• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2024 at 5:50 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

If you know which ID is his, out him. 

:baiting:I think she did 

On 1/7/2024 at 3:18 PM, mosconi said:

The JIM #83 was the book that made me stop in my tracks.  Very suspect.

As far as Dupcak, if you look at his auction raw books, almost every one of them has the appearance of trimming.  On some of the auctions he used to disclose the trimming in the description, and on others he chose not to disclose.  He is an individual of many deceptive skills and extremely knowledgeable in all their practices.  He was quite the wealth of information when he used to post on these forums...

He posting on this very thread. 

On 1/6/2024 at 6:55 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

Look, I get it. Everyone who's concerned about this wants action to prevent it from happening again. They want real change and real results where everyone is aware of what happened, the steps taken to remedy it, and more mental security going forward with CGC and the graded comics hobby. They want transparency throughout the entire process so they can each individually feel better, whether affected personally or not.

I'm just being realistic in saying that based on what's gone on in the past, none of that will happen.

Wow just wow… please shut up…  cheerleader 

On 1/7/2024 at 5:50 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

If you know which ID is his, out him. 

That wouldn't matter because he would deny it anyway. (shrug) The last time that he was outed with a different board name, the higher ups allowed him to keep posting even though they knew it was him. They felt that as long as he behaved he was allowed to play in our sand lot. I just find it ironic that he's posting on this thread regarding a fellow crook/scammer. Pot meet kettle. (thumbsu

BTW, it was @Supapimp that picked up his foul stench. 

On 1/7/2024 at 3:19 PM, magoo74 said:

Wow just wow… please shut up…  cheerleader 

No No No.  Do not call that boardie a CGC cheerleader!

Only room for one CGC cheerleader here. :banana:

image.png.6969c9112a7dfbcb85cafe1c8eb6c49f.png

On 1/7/2024 at 5:44 PM, sledgehammer said:

It defies logic that they started including scans in the grader's notes, for any other reason than they were somehow clued in to this being done.

Has anyone ever heard a logical reason other than that, why after decades of doing business, they started doing this?

I refuse to believe that there is a MVS in that custom label 8.5.

I do agree the timing is "suspect" still...
PSA started to do it with cards early in 2023 IIRC. It's plausible, I guess,  it was about Keeping up with the Jones?  

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/7/2024 at 3:54 PM, MasterChief said:

Just to recap with additional comment and recommendation...

Your FF#2 is an original owner book purchased by Stu Janis and dubbed the “Christopher Avenue Collection” by Comic Connect.

Comic Connect submitted the book for grading to CGC and it was subsequently certified a Universal 8.0 on November 5, 2013. It was brought to market by Comic Connect along with the rest of the Christopher Avenue Collection and first sold on March 12, 2014, per their website listing.

As was pointed out by several forum members, the book is the same copy from initial certification until now. No manipulation is visually apparent, trimming or otherwise, when comparing all subsequent resale images. It is the same book.

What now?

IMHO, the YouTube influencer that led you to believe your book was trimmed along the bottom and right side, which was sold to you by the suspect perpetrator of “Slab Swap,” needs to issue a public retraction and state that he made his accusations without the benefit of conducting visual analysis of all publicly available imagery before broadcasting his reckless statements. He used your book as his big bombshell announcement to tie the alleged perpetrator into it, along with publicizing the involvement of a “major comic book shop” in NYC, which together fueled his sky-is-falling rhetoric and hobby-implosion fearmongering. While he comes across as a good guy, and he very well may be, that particular video is counterproductive in the discovery of suspect fraud in the purported Slab Swap scandal.

PS. If he is suggesting that the book was trimmed before certification, then he needs to states so with clarity and precise language. That would then mean CGC and Metropolis Collectibles/Comic Connect collectively missed the trimming. If that is the case, then resubmit your book to CGC for that reason and that reason alone. Not because it’s a suspect book of Slab Swap. (thumbsu

Who is the youtuber you are referring to?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/7/2024 at 6:54 PM, MasterChief said:

Your FF#2 is an original owner book purchased by Stu Janis and dubbed the “Christopher Avenue Collection” by Comic Connect.

