• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the "first" comic book collector?
3 3

36 posts in this topic

On 12/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, shadroch said:

He's got royal blood…  At least he has a reason to be narcissistic.

On 12/25/2023 at 2:59 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Like most people born into privilege . . .

Sadly true.

Well how would you define, "collector" ?  Some were just "savers". 

I would venture to guess that the first collectors focused on saving their Superman issues and Captain Marvel books.  I mean we know that people fell in love with Mickey Mouse upon his debut in 1928 and almost immediately start building Mickey Mouse collections with the first Mickey Mouse plush doll released in 1930.  

1st Mickey Mouse Merchandise was a tablet of paper with Mickey on it. 

On 12/26/2023 at 10:50 AM, Buzzetta said:

Let us not forget MM Magazine which is much closer to being a comic than toys or merch.  I'm bet some kids collected these. 

mmmag3.jpg.424bbbfe567fd4311e1cf80913fb99d6.jpg mmmag1.thumb.jpg.c61320f4bdd6c2263f6254a6ba4de79a.jpg

Edited by Senormac

On 12/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, Senormac said:

closer to being a comic

But it’s noooot. I guess whom ever held onto Obediah Oldbuck in 1833 would qualify. Their identity, unfortunately, has been lost to time. For our purposes, it seems the only objective way to answer this is by finding the recognized pedigree with the oldest newsstand purchase. I have it on good account that some of the earliest books in the Church collection came from back issue purchases so we need to be careful to limit it to the individuals first known newsstand comic purchase. 

On 12/26/2023 at 10:50 AM, Buzzetta said:

Well how would you define, "collector" ?  Some were just "savers". 

I would venture to guess that the first collectors focused on saving their Superman issues and Captain Marvel books.  I mean we know that people fell in love with Mickey Mouse upon his debut in 1928 and almost immediately start building Mickey Mouse collections with the first Mickey Mouse plush doll released in 1930.  

I define a “collector” as a person who seek out specific items and pays more money than “regular” folks think they are worth.

For instance, someone like Edgar Church bought his hoard new and stashed it away carefully. He did buy some used at the beginning and end second hand but never paid more than cover price. I very much doubt he ever gave any thought to future value.

I consider that the day I paid $3. For a MAD #9, the day I became a true collector. Up to that point, I had never paid more than cover price for anything.