• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #252 CGC 9.8 Record Sale - something fishy going on? - Holder Tampering Incident confirmed by CGC
50 50

9,028 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2024 at 11:40 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Any video on 'how to do a crime, especially one that is under investigation"

Hit me as iffy at best. If not well hey, call me more wary or ignorant either one. :)

Just to further clarify, instead of edit.

When that video was posted here, it was the OOh Wow this is how they did it and all it takes posted with the video. You could argue what was "said in the video" but the intent was clear enough from the video to post here with the tagline, "how the scammer did it and how easy it is, fix it CGC "or else eek :eek: because now that this video is out there everyone knows"

If you don't think that CGC will guard it's revenue against such, then you're on your own

On 1/12/2024 at 9:35 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well ya, that is the discussion these vidoes are having lol it would be weird to think ( if you've watched some of them) that it is just how to deslab and get the raw.

That isn't what "these videos" discuss, and I shouldn't have to clarify. Not saying "CGC will" but they have every right too.

And that is all I have to say about that :) but thanks to the precious videos, that are "MUST SEE" AND OH WOW"! 

I now know how to do it too, and I wish I didn't hm 

Quite frankly, if you think Rick Morgan's testing of both the CGC and CBCS cases is somehow intended to be a teaching tool at SmammerU, then your arse is out a country mile.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:49 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just to further clarify, instead of edit.

When that video was posted here, it was the OOh Wow this is how they did it and all it takes posted with the video. You could argue what was "said in the video" but the intent was clear enough from the video to post here with the tagline, "how the scammer did it and how easy it is, fix it CGC "or else eek :eek: because now that this video is out there everyone knows"

If you don't think that CGC will guard it's revenue against such, then you're on your own

I would love to see CGC try to sue him, they'd get hit with an anti-SLAPP suit so fast it might actually blow the sonic welds on their cases open.  

On 1/12/2024 at 7:40 AM, William-James88 said:

This part makes 0 sense to me in terms of causality. CGC is not the victim, only the people who trusted CGC are the victims. CGC is an unknowing accomplice because the only reason this discussion is even happening is because CGC released a book into the wild where the holder was not indicating the proper content (this ASM 252).

As a customer, knowing that CGC prosecuted this person to the full extent of the law does not in any way make them more credible to me. I don't see how it would make anyone feel better, all it does is remove blame on their part. I don't care if the nefarious behavior is accepted or not, I care far more about the nefarious behavior being possible or not. There will always be bad actors and scammers, prevention is the key, punishment does nothing to make me feel better about anything. All punishment does is tell the bad actors to smarten up about how they undergo their nefarious activities so that they don't get caught.

EDIT: Of course, I don't think any culprit should get off the hook, this is not an either or. I am simply referring to what solutions would make me personally feel better about continuing my business with CGC.

I'm not saying CGC is the victim.  What I am saying is CGC needs to follow through on their previous statement and forcefully prosecute this individual, and I do mean incarceration.  We can't have another Ewert result here, that would not be acceptable.  But most importantly, which I did state in my post, CGC needs to address their weaknesses and come forth to the community with a clear explanation of their new safeguards.  Being silent on this matter will not be a solution and I'm patiently waiting to hear what changes they plan to make :popcorn: 

Edited by mosconi

On 1/12/2024 at 11:56 AM, agamoto said:

Quite frankly, if you think Rick Morgan's testing of both the CGC and CBCS cases is somehow intended to be a teaching tool at SmammerU, then your arse is out a country mile.

Ok explain to me the intent of the video?

Would @William-James88 have used it to get his raw out? The intent is so plain to see. Maybe you think he skirted the issue while still getting "the point 👉 across?"

I really don't understand why you of all people would defend them. Everyone knows why the video was posted. It is all hear plain as day, if you think a jury will think why these videos appeared while this YouTuber is aware of the scam and all the people in comments in this thread point otherwise, then I don't want you as my lawyer

Still waiting for the "intent!" 

And I hope you get your story straight, as you may need to testify on his behalf as just a "crack out video"

Despite the pages of how everyone else took it, including you, saying CGC fix your slab or else. @agamoto

image.png.d4fc4ccebc04545c85154be341cae04a.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I think CGC should start printing a high resolution scan of the ungraded book on the CGC label (maybe even front of book on front of label and back of book on back of label) - I think it would make things safer.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Well ya, that is the discussion these vidoes are having lol it would be weird to think ( if you've watched some of them) that it is just how to deslab and get the raw.

That isn't what "these videos" discuss, and I shouldn't have to clarify. Not saying "CGC will" but they have every right too.

And that is all I have to say about that :) but thanks to the precious videos, that are "MUST SEE" AND OH WOW"! 

I now know how to do it too, and I wish I didn't hm 

That's fine. And no, I didn't watch the videos. I was just reading the forums and they were nearing what seemed like Black and White rules for what should be posted, but I misread that.

Trade off for "making the video" seems weak.

I was just sticking my slab in the oven officer everyone does it!

1st amendment or not against a billion dollar company 

On 1/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, comicjel said:

I think CGC should start printing a high resolution scan of the ungraded book on the CGC label (maybe even front of book on front of label and back of book on back of label) - I think it would make things safer.

They already have a high quality scan of the ungraded book which links back to the cert number so what you are asking for is already in place. It does make things safer for the future. The issue is with all graded books before this was recently put in place.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:22 PM, William-James88 said:

That's fine. And no, I didn't watch the videos. I was just reading the forums and they were nearing what seemed like Black and White rules for what should be posted, but I misread that.

No worries. He's got a point on first amendment and intent. Although we all know the intent :roflmao:

I said pennywise and pound foolish imo

I like you wasn't trying to argue or reply from my perspective prove a point, it's just something I wouldn't do.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:26 PM, BrashL said:

Or they could just, ya know, make a slab you can't open with your fingernail. :shiftyeyes:

Balls in CGC "court" they could do anything! hm

On 1/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, comicjel said:

I love infinity covers!:banana:

On 1/12/2024 at 1:25 PM, William-James88 said:

They already have a high quality scan of the ungraded book which links back to the cert number so what you are asking for is already in place. It does make things safer for the future. The issue is with all graded books before this was recently put in place.

Actually, they have scans of the last time it was reholdered - not graded - just sayin!

On 1/12/2024 at 11:56 AM, agamoto said:

"I'm sorry did you say CGC get a new slab or else, in the arse by a country mile? :whatthe: " to paraphrase Jay and Silent Bob ending

THE NOIVE~!!!

nXQlEK.gif

As far as "teaching video?" 

I'm sorry the certain degree of oven heat to crack a slab wasn't "instructional at all!" It, twas pure entertainment, it should be up for a golden globe!

be_quiet_its_jay_and_silent_bob_memes_09

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I defer to the lawyers here, but from my armchair lawyering, I believe for defamation to hold up in court, a plaintiff would have to demonstrate that: (1) the speech was knowingly false, and (2) was made with the intent to cause harm.  So far I haven't seen that here on these boards with regard to either CGC or the comic book store. 

On 1/12/2024 at 12:46 PM, EastEnd1 said:

I defer to the lawyers here, but from my armchair lawyering, I believe for defamation to hold up in court, a plaintiff would have to demonstrate that: (1) the speech was knowingly false, and (2) was made with the intent to cause harm.  So far I haven't seen that here on these boards with regard to either CGC or the comic book store. 

So this scammer should have waited until after these videos were posted?

On 1/12/2024 at 1:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

So this scammer should have waited until after these videos were posted?

Not sure I understand.  The scammer committed FRAUD (among other crimes).  Has nothing to do with the videos.