• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My ASM 300 was just upcharged to the Unlimited Tier...
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Back in November, I had posted this thread talking about how I had stumbled upon a book that I genuinely believed to be a 9.9... well, it was an ASM 300. 

I have submitted multiple 300's that ended up a 9.8, and the highest tier I have ever been upcharged to was the Express tier - even after that tier was "removed", I still have been getting upcharges to Express sometimes.

Now, this particular copy was the best looking copy of an ASM 300 that I had ever seen, and I actually had a feeling it had a shot at a 9.9...

...but I doubt that I got the 9.9 because I was only charged the minimum $150. Don't do me like that, CGC! :cry: 

On 12/24/2023 at 9:55 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

When was the last time an ASM 300 was graded a 9.9?

seems like forever, especially considering the number of copies submitted in just the past 5 years!

The last CGC 9.9 for ASM #300 was graded in the first week of July 2013.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/273

On 12/22/2023 at 10:26 PM, Timed said:

Yes, unfortunately - or not unfortunately - it got a 9.8 :takeit: :|

Just because it is a flawless wrap in your eyes doesn’t mean it is a 9.9, or 10.0. IMO what gives these 2 grades are how the front and rear covers are cut when produced. I believe they use a template that measures how square cut either side is, if cut correct on the front or rear only, (1 side), then 9.9. If both front and back are cut accurately then 10.0.

I am only guessing :foryou:

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

Here's a fun fact: Since June 29, 2021, there have been no new 9.9/10.0 (in Universal label) for Spawn #1--over 10k copies graded total, including nearly 4k 9.8's (more than 1/3 of the total 9.8 population). Pretty wild to me, considering there were 75 in the 14k copies graded before that date. CGC real stingy with those Mint grades in the current era (at least for non-brand-new books).

I'd guess part of it is just due to the sheer volume of books the graders have to get through on a daily basis--no time to stop and really look closely enough at a really pristine book to see if it could be better than 9.8. Nice enough to be 9.8? On to the next...