 at 1:45 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

And then there's the boxes on the floor. I can't remember exactly when it happened, but I can no longer get up from looking in them without groaning. 

giphy.gif.ee3d061f3123b092cddf034a75765127.gif

It’s good that the OP has access to all of this supportive and practical advice from the other boardies here, as I’ve said before, something unavailable to me at the start of my collecting.  I was very unrestrained and unfocused when it came to buying comics back then, the polar opposite to Steve / Marwood, and I’d buy anything that appealed to me in the slightest, within a kid’s budgetary limits, of course.  That, and I’ve always been a fairly voracious reader. All such an energised, exciting, frantic adventure back in the 70s and 80s. I wish, and something in parallel with the OP’s concerns about over-accumulation, that someone had advised or intervened to put a brake on my purchasing, which, in the end, resulted in a hoarder’s roomful of high-stacked boxes.  I’ve cut down a lot on that burden since then, had a couple of disastrous damage incidents in recent years, and common sense dictates that I don’t make the same building-up mistake again.  In the early days there were delusions that I’d be able to collect long runs of my favourite titles, but price inflation in the back issue market would always outpace my limited budget.  Then, being diagnosed with ADD a few years ago explained a lot about my historical impracticality and impulsiveness, an exploitable vulnerability painfully reinforcing the need to gradually distance myself. The changes in recent times have been profound.  When I joined the boards and started buying old comics again I restricted myself to buying only specific issues which I’d read and really connected to, the really important stuff, and gradually gravitated away from going to the LCS for new comics each week to runs reprinted in archive editions, Masterworks, trade paperbacks and other collected books instead.  Eventually, I ran out of space in that storage room and had to stop buying physical copies, around the early days of the film speculation boom, and defected over to the digital world as an answer to the accumulation and storage dilemma. There I can buy large bundles of diverse material which still satisfy my insatiable desire to reading a wide range of stories, as well as on occasion seeing some offers for complete runs as well. 

So, there is an evolution, having been in the same basic situation as the OP in my youth, but I hope the advice will lead him onto a more sensible path than the one I took, without such counsel. You’ve still got room to expand, but don’t go mental with it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/13/2023 at 11:55 PM, Ken Aldred said:

It’s good that the OP has access to all of this supportive and practical advice from the other boardies here, as I’ve said before, something unavailable to me at the start of my collecting.  I was very unrestrained and unfocused when it came to buying comics back then, the polar opposite to Steve / Marwood, and I’d buy anything that appealed to me in the slightest, within a kid’s budgetary limits, of course.  That, and I’ve always been a fairly voracious reader. All such an energised, exciting, frantic adventure back in the 70s and 80s. I wish, and something in parallel with the OP’s concerns about over-accumulation, that someone had advised or intervened to put a brake on my purchasing, which, in the end, resulted in a hoarder’s roomful of high-stacked boxes.  I’ve cut down a lot on that burden since then, had a couple of disastrous damage incidents in recent years, and common sense dictates that I don’t make the same building-up mistake again.  In the early days there were delusions that I’d be able to collect long runs of my favourite titles, but price inflation in the back issue market would always outpace my limited budget.  Then, being diagnosed with ADD a few years ago explained a lot about my historical impracticality and impulsiveness, an exploitable vulnerability painfully reinforcing the need to gradually distance myself. The changes in recent times have been profound.  When I joined the boards and started buying old comics again I restricted myself to buying only specific issues which I’d read and really connected to, the really important stuff, and gradually gravitated away from going to the LCS for new comics each week to runs reprinted in archive editions, Masterworks, trade paperbacks and other collected books instead.  Eventually, I ran out of space in that storage room and had to stop buying physical copies, around the early days of the film speculation boom, and defected over to the digital world as an answer to the accumulation and storage dilemma. There I can buy large bundles of diverse material which still satisfy my insatiable desire to reading a wide range of stories, as well as on occasion seeing some offers for complete runs as well. 

So, there is an evolution, having been in the same basic situation as the OP in my youth, but I hope the advice will lead him onto a more sensible path than the one I took, without such counsel. You’ve still got room to expand, but don’t go mental with it.

The fact is that i absolutely dont buy randomly i have a really specific goal but it doesnt change that the quantity of books is crazy

On 12/14/2023 at 12:38 AM, BA773 said:

The fact is that i absolutely dont buy randomly i have a really specific goal but it doesnt change that the quantity of books is crazy

You only have yourself to blame for buying too many comics and/or focusing on series that run for dozens or hundreds of issues. The companies that produce those comics are not holding you at gunpoint to buy them.

Update, I received an offer

Someone want to buy many of my batman issues, approximately 50 books. Contain the following keys: 

404-407,426-429 and the famous 423.

Other books are random issue between 409 to 562.

The guys want to pay me a price of 600 dollars. What do you think? It seems more than honnest.

Its crazy, i realize always i see the cash im ready to give up the hobby... i was in great hesitation these latest month about it and now that i see an offer like that im hesitating again