• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,029 posts in this topic

The New York shop’s Instagram has a couple of the scammer’s slabs with the rug background, specifically the JIM 8.0 that’s on CGC’s list. Looking like they got scammed too.

I’m willing to bet the SS books are legit. 

Edited by Mikey C

On 1/9/2024 at 9:58 AM, pdags said:

I don't like being purely speculative, but If the scammer simply stops everything, lays low, and burns all the evidence, I feel he'll get away with it.  I hope I'm wrong, but CGC doesn't seem to have a grasp on the situation and we still don't know if the law enforcement is involved.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:00 AM, mrd160 said:

sadly i agree 100%

Why do you both think you are entitled to that information from CGC?  That makes no sense.

None of us know what they are doing currently.

Both of you mostly post on unsubstantiated claims on pure speculation.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/9/2024 at 1:08 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Why do you both think you are entitled to that information from CGC?  That makes no sense.

None of us know what they are doing currently.

Both of you mostly post on unsubstantiated claims on pure speculation.

I am basing it on my direct conversations with the company. Hey, I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by mrd160

On 1/9/2024 at 10:11 AM, mrd160 said:

I am basing it on my direct conversations with the company. Hey, I hope I'm wrong.

Wait a sec, aren't you one of the folks who bought a suspect book? 

If anyone here deserves some friggin' answers, it's this guy.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:11 AM, mrd160 said:

CGC is not going to discuss an ongoing investigation with anyone outside of the company and the police.

General public isn't going to be getting a play by play.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/9/2024 at 1:13 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

CGC is not going to discuss an ongoing investigation with anyone outside of the company and the police.

I agree with that 100% and I don't expect anything. What I will say is that I have not "speculated" on anything. I have dealt with all parties face to face ( the scammer and the shop in brooklyn) and have made a point of not putting too much info out there. I just want to see the investigation take it's course....no which hunt....wherever that leads. I think that is a reasonable position

On 1/9/2024 at 1:07 PM, Mikey C said:

The New York shop’s Instagram has a couple of the scammers slabs, specifically the JIM 8.0. Just need to scroll down a bit.

Link?

On 1/9/2024 at 10:13 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

They absolutely, positively can let everyone know that they have involved local/state/federal law enforcement agencies. You can imagine the poop disturbance behind the fan if they said they were, and actually were not.

On 1/9/2024 at 12:13 PM, agamoto said:

Wait a sec, aren't you one of the folks who bought a suspect book? 

If anyone here deserves some friggin' answers, it's this guy.

(worship)

My blood pressure is going up.

lol

On 1/9/2024 at 12:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 1/9/2024 at 12:07 PM, Mikey C said:

The New York shop’s Instagram has a couple of the scammers slabs, specifically the JIM 8.0. Just need to scroll down a bit.

Link?

Photos are all 4-5 years old.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:17 AM, mrd160 said:

I agree with that 100% and I don't expect anything. What I will say is that I have not "speculated" on anything. I have dealt with all parties face to face ( the scammer and the shop in brooklyn) and have made a point of not putting too much info out there. I just want to see the investigation take it's course....no which hunt....wherever that leads. I think that is a reasonable position

I am just getting caught up have you named who the scammer is here earlier?

On 1/9/2024 at 10:17 AM, agamoto said:

They absolutely, positively can let everyone know that they have involved local/state/federal law enforcement agencies. You can imagine the poop disturbance behind the fan if they said they were, and actually were not.

Pretty sure they said that in their last statement.   They were in fact starting a investigation.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 1/9/2024 at 1:19 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

I am just getting caught up have you named who the scammer is here earlier?

Pretty sure they say that in their last statement.

I will not dox someone. It just isn't right IMO and can create a dangerous situation. Also, while I met him through a dealer, I personally have no idea what level of involvement they have.They could be victims as well. That is why you do an investigation

On 1/9/2024 at 12:22 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 1/9/2024 at 12:19 PM, sledgehammer said:

Photos are all 4-5 years old.

If I’m looking at the right Instagram page, this pic is interesting….

IMG_9675.jpeg.0f56e9adc245a4daef742661e4a65ee4.jpeg

I could be funny and name 4-5 guys that post photos like that here.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:22 AM, mrd160 said:

I will not dox someone. It just isn't right IMO and can create a dangerous situation. Also, while I met him through a dealer, I personally have no idea what level of involvement they have.They could be victims as well. That is why you do an investigation

Did you tell CGC who you think he is?

On 1/9/2024 at 1:27 PM, wiparker824 said:

Now that it’s out there what about these ones on the same IG:IMG_2327.thumb.jpeg.325d0ecd1d2e3e81d006b4dcc36bce3e.jpegIMG_2326.thumb.jpeg.60cb18460679e296bb56bf2a68a8727b.jpegIMG_2325.thumb.jpeg.446e110a70c8575ae4f82ad66a8a4ade.jpegIMG_2308.thumb.jpeg.fd535ed5a59ae31648a8a9994e81f65b.jpeg

all just interesting collections of books. 

I saw that. The cert numbers are blacked out on the asm 300's. Is that common....like I said I don't do instagram

Edited by mrd160

On 1/9/2024 at 10:29 AM, mrd160 said:

Yes, both the fraud investigators and Matt Nelson directly. I want to be clear, I hate social media and message boards. No offense people lol...just not my thing.Also, I generally never buy slabs. I spent years learning to grade and spot resto so I didn't have to. I shared info to try and help fellow collectors. I really don't care beyond that. I have been collecting since 1973 and have submitted 0 books to cgc, just not my thing. My wife, who is an attorney spent a lot of time drafting the e-mail detailing what we KNEW and forwarded it to the proper people. After that, it's up to CGC.

Okay so from what you just said it sounds like CGC is doing an investigation. (shrug)

Right, and after that it will all be internal till maybe you see the final results.

Edited by NewWorldOrder