• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strategy for managing too many comics
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I'm starting to get many many books. Clearly i don't need them all but i have a hard time letting any go but I probably should to avoid hoarding status. What is everyone's strategy for figuring out what to get rid/let go. For those that sell, what is the best (easiest )strategy for selling larger quantities of non key books. Thanks for any insight 

First, you need to be realistic about your expectations.  Most comic shops don't need or want most of your stuff, so don't get upset when you get offers for pennies on the dollar.  If it is 21st-century common stock, you can expect $50-$100 a long box if you advertise on Craigslist or similar. some used bookstores may offer you more than comic shops.

I've been using this strategy for a while - I had room for 5 short boxes in my spare closet. Once those filled, I now have to sell something to buy something new. One short box is raws, the other 4 are slabs, so about 300 total.

Don't sell large quantities myself, but have heard that My Comic Shop (MCS) is the way to go.

Good Luck!

-bc

Selling non key common filler is mostly a waste of time. The time, effort and aggravation isn't worth the twenty bucks you'll make selling a short box. If you have a lot of dollar bin stuff, your best off either giving it to kids at like Halloween or if you do yard sells, selling it there as a dollar bin. 

I'm into comics for my own interest, not as a business so I only sell stuff to fund other stuff. When I do find a grail book I want or a piece of art I want, I find a key or two or three I wouldn't mind parting with and sell those to repurpose for the stuff I want.  

You honestly might get more value out of donating your comics (especially with the time saved).

1.  Donate a long box valued (by you) at $200, get a 30% tax deduction (of course this amount depends on a number of things, including your geography and tax bracket and other stuff).  

2.  Don't waste time figuring out what to sell for and how to sell.  Would you rather spend 30 minutes to earn $50?  Or 20 hours trying to sort and sell and grade and package and mail and pay fees and deal with returns or invite strangers to view things at your house for $300-$500?

3.  Help a charity in need.

I have been trying to sell my Son's books (mostly 80's/90's Marvel) for some time. We have sold most of the key/hot books in the collection individually but the $1.00 bin books (for the most part they are $1.00 books) that are left are hard to get rid of. He has 1500 books that fall into that category, he was asking $900.00 for all (60 cents per book) and we have only received two offers of $500.00. (.33 cents per book). All of the LCS's are not interested and said that if they were interested the most they offer for books like this would be about 20-25 cents per book.

Also wanted to add, MCS will tell you as they told me, even before we sold the keys, I sent them a detailed list of the books and grades and was told that I needed to check their want list myself for any books they may want and what they are paying for them by grade, after checking some of my books with their want list I determined it was not worth the time and effort as they were paying pennies on the dollar for books like ASM 238, ASM 298/299/300, ASM 360/361, X-Men 94, etc., most books they did not want at all.

The keys were sold over the last two years on Facebook groups that allow sales, I did not advertise them for sale, I waited until I saw what folks were looking for and then I responded, If you want to just list them for sale you will need multiple pictures, a name/date stamp, a grade and price you are asking or the Admins/Mods will not approve the post.

On 1/2/2024 at 11:04 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Also wanted to add, MCS will tell you as they told me, even before we sold the keys, I sent them a detailed list of the books and grades and was told that I needed to check their want list myself for any books they may want and what they are paying for them by grade, after checking some of my books with their want list I determined it was not worth the time and effort as they were paying pennies on the dollar for books like ASM 238, ASM 298/299/300, ASM 360/361, X-Men 94, etc., most books they did not want at all.

The keys were sold over the last two years on Facebook groups that allow sales, I did not advertise them for sale, I waited until I saw what folks were looking for and then I responded, If you want to just list them for sale you will need multiple pictures, a name/date stamp, a grade and price you are asking or the Admins/Mods will not approve the post.

MCS doesn't pay much for those types of books, but you can usually consign them and get good value when they sell or put into one of their auctions.  Going through their want lists is tedious, but occasionally I get some pleasant surprises. It also helps hone my market senses. 

On 1/2/2024 at 10:32 AM, revat said:

2.  Don't waste time figuring out what to sell for and how to sell.  Would you rather spend 30 minutes to earn $50?  Or 20 hours trying to sort and sell and grade and package and mail and pay fees and deal with returns or invite strangers to view things at your house for $300-$500?

This right here. I have blown out many stacks of comic books just to be rid of them, rather than take pictures and grade a bunch of drek.

You can try the 9.8 CGC strategy, in which you send in loads of books that have potential 9.8 grading ..then sell the 9.8's. I tried this with my entire collection of 2000 books. I screened them all with my own eyes and I sent in probably about 250 books, got about 150 graded 9.8 and sold them all on MCS. I made about 500 dollars over cost of entire 250 books (the book's initial cost and grading /shipping etc)..so not too bad. These were all books that would not be allowed to sell on MCS individually Raw. It was also fun going thru the process. 

then ....

You can sell in lots (on Ebay and MCS) for those comics that you can't sell individually (time consuming and MCS won't allow too many of these too quickly...and MCS takes a longer time to grade and post these for auction)..I did this.... you will lose money over your initial costs of buying them but you will recoup more than selling entire boxes at once.

oh and BTW, MCS states they have minimum grades for sales of raws BUT they are flexible with this rule ..especially with certain titles

Edited by Ed Hanes

On 1/1/2024 at 12:04 PM, bc said:

I've been using this strategy for a while - I had room for 5 short boxes in my spare closet. Once those filled, I now have to sell something to buy something new. One short box is raws, the other 4 are slabs, so about 300 total.

Don't sell large quantities myself, but have heard that My Comic Shop (MCS) is the way to go.

Good Luck!

-bc

Any chance we can pick those books up for pennies on the dollar? :bigsmile:

A stretegy I used is I list lots of 10-20 books locally on FB marketplace throughout the year. These are books that range in value from 50 cents to $5-10. I usually average out the cost as close to $1 per book as I can and I tend to make $20-60 off such drek lots a month when they sell. It at least moves it along. And I only have 3 long boxes to get rid of. But it took me a while to get rid of one box so if speed is your goal, you might be biting the bullet and taking the offers of 30-60 cents a book in the interest of moving the stuff out.