• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your 2024 OA Collecting Goals?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

In 2023, I knocked off eight items (wow!) from my hitlist, a Powerpoint file I compiled in 2020 with screenshots and sales/tracking info containing all the OA I would ever want. It's essentially a working model for how I research and rank art from a targeted book, artist or character, in the hopes of building out a curated collection after years of flailing about rudderless. The selling process over the last three years has brought my collection down to only a couple portfolios and frames.

Finding the whereabouts of anything from that list is an accomplishment in and of itself; securing it from there is even harder (and typically expensive). But the benefits of a sharpshooter approach means my spending is no longer scattered. In 2024, the goal will be to continue to network within the community, track down some of these elusive hitlist pieces and continue a disciplined acquisition strategy.  Fingers crossed!

Bob

Edited by Sideshow Bob

On 12/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, Sideshow Bob said:

In 2023, I knocked off eight items (wow!) from my hitlist, a Powerpoint file I compiled in 2020 with screenshots and sales/tracking info containing all the OA I would ever want. It's essentially a working model for how I research and rank art from a targeted book, artist or character, in the hopes of building out a curated collection after years of flailing about rudderless. The selling process over the last three years has brought my collection down to only a couple portfolios and frames.

Finding the whereabouts of anything from that list is an accomplishment in and of itself; securing it from there is even harder (and typically expensive). But the benefits of a sharpshooter approach means my spending is no longer scattered. In 2024, the goal will be to continue to network within the community, track down some of these elusive hitlist pieces and continue a disciplined acquisition strategy.  Fingers crossed!

Bob

I’m still sending you squirrels!! #anarchyrules 

On 12/17/2023 at 12:17 AM, batman_fan said:

What are your 2024 OA Collecting Goals?

I have only a few goals this year and every year:

1) Add more Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition villains original art (also from The Book of the Dead and Update ‘89)

2) Add more villain-centric Marvel large art pages

3) Maybe some Cracked Magazine original art

4) I’d love to acquire an original Fighting Fantasy illustration

5) And finally, to hope beyond hope for an original Garbage Pail Kid illustration

I generally consider myself lucky to find something new in any year as the Phantom Stranger is not the most popular of subjects. Nevertheless, would still like to pick up good representative pages of the character from:

Perez

Byrne’s Legends series.

Carmine Infantino (May not exist anymore. He was the penciller for the first series in 1952).

Willingham (Shadowpact)

Demon (Val Semeiks).

I had no real goals this past year--just my steadfast goal of buying what I like and what speaks to me and my enjoyment. *I did just that with no regrets this year so I count that as a major win to me!

Another goal was no "art debt" and I'm happy to report that I'm not in the midst of any time payment plans, credit payments or anything. 

I did get on a couple commission lists of artists I've been wanting to get drawings from for a couple of years, but overall, I tried to steer more towards OA and pages-and have been pretty successful on that front as well! 

Looking ahead to '24, I'm going to look to stay off of uncertain/pricey commission lists, sell a few things to buy a reasonably priced cover that has caught my eye here recently, and save for the one summer convention I attend each year.

On 12/18/2023 at 10:17 AM, delekkerste said:

I have no particular OA collecting goals for next year, just to spend (a lot) less and be more discerning. Less buying for the sake of buying after a very active 2022 (101 pieces bought/2 sold) and 2023 (104 pieces bought/1 sold). 

jesus, you're buying over 100 pieces a year?? Are these partly complete stories or all unique pieces?  I only bought like 8 pieces but they added up 

On 12/25/2023 at 4:32 PM, heartened said:

jesus, you're buying over 100 pieces a year?? Are these partly complete stories or all unique pieces?  I only bought like 8 pieces but they added up 

No complete stories - there were a few multi-strip or multi-page lots by the same artist, but, all unique pieces. Mind you, the median cost per piece acquired is in the low $1Ks, and the mean cost is in the low $2Ks so we're talking about a few chunky pieces and the vast majority being smaller, fun pieces - lots of strip art; modern comic pages; niche nostalgic favorites that not a lot of people care about; mainstream nostalgic favorites but from 3rd tier artists and/or titles; etc. We're not talking about Byrne X-Men or Miller DKR/Daredevil here...that part of the market is, for the most part, just not fun anymore given where prices are. :sorry: 

I will definitely be buying a lot, lot less in 2024 - it's been a fun couple of years of buying like crazy, but, it's time to be more targeted/focused again. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 12/17/2023 at 8:42 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Goals?

2. Fine-tuning my "Foreign Pulp Cover Art" collection and keeping a max limit of $350 per piece.

This guy is pretty amazing and he did thousands of covers and movie posters.  Can't say enough good things about his work, very underappreciated- Jose Luiz Benicio.  I first discovered his work on Spanish pulps like Brigitte en accion and other Archivo Secreto books.

https://geekynerfherder.blogspot.com/2019/12/artist-spotlight-art-of-jose-luiz.html

https://www.pulpinternational.com/pulp/keyword/José+Luiz+Benicio.html

He's clearly been an inspiration to a lot of current artists.

tumblr_ozwdkwpK2K1r18mzfo1_1280.thumb.jpg.5a3d3810309adef2511ff033b159b422.jpg

On 12/25/2023 at 8:18 PM, delekkerste said:

No complete stories - there were a few multi-strip or multi-page lots by the same artist, but, all unique pieces. Mind you, the median cost per piece acquired is in the low $1Ks, and the mean cost is in the low $2Ks so we're talking about a few chunky pieces and the vast majority being smaller, fun pieces - lots of strip art; modern comic pages; niche nostalgic favorites that not a lot of people care about; mainstream nostalgic favorites but from 3rd tier artists and/or titles; etc. We're not talking about Byrne X-Men or Miller DKR/Daredevil here...that part of the market is, for the most part, just not fun anymore given where prices are. :sorry: 

I will definitely be buying a lot, lot less in 2024 - it's been a fun couple of years of buying like crazy, but, it's time to be more targeted/focused again. 

Median and mean? And while we are at it, what was the mode?