• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2024 at 8:52 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

The point I was getting some of people here *see below* are the same people who complain on these boards 24/7, and are total hypocrites.  They say for example in this thread values of CGC are now drastically heading downward, but if they sold any of their CGC books they would certainly not discount them because of this scandal.  Nothing was directed at you personally.

I didn't take anything personally. I do find it odd that you thought "are the same people who complain on these boards 24/7" and decided to "prove your point" to me who had less than 15 posts total before this.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:55 PM, wombat said:

I certainly appreciate you paying attention to me for years. (worship)

We both stalk each other. :peace:

On 1/4/2024 at 5:56 PM, gmasstermcd said:

I didn't take anything personally. I do find it odd that you thought "are the same people who complain on these boards 24/7" and decided to "prove your point" to me who had less than 15 posts total before this.

Others replied you are just the one who kept it going the longest.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:56 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

You usually buying at Market Value, and most sell at Market value.

I understand you point, but when it time to sell I am sure you wont be okay with 50% of the value just to be a nice guy lol

Where are you selling books at market value? Even Heritage takes 30% so you are only selling at 70% market value, and if you go to a comic shop you are lucky to start negotiating at 50% of FMV.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:45 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I am just asking an honest question about the falling knife that some of you claim is happening.

I mean if I owned stock in a company and it was going to zero I would love to have someone like me there to buy it before you lose it all.

Would you like to sell your CGC books before they go to zero?  I will give you 50% of current market value

Ease up on the Straw-Man arguments.  Where did "going to zero" come from?  There's a lot of space between "falling in value" and "going to zero".  The legitimate question is; will there be some impact on values...or zero impact on values?

On 1/4/2024 at 5:58 PM, gmasstermcd said:

Where are you selling books at market value? Even Heritage takes 30% so you are only selling at 70% market value, and if you go to a comic shop you are lucky to start negotiating at 50% of FMV.

Market Value and Net Profit are not the same.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:01 PM, Nick Furious said:

Ease up on the Straw-Man arguments.  Where did "going to zero" come from?  There's a lot of space between "falling in value" and "going to zero".  The legitimate question is; will there be some impact on values...or zero impact on values?

I dont know some boardies said it 100 pages ago.  I am just simply asking others do they agree with some of people here.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:57 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Others replied you are just the one who kept it going the longest.

Yes other people replied a couple who didn't give the answer you wanted so you put hidden posts about trying to catch a rabbit and then another user with 70 total posts. You are just trying to stir drama and that's fine for you but just admit it don't act like you are trying to show hypocrisy of people that complain on the forums a lot.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:03 PM, pdags said:

Honestly, you're kind of being a jerk and ruining the thread.

No need for name calling

On 1/4/2024 at 8:49 PM, ShaggyB said:

Hahaha i see that a lot... in fact the newest fancy LCS near me gives 35% value on slabs if you sell to them.

People have to be desperate for that in my opinion

Or selling stolen items, of which the victims may not even be aware.  Ofttimes a relative (or soon to be ex) who lives in the home doing the pilfering.  My buddy owned my nearest/LCS and has told me many of those stories. That said he is or rather was Comic Book Dealer therefore as long as the price was right he did not care if they were hot.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:01 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Market Value and Net Profit are not the same.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:03 PM, pdags said:

Honestly, you're kind of being a jerk and ruining the thread.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:04 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

No need for name calling

Calling someone a jerk and saying someone is being kind of a jerk are not the same.

On 1/4/2024 at 5:42 PM, shadroch said:

I'm not sure Ewert did anything illegal. He submitted books and CGC missed the fact they were micro-trimmed.  It's unethical and immoral, but where is the crime? 

Crime? Where did I say anything about crime?

On 1/4/2024 at 6:08 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Screenshot_20240104_210135_Instagram.thumb.jpg.97fce7955e6d389e888c04da62427396.jpg

Where are they getting the ASM #300 % from?  That seems really high.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/4/2024 at 6:09 PM, MAR1979 said:

This is not a response to any particular post; Nature abhors a vacuum. When Roy was banned the gap was simply filled.

Wait Roy got banned? 

On 1/4/2024 at 5:58 PM, gmasstermcd said:

I can answer this question if you can tell me what "market value" is? How about just use an example. What is market value for XMen 101 in 9.8?

On 1/4/2024 at 6:12 PM, wiparker824 said:

Yes but for this one:

For example, they all have the 6/26/23 grade date. But the only one on the list is the 004 book, which happens to be the MJI 9.8 ASM 252. So if that book is a reholder which is the believed theory, then all of the other books that have that same grade dates would be books the user submitted then sent back all of for reholders? But if that’s true why is only one included.

Couldn't they just be valid books he sent in to be graded for the first time, along with the book to reholder?  Maybe part of the strategy - it seems like it would be less scrutinized if he sent in a reholder along with a bunch of books to be graded for the first time.  If a book was only submitted/graded once, they are probably considering it to be legit.