• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the worst price-quality ratio of your collection in term of story?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

What is the book in your collection you had paid the most and while reading it you discovered how bad the story was? 

Probably the Golden Age collectors are some good candidates here lol

Edited by BA773

I only really ever bought comics that meant a lot to me, that I connect to in terms of story and artwork. I’d already be aware of any such shortcomings, effectively ‘doing the research’ years in advance by having read a reprint.  So, I could rationalise quitting the chase when prices started to incessantly escalate a few years ago, thinking really, I’ve got enough that’s personally meaningful, let’s call it a day at this point.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/16/2023 at 8:06 PM, BA773 said:

That’s perhaps subjective. It’s possible that GA collectors appreciate and care about those old stories far more than we do, which then flattens out the quality / price discrepancy ratio far more than it would for us with those books.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 12/17/2023 at 12:28 AM, Readcomix said:

Ronin

I assumed the OP was thinking more about books up in the stratosphere like Hulk 181 or Action 1.

The out-of-reach for many of us stuff.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Honestly, any comic that costs more than the original printed price + inflation is likely already overpriced. The publishers back in the day priced their comics with value to consumer in mind, and the quality of story and of the printing reflects that.

On 12/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, Readcomix said:

You, ya world-renowned slab cracker! 

I gotta save space. I live in the refrigerator box under the bridge, you know.

The wife took the fridge.

Cap 332.  As a kid I loved cap from that era, and read most of the books up to and after he hung up the uniform in 332, but at $10 at the time the book was out of my price range and I don't think my shop even had a copy.  Always wanted to read it, as it was a monumental part of the story with an iconic cover.

Bought it as an adult and the story was trash :(

Screenshot_20231216_185117.jpg.4400da25be3902225012839d06ae1d39.jpg

On 12/17/2023 at 12:40 AM, Brock said:

Yeah, but the thread title says “ratio” so we did the math.

On 12/17/2023 at 12:46 AM, Readcomix said:

Exactly!

Sorry. I wasn’t aware that Ronin had got so pricey.  A little out of touch.

On 12/16/2023 at 10:41 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Sorry. I wasn’t aware that Ronin had got so pricey.  A little out of touch.

Not at all, just interpreting the OP differently. It's probably a $30-$50 raw run. For the money, I couldn't stand it. But if you want an expensive book that's a lousy read, how about Brave and the Bold #34? The silver Hawkman revival is awful reading. That said, I'd still enjoy a nice slabbed copy as I love Kubert's cover on that one. But I read the six-issue B&B revival in a TPB and it was thin gruel.

On 12/16/2023 at 3:06 PM, BA773 said:

What is the book in your collection you had paid the most and while reading it you discovered how bad the story was? 

This is a great question. 

It’s also a question I wonder how honest people will be lol

So, I don’t actually own any books in my collection anymore that I don’t love the story… a journey of collecting I’ve been quite vocal about. 

That being said, the weakest story I think I have, or rather, the story I am least in love with would be this (and I love this book series btw, seriously love it, so what does that tell you):

IMG_5593.jpeg

Edited by D2

Decades ago when i liked Liefeld (I mean, I still occasionally read Youngblood issues when I want dumb 90's fun, but they're the later non-Liefeld issues, which give me the stupid fun I want, kinda like the way I love d-grade shark movies) he advertised a new release of the Youngblood miniseries, all recoloured, for $120. That was expensive as back then, we're talking before the omnibus program had started, that's how old, for just 5 issues, but I figured hey why not, I've got the money, so why not, so I preordered it. 

It got delayed, and delayed, and delayed. Then one day it finally arrived at my LCS. Except the price had gone up, and it was no longer the 5 issues, it was just the first issue. It wasn't hardcover either, it was a softcover. I paid something like $140 for an oversized 'deluxe' reprint of Youngblood #1 with new colours and new dialogue. 

Yeah, everybody laugh at the insufficiently_thoughtful_person. 

Years later he eventually did offer the 5 issues miniseries rescripted and reordered by Joe Casey, in hardcover and at a cheaper price than what I'd paid for that 1 stupid issue. I did end up buying that for Casey's name, I enjoy his stuff. Even he couldn't save this. 

But anyway, that's by far my biggest shame in all my years of collecting comics. And yes, I complained to my LCS owner about the comic, that I shouldn't have to buy it because it wasn't what it had been solicited as, but he told me no dice, I'd ordered it, I had to buy it. I still don't think that was fair. I ordered a 5 issue hardcover, not a 1 issue softcover. That's not the same product at all. That's a straight bait and switch. I still have it at home, my eternal mark of shame. 

On 12/17/2023 at 8:03 AM, D2 said:

This is a great question. 

It’s also a question I wonder how honest people will be lol

So, I don’t actually own any books in my collection anymore that I don’t love the story… a journey of collecting I’ve been quite vocal about. 

That being said, the weakest story I think I have, or rather, the story I am least in love with would be this (and I love this book series btw, seriously love it, so what does that tell you):

IMG_5593.jpeg

But you had change the pics? lol

Edited by BA773