• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2023 at 5:20 PM, Happy Noodle Boy said:

Being a "raw comics" (I really don't like that term, but we're stuck with it) person myself, here's where I would normally say, "Buy it ungraded!" but in a case like Hulk 181 I wonder how many raw copies are out there in high grades that haven't been slabbed. It seems like anyone who wants to actually check the inside pages of a high end book before they purchase it these days is going to be out of luck, because slabs are often the only game in town.

High value raw comics can be a problem as well. When I got into the vintage comic book market back in 2003 I won $5,000 worth of raw books advertised as unrestored from a seller who had a 100% rating. Most of these were mid to lower grade keys like Hulk #181, Daredevil #1, etc. For whatever reason I got suspicious and started checking what some of the people that had left him positive feedback had won. Of course, it turned out that he had 3 or 4 other shill accounts, which he used to buy CGC graded restored books, crack them open and then sell them as slightly higher graded raw unrestored books on this account. Since Ebay used to allow payment via check back in the day, I quickly called my bank and cancelled the transaction. The interesting thing is that he had already sent me the books. As soon as I received them I repackaged the books and sent them back to him on my own dime. I then told him I knew what he was up to and reported him to Ebay. Not sure if Ebay did anything, but I think other buyers took him down soon thereafter.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:57 PM, Bo1983 said:

If there’s one then there’s thousands all ready out there I bet!

I also think there is a pattern where he is sticking to very common keys, with vary high census numbers, from the Bronze and Copper Ages.  Not only does this approach make it harder to track down what books were swapped, it makes easier to repeat.  Also it raises less suspicion.  H181 is so common I am sure CGC regularly receives multiple requests for re-holders so a small bump in requests would not raise any flags. If they started seeing many requests on books with a small census, questions may be asked why the sudden surge.  So I doubt this is happening in golden age books, just not enough out there.  Also slightly less common with silver age keys, again fewer out there.   

On 12/21/2023 at 6:00 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Cracking out a 9.8 to swap in a 9.6 seems risky.  What if the actual 9.8 doesn’t get a 9.8 on resub?

Those were likely the early days where he was just testing the waters.

On 12/21/2023 at 10:02 PM, agamoto said:

How the frig can this guy afford the eBay fees?!? Surely, eBay has a limit to the number of times the guy can claim no payment before they cut him off. 

There are no eBay fees until a payment is made, so eBay would not care.

If payment is made and he has to refund, the fees get refunded. 

So eBay fees are a complete non-factor.

and doesnt help that cgc has many of books "notes unavailable" without pictures, frustrating. 

here this book sold by same seller twice the first time was an outlier maybe made to pump up the price at 17K  , didnt help with second sale much 

source gocollect and worthpoint 

image.thumb.png.7faa66bc149f58e907edbd6d4851eca4.png

image.thumb.png.eab23f51fff4e72dd6ac5463e6ad3dab.png

image.thumb.png.3c6fd9bd6ce4f55e4e3bf1b5f05bee28.png

Edited by Changer

On 12/21/2023 at 7:23 PM, Changer said:

and doesnt help that cgc has many of books "notes unavailable" without pictures, frustrating. 

here this book sold by same seller twice the first time was an outlier maybe made to pump up the price at 17K  , didnt help with second sale much 

I saw that too, but you just unlocked another piece of the puzzle. 

That third Wolverine that sold... It's the same background used by "ZaneGlor" and the ad copy is identical to Briva3's... Briva3 and ZaneGlor are the same seller.

On 12/21/2023 at 10:23 PM, Changer said:

Notes on comics in the mid-high 9's are practically nonexistent. Perfect for someone scamming with 9.8's.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:29 PM, agamoto said:

I saw that too, but you just unlocked another piece of the puzzle. 

That third Wolverine that sold... It's the same background used by "ZaneGlor" and the ad copy is identical to Briva3's... Briva3 and ZaneGlor are the same seller.

yes that is also his instagram name @zaneglor_comics

On 12/21/2023 at 10:30 PM, agamoto said:

The same Zaneglor found here doing the exact same switcheroo trick.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/zaneglor It seems that account doesn't exist anymore, or am I doing something wrong?

