• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

CGC won’t buy back your 9.8s, they will crack, review, then send them back to you if they retain 9.8. If not a 9.8, then they will ask for you to keep the lower grade book and accept the price difference.

as for all those 194s in 9.8, half are still 9.8 in theory as he/she swapped books, then resubbed those 9.8s for double profit.

On 1/3/2024 at 3:55 PM, Mdesimone said:

I purchased the asm 129 for 1600 back in 2019, I proved it was an 8.0 swapped into a 9.0 case. The 8.0 in todays market is worth more then what I paid. I’m better off cracking pressing and re submit 

You won't be the only one in this boat. It's going to depend on the grade bump and if things were purchased pre-pandemic.

On 1/3/2024 at 3:59 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

CGC won’t buy back your 9.8s, they will crack, review, then send them back to you if they retain 9.8. If not a 9.8, then they will ask for you to keep the lower grade book and accept the price difference.

as for all those 194s in 9.8, half are still 9.8 in theory as he/she swapped books, then resubbed those 9.8s for double profit.

You are stating this as fact and not conjecture so the obvious question is... how do you know this?

On 1/3/2024 at 6:59 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Are they though?  Wouldn’t the scammer be using the actual 9.8 slabs to continue the switcheroo?   I doubt they were selling actual 9.8s

On 1/3/2024 at 5:02 PM, LordRahl said:

You are stating this as fact and not conjecture so the obvious question is... how do you know this?

This is how ME works, and I doubt they will buy anything back that’s not affected.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:04 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Are they though?  Wouldn’t the scammer be using the actual 9.8 slabs to continue the switcheroo?   I doubt they were selling actual 9.8s

Why would one keep a stack of 9.8 raws? If you can swap lower grade books into 9.8s for reholder, then sub the 9.8s that are legit as new submissions it’s double profit time!

On 1/3/2024 at 4:04 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

This is how ME works, and I doubt they will buy anything back that’s not affected.

No, of course they won't buy it back if the grade didn't drop. If you bought a 9.8 and it's still a 9.8... well you bought a 9.8, the end. But let's say you bought a 9.8 and it was a 9.4 switcheroo and CGC says the book is now a 9.4. You are saying that CGC won't buy the "9.8" which is really a 9.4. How do you know that?

On 1/3/2024 at 7:07 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Why would one keep a stack of 9.8 raws? If you can swap lower grade books into 9.8s for reholder, then sub the 9.8s that are legit as new submissions it’s double profit time!

I’m not suggesting the scammer has a stack of actual 9.8s

I’m suggesting that they are resub bing the same raw 9.8 to continue getting new 9.8 slabs to swap with.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:08 PM, LordRahl said:

No, of course they won't buy it back if the grade didn't drop. If you bought a 9.8 and it's still a 9.8... well you bought a 9.8, the end. But let's say you bought a 9.8 and it was a 9.4 switcheroo and CGC says the book is now a 9.4. You are saying that CGC won't buy the "9.8" which is really a 9.4. How do you know that?

I don’t actually know for sure, but a recent ME for me ended that way. Maybe they will change the process for this incident, not sure.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:07 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

100% correct. This guy isn't sitting on dozens of raw 9.8s just because. He has sold them as brand new 9.8s so some of those books will be the actual grade stated.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:09 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m suggesting that they are resub bing the same raw 9.8 to continue getting new 9.8 slabs to swap with.

I get it, or your example makes sense to me. Who knows what this individual was doing. 

On 1/3/2024 at 4:09 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Too many examples of the same book and given TAT's it wouldn't be practical to do this. Not that long ago, TAT's were months long. Imagine having to wait 6 months for your 1 copy of a 9.8 to pull the scam again.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:11 PM, LordRahl said:

Too many examples of the same book and given TAT's it wouldn't be practical to do this. Not that long ago, TAT's were months long. Imagine having to wait 6 months for your 1 copy of a 9.8 to pull the scam again.

TATs are not 6 months for $3000 books, much closer to 6 days. 

On 1/3/2024 at 7:11 PM, LordRahl said:

With these high dollar books, was he doing Walk-Thru tier since it was available? This person seemed to submit a decent amount of books based on what has posted here and the CGC announcement.

-bc

On 1/3/2024 at 7:13 PM, Tnexus said:
1288075-001     Amazing Spider-Man #121 (Signed & "RIP GWEN" by Gerry Conway & signed by Stan Lee on 2/28/15)     1973     9.8 (Signature)
Really curious about this one. They were scamming SS books too?    

That adds a new wrinkle to the plot...

-bc