• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Astonishing #29 1951 Candaian Version? Photocopy cover?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

From what I understand this cover is the Canadian version; however, I can't find much info on it. Also, this is a photocopy of the cover, right? It's a much thicker stock paper than the rest of the book, and there isn't anything printing on the inside of the front or back covers.  I bought this in a small lot of golden age comics. Any info or clarification would be appreciated.

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

On 12/27/2023 at 5:39 PM, Point Five said:

The cover looks legit to me. For a Canadian book, it wouldn't be unusual for the cover stock to have a thicker matte feel, nor for the inside covers to be blank (perhaps US ads were jettisoned but there was nothing to replace them with).

Agreed, definitely Cnd and looks legit.  I have lots of Cnd print books with blank interior covers.

On 12/27/2023 at 4:39 PM, Point Five said:

The cover looks legit to me. For a Canadian book, it wouldn't be unusual for the cover stock to have a thicker matte feel, nor for the inside covers to be blank (perhaps US ads were jettisoned but there was nothing to replace them with).

Good to know. Thanks!

On 12/27/2023 at 8:53 PM, Robot Man said:

Looks legit to me. Another one of those super rare Canada versions. According to the Grand Comic Book database, this is Astonishing #6 in the US from 1951.

The stories yes but NOT the cover.  This cover does not match any of the U.S. Astonishing covers.  

Edited by pemart1966

On 12/28/2023 at 5:53 AM, pemart1966 said:

The stories yes but NOT the cover.  This cover does not match any of the U.S. Astonishing covers.  

Here's my copy of the Astonishing 6.  Also Mystic 1, Canadian, front and back covers.  The inside of the covers are blank, and they have a thick stock.

Astonishing 6.jpg

Mystic 1 Canadian.jpg

Mystic 1 Cndn BC.jpg

I own both those books and have scanned both of those too.

Canadian publishers were printing as many books as they could for Canadian customers to stop outflow of money from the country and help pay down the War Debt 

I assume American publishers were willing to let them supply the CDN market as long as they got a cut if they couldn't ship them across the border at that point in time.

They printed multiple copies with different covers and even reduced # of pages (US_52 vs CDN_36) so there is a lot of confusion as to what you get in the interior if you just judge it by the cover if the CDN version chose what stories they chose to shorten with a text summary at the bottom of a page on a CDN book summarizing what happened  on the missing US story pages.

It was not the greatest time in comic reading history but collectible for the rarity and the uniqueness as a result of the cover/interior combinations. 

The best time period was when the US books pg count  was reduced to 36 pgs  like the CDN ones that only printed 36 of 52pg US books.

I still scan and index these Canadian books as I can find affordable copies but hope to publish them on a Canadian comic group website site first before relinquishing the data to GCD