• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,030 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2024 at 3:17 PM, EastEnd1 said:

There's an awful lot of Spidey #300s on that list.

And 194's weirdly enough. I think it's the second highest number of books after the 300. Why 194's? Am I missing something about that book in particular? 

Definitely dabbled in early SA keys as well. Interesting to see if they took advantage of the custom label offerings for these.

-bc

On 1/3/2024 at 6:24 PM, LordRahl said:

And 194's weirdly enough. I think it's the second highest number of books after the 300. Why 194's? Am I missing something about that book in particular? 

Maybe a bigger jump in price from 9.4/9.6 to 9.8 than most books?

On 1/3/2024 at 5:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No kidding.  The scammer really likes 194 as well.  

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fcgcitems.asp%3Fid%3D3884%26Graded%3D%26pg%3D11%26x%3D38%26y%3D13&id=1738870

This one is on the list.

@ComicLink Rick  @COMICLINK

On 1/3/2024 at 6:28 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Maybe a bigger jump in price from 9.4/9.6 to 9.8 than most books?

Maybe it was a "practice book" to test the waters?

-bc

On 1/3/2024 at 6:32 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m curious how many of those ASM 300s are currently for sale…

or will be in the next 24 hours.

-bc

On 1/3/2024 at 6:36 PM, LordRahl said:

There are 57 9.8 ASM 194 in that list. That is like 11% of the total population of 9.8 copies. 

:censored:

Ok, let me correct myself then, he not only practiced on them, he mastered the technique and then manipulated the market.

-bc 

On 1/3/2024 at 3:35 PM, bc said:

or will be in the next 24 hours.

-bc

At this point why would you try to offload when you'd likely get busted? CGC is going to buy it back, presuming at the price paid for the book. In fact people that bought during the pandemic bonanza are probably ecstatic that this guy scammed them because they just made their money back and most of the books on that list are going for considerably less now than they were during the pandemic craziness.

On 1/3/2024 at 6:40 PM, LordRahl said:

At this point why would you try to offload when you'd likely get busted? CGC is going to buy it back, presuming at the price paid for the book. In fact people that bought during the pandemic bonanza are probably ecstatic that this guy scammed them because they just made their money back and most of the books on that list are going for considerably less now than they were during the pandemic craziness.

I doubt CGC is going to reimburse the purchase cost.  Most likely they will offer current going rate 

As I pointed out in my random example of the Iron Man 1 that was graded last Friday - this person has a steady supply of material to dump.

-bc 

Lots of assumptions here.  I'd think it's more likely that IF a regrade is appropriate, and IF that regrade results in a difference then CGC will reimburse the difference.  No one is getting a free book.

On 1/3/2024 at 3:41 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I doubt CGC is going to reimburse the purchase cost.  Most likely they will offer current going rate 

I'm not a lawyer but I work with them a lot. They are a risk averse bunch. I will bet that they will advise CGC to just pay out the purchase cost so as to avoid any chance at a lawsuit. Most likely CGC will offer one of two things. A) they buy the book from you outright at your cost and now CGC owns the book or B) they will regrade it and you can keep it with CGC making up the difference in price between bought at grade and current grade. CGC's preference would obviously be the latter as they don't want to own these books and it leaves more room for negotiation but if they are just buying the book from you outright, I think it will be at cost (assuming you can prove your cost).

On 1/3/2024 at 3:47 PM, RonS2112 said:

Lots of assumptions here.  I'd think it's more likely that IF a regrade is appropriate, and IF that regrade results in a difference then CGC will reimburse the difference.  No one is getting a free book.

Free book? Where did you read that? You won't get the book, just what you paid for it. CGC gets the book. Same thing they did with the Ewert books. If they paid you for it, CGC got the book. You don't get to keep the book AND also get paid for it.