Edit: or this could be the terminated account he used during 2011-2015 for those older listings you found on Worthpoint

Edited by JC25427N

On 12/21/2023 at 7:19 PM, Timed said:

Since the culprit has already stated he has over 30 years experience with comics, it's not hard to believe that he was selling under a different eBay before. And if he was indeed using a different eBay that got banned, it's not unlikely that he'd be willing to use multiple CGC accounts to skirt suspicion for all the reholders... :ohnoez:

Please tell me this guy isn't Jason Ewert making a comeback again. The 30-year experience comment scares me.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:38 PM, Changer said:

Didnt anyone here buy a comic from him? We need the names and return address   Of course , CGC knows the names since he has been submitting the certs but not likely they will ID him. 

According to his ads here, "Zaneglor" is from Phoenix, AZ. Briva3, however, is listed on eBay as being from Forest Hills, NY. 

https://comicbookcollection.biz/the-amazing-spider-man-1-cgc-7-5-after-fantasy-15-stan-lee-fantastic-four.htm

The seller is "zaneglor" and is located in Phoenix, Arizona.

Edited by agamoto

On 12/21/2023 at 10:40 PM, agamoto said:

According to his ads here, "Zaneglor" is from Phoenix, AZ. Briva3, however, is listed on eBay as being from Forest Hills, NY. 

https://comicbookcollection.biz/the-amazing-spider-man-1-cgc-7-5-after-fantasy-15-stan-lee-fantastic-four.htm

On 12/21/2023 at 10:38 PM, Changer said:

Didnt anyone here buy a comic from him? We need the names and return address   Of course , CGC knows the name since he has been submitting  but not likely they will ID him. 

I thought the name sounded familiar, I think I won an auction from Zaneglor in 2020.  But I checked my ebay purchase history and saw the seller's name as aureliaag. I thought that sounded odd so I went to https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/aureliaag and it has a little symbol next to their name that says the user ID has changed recently, so I tried putting zaneglor in that feedback profile URL and it leads to the same page with the same feedbacks https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/zaneglor . I don't know why ebay doesn't just show you ID history anymore but this seems to be a hacky workaround if you know what you're searching for.

So zaneglor is currently aureliaag, but hasn't sold anything for a couple years it seems.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:40 PM, agamoto said:

that ad is from 2016, so not sure if its him or moved. 

On 12/21/2023 at 7:45 PM, JC25427N said:

I thought the name sounded familiar, I think I won an auction from Zaneglor in 2020.  But I checked my ebay purchase history and saw the seller's name as aureliaag. I thought that sounded odd so I went to https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/aureliaag and it has a little symbol next to their name that says the user ID has changed recently, so I tried putting zaneglor in that feedback profile URL and it leads to the same page with the same feedbacks https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/zaneglor . I don't know why ebay doesn't just show you ID history anymore but this seems to be a hacky workaround if you know what you're searching for.

So zaneglor is currently aureliaag, but hasn't sold anything for a couple years it seems.

you wouldnt happen to have kept the address ? I don't but now may have to from my purchases. 

On 12/21/2023 at 7:45 PM, JC25427N said:

Damn, a LOT of big books sold by Mr. Zaneglor. 

whoa, so I saw the feedback, the buyer feed back in particular. I wonder if any knows comicbookstation 

they would have his address since he bought something from them , and would be able to get the address and name 

FEEDBACK
FEEDBACK FROM SELLER WHEN

awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More than a year ago

A++ ebayer thanks for understanding
More than a year ago

Great ebayer always a pleasure
More than a year ago

On 12/21/2023 at 10:47 PM, Changer said:

you wouldnt happen to have kept the address ? I don't but now may have to from my purchases. 

I didn't keep the address and ebay doesn't give me anything about that order anymore except for my own address at the time and the tracking number which doesn't work anymore, but I think I remember it coming from Phoenix AZ, I remember religiously looking at the tracking at time since it was a big book for me at the time (It was the Campbell variant for Siege #3)