Comic Connect submitted the book for grading to CGC and it was subsequently certified a Universal 8.0 on November 5, 2013. It was brought to market by Comic Connect along with the rest of the Christopher Avenue Collection and first sold on March 12, 2014, per their website listing.

As was pointed out by several forum members, the book is the same copy from initial certification until now. No manipulation is visually apparent, trimming or otherwise, when comparing all subsequent resale images. It is the same book.

What now?

IMHO, the YouTube influencer that led you to believe your book was trimmed along the bottom and right side, which was sold to you by the suspect perpetrator of “Slab Swap,” needs to issue a public retraction and state that he made his accusations without the benefit of conducting visual analysis of all publicly available imagery before broadcasting his reckless statements. He used your book as his big bombshell announcement to tie the alleged perpetrator into it, along with publicizing the involvement of a “major comic book shop” in NYC, which together fueled his sky-is-falling rhetoric and hobby-implosion fearmongering. While he comes across as a good guy, and he very well may be, that particular video is counterproductive in the discovery of suspect fraud in the purported Slab Swap scandal.

PS. If he is suggesting that the book was trimmed before certification, then he needs to states so with clarity and precise language. That would then mean CGC and Metropolis Collectibles/Comic Connect collectively missed the trimming. If that is the case, then resubmit your book to CGC for that reason and that reason alone. Not because it’s a suspect book of Slab Swap. (thumbsu

I am going to contact cgc tomorrow and submit for evaluation. The book is suspect because of the source and in hand it has questions imo. I will let cgc figure it out. Trimming and other defects can be missed 

On 1/7/2024 at 6:56 PM, mrd160 said:

I am going to contact cgc tomorrow and submit for evaluation. The book is suspect because of the source and in hand it has questions imo. I will let cgc figure it out. Trimming and other defects can be missed 

And down the rabbit hole we go my friend…

On 1/7/2024 at 3:54 PM, MasterChief said:

Your FF#2 is an original owner book purchased by Stu Janis and dubbed as being from the “Christopher Avenue Collection” by Comic Connect.

What now?

Said YouTuber is live right now if you want to talk to him directly.....

On 1/7/2024 at 3:57 PM, MasterChief said:

He was okay to listen to back with some of the "whatnot" drama, but he has become very much like the others with too many clickbait videos now IMO.

I find him and stickygoose to be on the lower-tier of comic Youtube channels.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Please excuse the duplication in effort here if this is one of the books that's already been shown, but just wanting to confirm NM 98 CGC 9.8 (MJ insert) Cert: 0180388004, as this book is now in my range of the dataset and I've norticed a change. It's on the impacted list. Can someone please confirm this has already been covered. Thanks

All I can say is I bought this book from the person that has been “suspected” of switching slabs. One of the books offered to me in the initial text thread is on the CGC list so this book warrants extra scrutiny. knowing what I know about this seller made me question the book. I showed it to two different dealers who said they thought it could be trimmed. I said I was on the fence and will let CGC figure it out and that’s where I am. Also he was set up at a show  and he wasn’t alone…. That’s how I met him. I’m just gonna share what I know with CGC and let them figure it out. I’m honestly tired of talking about it. But as far as I’m concerned any book touched this persons hands warrants additional scrutiny and due diligence needs to be done.period. 

Edited by mrd160

On 1/7/2024 at 6:54 PM, MasterChief said:

Your FF#2 is an original owner book purchased by Stu Janis and dubbed as being from the “Christopher Avenue Collection” by Comic Connect.

What now?

No way you can make any conclusions about trimming from that grainy photo that influencer was showing.  Frankly you can't even do it from a sharp photo... all you can do is speculate.  From the clearer ComicConnect photo that emerged, it looked to me like the book wasn't trimmed... but again, that's still just speculation without the book in hand.

On 1/7/2024 at 7:15 PM, EastEnd1 said:

No way you can make any conclusions about trimming from that grainy photo that influencer was showing.  Frankly you can't even do it from a sharp photo... all you can do is speculate.  From the clearer ComicConnect photo that emerged, it looked to me like the book wasn't trimmed... but again, that's still just speculation without the book in hand.

It is MY book, I have it in hand and am not 100% sure.