• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

Just so make my point more accurately - yes, I do believe we are likely dealing with the same 181 based on the similarities on the front, and I really appreciated all of the time and effort it took to compile this. When I go through the pictures carefully I try to line up key features in the defects. 

When I said the back is less convincing than the front there are three flaws on the back that appear differently in the two photos. Again, these could just be lighting and resolution. I marked them on the blue label 181 back photo and re-attached it. 

A - there is a large and pronounced crease on the blue label that I cannot see on the green label. This is important because to my eye it looks as though it has not been pressed (or was pressed badly). 

B - the stain is deeper and easier to see. Could easily be lighting. 

C - a unique feature to the stain is a small "bite" in it where it is recessed in one spot. I do not see this in the green label, but that may just be resolution. 

So those are my points in a nutshell. Is it the same book? Probably. Would it hold up in a court of law with these pics? I have doubts it would, and I can't say I am more than 80% sure it is the same book either. 

181.jpg

On 12/26/2023 at 12:02 PM, comicwiz said:

That's the fifth I just posted

@THE_BEYONDER I think I might be incorrect, I counted 6. I'm going to send you a PM with all the links, and you can confirm, and use them to compile. Might be a little easier than wading through this all. The ones I began today are formatted to two links for each discovery, the ones previous have more links.

On 12/26/2023 at 10:15 AM, Buzzetta said:

That's the thing that troubles me.  The grading sequence does not make sense and that is when I start to consider, like you, that there is the possibility as to what you call, "backstage" access.  However, if there was something going on behind the scenes, why not just create a new serial number which would ward off further suspicion? 

Maybe it was a simple typo by CGC data entry clerk? Is it only the 1 switcheroo with impossible grade dates?

On 12/26/2023 at 10:48 AM, sledgehammer said:

JMO

People are going to open these blue labels and find the qualified books inside.

I don't think there are undetectable marrieds.

I also think this is the reason we haven't seen any restored books in blue labels yet (at least from this guy). He doesn't want to take the chance of a CGC employee or a buyer finding an obvious resto on the front and back cover. The missing inserts are easier to hide.

On 12/26/2023 at 11:21 AM, mephistopheles said:

Maybe it was a simple typo by CGC data entry clerk? Is it only the 1 switcheroo with impossible grade dates?

As noted above, we now believe the date discrepancy was based on the original unrestored slab retaining its original grading date, even if it was reholdered months later (after the switcheroo). 

On 12/26/2023 at 12:23 PM, skybolt said:

I also think this is the reason we haven't seen any restored books in blue labels yet (at least from this guy). He doesn't want to take the chance of a CGC employee or a buyer finding an obvious resto on the front and back cover. The missing inserts are easier to hide.

What about trimmed books? 

On 12/26/2023 at 12:35 PM, drotto said:

The books found still seem to be bronze and copper age books.  Trimmed seems to be a much bigger issue in SA books, but I could be wrong. But it is another items that seem likely to go un-noticed with swapping.

Turning SA trimmed books into blue labels could be quite lucrative.  Hopefully this isn’t already happening….