• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 12/23/2023 at 6:01 PM, agamoto said:

Well now that the fellow has been effectively doxxed, CGC does have more of an excuse to lock/delete the thread. I hope that doesn't happen.

Also, Bree is a Scorpio! Oooh!

We did this with Jason Ewert nearly 20 years ago and exposed the culprit and the thread was never locked.  If CGC is looking to get to the bottom of this and find the culprit that has committed these devious acts, then they will keep this thread alive until there is a resolution.  Anything else would show abandonment by CGC for the situation...

Edited by mosconi

On 12/23/2023 at 9:28 PM, paqart said:

I wonder. Googling the name doesn't show any connection to comics. How many active buyers and sellers of comics cannot somehow be linked to comics on social media?

Many actually.   I am not being facetious here.  I know a few collector friends that early on taught me never to use my full name with any collectibles for a multitude of reasons.

I know a few friends that if you search their name and the terms "collectibles", "comics", "toys", or anything like that, then the search will not yield anything.  They also have amazing collections that no one knows about and that is one of the ways that they keep it that way. 

On 12/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, Pontoon said:

Sorry to interject, but this has been driving me crazy and it's important to get details like this correct for posterity. It's DUPCAK. Not "Dupchak." there's no "h" in there.

Carry on.

Speaking of something related.  Danny Dupcak's alternate address in Massapequa is located a few blocks away from the Massapequa Park Gilgo Beach serial killer.

Who I would like to add FINALLY put their Christmas lights up.  There is no excuse at all for not being festive this time of year.   

I had business around that block dropping off a bottle of coquito. 

IMG_9217 Large.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 12/23/2023 at 8:09 PM, sledgehammer said:

Agreed. Is that that Automatic Comics dope again?

He said the 2 ASM books might be the same copy. "Shifting"

It was.  I wanted to hear why we know it wasn't just the same re-holder scam as all the others.  But he just said that it was likely a marriage scam rather than a re-holder scam because we can't find where that cert number was sold previously.  That proves nothing.  It's a pretty big leap from re-holder scam to married pages scam.  The cost is far greater, and the likeliness of success in changing the label from green to blue is far lower.   

On 12/23/2023 at 8:59 PM, agamoto said:

Yeah, I don't think doxxing anyone is right... It's a distraction, especially when one of the B. A. Riva's is a female flight attendant for expressjet that graduated highschool in 2007 with zero connection to comics.

I really don't get it. The eBay sellers name is B Riva

One of his customers came on, and showed a message and said that the sellers name is Bree

All I said is that there is a Bree Riva, that matches perfectly three different eBay seller city locations that have already been documented.

It really wasn't some enormous leap.

Edited by sledgehammer

On 12/23/2023 at 8:56 PM, comicwiz said:

One thing I'd like to share with everyone. Aliases are horrible ways to make connections to real people. The concern here is we veer off-course and this thread goes poof. Let's slay this without the thread going poof. 

Its also somewhat beside the point. The question is how did this happen and how does it get fixed. Whatever this seller has been doing, at least another dozen are for sure. 

With all the ideas presented in this thread for new measures CGC could take to make sure this doesn't happen again, the cost-per-slab to CGC needs to be taken into account. Because any security measure expensive enough to significantly increase the fees to slab comics could result in CGC losing business. And CGC has to take that into account. I don't send books in to be slabbed, but whatever the price is, if it were to, say, suddenly double due to new security measures, that could lead to more casual customers deciding to stop slabbing their books entirely.    

On 12/23/2023 at 9:09 PM, Happy Noodle Boy said:

With all the ideas presented in this thread for new measures CGC could take to make sure this doesn't happen again, the cost-per-slab to CGC needs to be taken into account. Because any security measure expensive enough to significantly increase the fees to slab comics could result in CGC losing business. And CGC has to take that into account. I don't send books in to be slabbed, but whatever the price is, if it were to, say, suddenly double due to new security measures, that could lead to more casual customers deciding to stop slabbing their books entirely.    

Well what does CGC want to be? They can implement some changes even at higher cost to make sure they can stand behind the product, or they can be a slab mill like PGX.  

On 12/24/2023 at 2:24 AM, VintageComics said:

About 30 years ago I was having a religious debate with a guy about the 10 commandments. 

I soon realized he hadn't ever read the Bible, he'd only seen the movie. 

So then I asked him a specific question about his beliefs, to which he replied: "I don't know. I'm going to have to see the movie again." 

I literally died on the spot. lol

"I literally died"? That's pretty serious.

On 12/23/2023 at 7:48 PM, agamoto said:

And how the heck does a 36 year old have a 30 year history with comics. Gotta be careful doxxing people like this. Common for scammers to use fake names or names of their neighbors etc.

Maybe Bree Riva is his wife/girlfriend and he's using her eBay account because his previous one was flagged or shut down?

On 12/23/2023 at 10:03 PM, Nick Furious said:

It was.  I wanted to hear why we know it wasn't just the same re-holder scam as all the others.  But he just said that it was likely a marriage scam rather than a re-holder scam because we can't find where that cert number was sold previously.  That proves nothing.  It's a pretty big leap from re-holder scam to married pages scam.  The cost is far greater, and the likeliness of success in changing the label from green to blue is far lower.   

I think the swapped books fraud is actually far easier to execute, lower skill, and given the loophole is easier than trying to marry pages.  He has found a method that works well.  i see no reason he would try something different.

On 12/23/2023 at 9:35 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Maybe Bree Riva is his wife/girlfriend and he's using her eBay account because his previous one was flagged or shut down?

That checks out, I point you to the 30 years of comics history mentioned.

But I for one find it all convoluted not in logic or progression, but all the moving parts is hard for me to keep track.

Carry on 💪😀